ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Logos

Logos

I don't know if I posted this in the right place, but if not please don't be mad! What does everyone use for Logos on their images? I've been looking all over for inspiration.

Re: Logos

BUMP! Anyone?

Tel

Well you could think of a little thing, like a little emblem that you make or something, but I dont really trademark my pictures. Theres not much chance of using a 600x400 picture anyways.

But if you really want, just put like "My Name Photography. Copyright Symbol 2007" or something like that.

Thats all I've got.

Canon Digital Rebel with Quantray 19-35 F3.5-4.5 basically Glued on. :P

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Try going to a bunch of different professional photographer's websites and looking at their galleries. They almost always have watermarks on their images, to get some ideas from. There is also software that adds a watermark to your images, it probably has templates in it to get you started.

Good luck!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Just not something I ever considered doing so I don't have a suggestion for you.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Last week there was a really easy method of adding a copyright symbol to your photos.

The first step is to open a new blank document in photoshop, with a transparant background. Make it a very large document. Add your copyright to the blank document. They used a standard copyright symbol. The next step is to fill it with 50% gray. They added an Embos and bevel layer style to the symbol, and then saved the file to a place where it wouldn't get moved or deleted.

The next step was to open a photo. Create a new action and do the following once it's recording. Go to File - Place, and select the copyright file you just created. This will place the file into your image as a smart object. Hit enter to place the smart object into your photo. It will size and center the symbol automatically. Go to your layers pallet and change the blend mode to Hard Light. Flatten the image, and stop recording the action.

Everytime you want to add your copyright to a photo, run the action, and you're done.

Here is an example of what the final image looks like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Logos-copyright.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

That's a great tutorial Mike. Where did you say you got it from?
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Hey Rick,

I saw it on last weeks episode of Photoshop TV. If you're not familiar with it, it's a podcast all about photoshop. It's hosted by Scott Kelby, Matt Klowskowski (sp) and Dave Cross. They have lots of good tutorials and tips on there every week.

I hope others find this helpfull.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Well i think Derek was more interested in the logo itself and its design rather than how to place it as a watermark, although that was nicely demonstrated Michael...

So Derek, i would suggest you follow Rick's suggestion and visit all possible photogrpaher's websites, where you should be able to find logos... other than that, Branding, or Corporate Identities if you will are truly the most important piece of design you will need to do and is quite difficult...

I suggest you also visit all advertising agency websites too, they would have lots of inspirational ideas in their portfolios... In any case, the procdure you need to go through is the following: Start by deciding what are the adjectives you attribute to yourself or want attributed to yourself... and write them down....all of them...no matter how ridiculous they may seem (DO NOT JUDGE ANYTHING UNTIL YOU ARE DONE).... then using the Thesaurus try to find other terms that suggest the same....and when you are done... sit and start selecting the ones you like... Once you have a list of about 10 (no need for less) start looking for images of those 10 words or combination of words... Of all the images you get, eventually you should find the ones that really hit (10 is also a good number)....

The most important thing you need to remember though, is that it has to be something you like, and not something others like.... It must be something you are proud to show people... because it will stick with everyone....it is something you have to live with!

The final piece of advice i can offer, is this: after you finish with one or a couple of designs, store them and leave them alone for about a week or so, set an alarm for after ten days for example, and then go back and check them out..... Makes it easier to pick out which one is the winner for you!

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Only problem I see...

Michael, yeah, that is a good idea. The symbol is impossible to miss, next to impossible to retouch out, and yet not too annoying or intrusive.

The only problem I see with your "action" is the flatten image step. I think it's a mistake to make this step automatic.

Almost all of my psd files remain unflattened. It's an important part of having the image completely reversible, IOW being able to undo any of the editing you've done to it.

You're most likely only going to load jpeg photos to the web, and photoshop (or imageready) automatically flattens your master psd file when it creates a jpeg, leaving the original unchanged.

Automatically flattening your psd files is a "one way street" that eliminates the ability to backtrack with any of your editing... :cryin:
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

This is a very good point Steve. I don't flatten any of my .psd files either.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information