ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Predator bird!

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Predator bird!

When we were at the Annaberg ruins on St. John, we noticed a few of these small falcon-like birds hanging about. I was able to snap this one - I was sadly sans zoom lens - with my Stylus. It was patient enough to let me get a great one in profile, but only one - then it flew away. We later discovered that at least 4 were nesting in the ruins. I'm sure Paul can tell us exactly what type of taloned bird it is.

Second is a pelican we watched for about 10 minutes after we hiked down the Reef Bay trail - again on St. John. At one point a seagull piggy backed on the pelican for a minute! Unfortunately, neither Reg or I caught it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

simply didn't do enough

Paul would have suggested climbing the rock scraping every last inch of visisble skin and camping out in one position overnight simply to get a shot of the Caritalofalcon looking thing...and for the Pelican shot you and Reg should have taken turns breathing thru a straw while holding your Stylus above the water line to get the shot...

Excuses for lack of zoom are so dissappointing especially coming from you...tsk tsk ;)

BTW still pretty cool shots and I'm still jealous...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Yeah but

There was a bee's nest between me and the winged ones at Annaberg! I'll scrape knees, but I don't mess with bees.

Reg had his zoom lens, but hasn't developed his photos yet. I promise you AND Paul in advance, should he have gotten a close-up of the pelican, I will post it! He was having trouble tracking the pelican - they dive so fast!

Megan

clause 1743 article 56

of the Photographers Rules of Outdoor Shot Engagement Ritualization Manual
    (aka PROSER --not to be confused for prozac) specifically states that when faced with a potential sting from a bee's nest because of the location of the subject matter you must resort to a significant other or other present person to take the shot thus enabling you to move on to safer shots...

so you are excused... will look for Reg shots...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by megan
    When we were at the Annaberg ruins on St. John, we noticed a few of these small falcon-like birds hanging about. I was able to snap this one - I was sadly sans zoom lens - with my Stylus. It was patient enough to let me get a great one in profile, but only one - then it flew away. We later discovered that at least 4 were nesting in the ruins. I'm sure Paul can tell us exactly what type of taloned bird it is.

Second is a pelican we watched for about 10 minutes after we hiked down the Reef Bay trail - again on St. John. At one point a seagull piggy backed on the pelican for a minute! Unfortunately, neither Reg or I caught it.

A SEAGULL....... what are those? no such thing, but a GULL piggy backing i would love an image of ;)

i think your bird may be a FEMALE kestrel , but the size is a bit hard to judge the species from ;)

YOU DID FINE!!!!!!!! with that camera in hand, BUT bees aren't an excuse ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

'mibad!

Thanks! The bird [kestrel?] was defininitely no taller than 12". It would make sense that it's a female, as when we turned the corner, we noticed them nesting in some holes in the wall.

I'll have to look at my pics again - I may have one [alas, from a distance] of the gull landing on the pelican. It was so cool watching the pelican diving for food.

Megan

well.. 12 inches and DEFINITELY a "falcon".. american kestrel,merlin, eurasian kestrel or hobby would be my guess. I have no clue which of the SMALL falcons migrate/ breed there.

I would say.. KESTREL is a safe ID though ;) and kestrels do nest in cavities ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

I googled it....

...and indeed, kestrels are mentioned as part of the fauna of the US & British VIs. In my perception, they actually looked about 9" high, and that falls right into the size that the website I found said [kestrels] are. I wish I had seen a frigate or two - maybe I did and didn't realize it!

Thanks for the ID Paul!

Until my next brush with nature...

Megan

your specs on size are RIGHT ahhhhhh frigate, maybe next time
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Thread Information