Predator bird!

Printable View

• 06-08-2004, 08:24 AM
    megan
    2 Attachment(s)
    Predator bird!
    When we were at the Annaberg ruins on St. John, we noticed a few of these small falcon-like birds hanging about. I was able to snap this one - I was sadly sans zoom lens - with my Stylus. It was patient enough to let me get a great one in profile, but only one - then it flew away. We later discovered that at least 4 were nesting in the ruins. I'm sure Paul can tell us exactly what type of taloned bird it is.

Second is a pelican we watched for about 10 minutes after we hiked down the Reef Bay trail - again on St. John. At one point a seagull piggy backed on the pelican for a minute! Unfortunately, neither Reg or I caught it.
  • 06-08-2004, 11:54 AM
    natatbeach
    simply didn't do enough
    Paul would have suggested climbing the rock scraping every last inch of visisble skin and camping out in one position overnight simply to get a shot of the Caritalofalcon looking thing...and for the Pelican shot you and Reg should have taken turns breathing thru a straw while holding your Stylus above the water line to get the shot...:eek:

Excuses for lack of zoom are so dissappointing especially coming from you...tsk tsk :rolleyes:;):D

BTW still pretty cool shots and I'm still jealous...
  • 06-08-2004, 12:07 PM
    megan
    Yeah but
    There was a bee's nest between me and the winged ones at Annaberg! I'll scrape knees, but I don't mess with bees.

Reg had his zoom lens, but hasn't developed his photos yet. I promise you AND Paul in advance, should he have gotten a close-up of the pelican, I will post it! He was having trouble tracking the pelican - they dive so fast!

Megan
  • 06-08-2004, 01:34 PM
    natatbeach
    clause 1743 article 56
    of the Photographers Rules of Outdoor Shot Engagement Ritualization Manual
    (aka PROSER --not to be confused for prozac) specifically states that when faced with a potential sting from a bee's nest because of the location of the subject matter you must resort to a significant other or other present person to take the shot thus enabling you to move on to safer shots...:D

so you are excused... will look for Reg shots...
  • 06-08-2004, 03:56 PM
    paulnj
    Quote:

Originally Posted by megan
    When we were at the Annaberg ruins on St. John, we noticed a few of these small falcon-like birds hanging about. I was able to snap this one - I was sadly sans zoom lens - with my Stylus. It was patient enough to let me get a great one in profile, but only one - then it flew away. We later discovered that at least 4 were nesting in the ruins. I'm sure Paul can tell us exactly what type of taloned bird it is.

Second is a pelican we watched for about 10 minutes after we hiked down the Reef Bay trail - again on St. John. At one point a seagull piggy backed on the pelican for a minute! Unfortunately, neither Reg or I caught it.

A SEAGULL....... what are those? no such thing, but a GULL piggy backing i would love an image of ;)

i think your bird may be a FEMALE kestrel , but the size is a bit hard to judge the species from ;)

YOU DID FINE!!!!!!!! with that camera in hand, BUT bees aren't an excuse ;)
  • 06-09-2004, 05:14 AM
    megan
    'mibad!
    Thanks! The bird [kestrel?] was defininitely no taller than 12". It would make sense that it's a female, as when we turned the corner, we noticed them nesting in some holes in the wall.

I'll have to look at my pics again - I may have one [alas, from a distance] of the gull landing on the pelican. It was so cool watching the pelican diving for food.

Megan
  • 06-09-2004, 12:26 PM
    paulnj
    well.. 12 inches and DEFINITELY a "falcon".. american kestrel,merlin, eurasian kestrel or hobby would be my guess. I have no clue which of the SMALL falcons migrate/ breed there.

I would say.. KESTREL is a safe ID though ;) and kestrels do nest in cavities ;)
  • 06-09-2004, 12:48 PM
    megan
    I googled it....
    ...and indeed, kestrels are mentioned as part of the fauna of the US & British VIs. In my perception, they actually looked about 9" high, and that falls right into the size that the website I found said [kestrels] are. I wish I had seen a frigate or two - maybe I did and didn't realize it!

Thanks for the ID Paul!

Until my next brush with nature...

Megan
  • 06-09-2004, 12:53 PM
    paulnj
    your specs on size are RIGHT :) ahhhhhh frigate, maybe next time :)