ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Liz

Letting go of my favorite lens

A few months ago I posted that I was thinking of selling my heavier lenses as I can't carry the heavier equipment around for very long without pain due to an accident a few years ago. I decided to purchase the Canon S5 IS to replace the longer focal lengths. Actually, when I stopped looking at the images through "L" colored lenses, the S5 gives me some nice sharp images. I was unsure whether I would ever be happy with a p&s after using the dslr. I have since come to the conclusion that it was a good decision - I actually enjoy having the S5 and use it often. However, the XTi remains my main camera - along with the 50mm/f1.4 lens. I'm keeping the 17-40L lens for wide angle and short trips. I'm also thinking of getting a wider prime like the 28mm/f1.8 for low light - indoor small groups.

I sold my 70-300IS which gave me wonderful sharp images. However, I've been procrastinating about selling the 24-105L IS because it's been my favorite lens. I seldom use it now because it's heavy so I decided to bite the bullet and put it in the classifieds.

Using a p&s along with my XTi is actually fun. I'm glad I did this. I know some of you use a p&s as a second camera and are very happy.

I also wanted to comment on the classified ad section of this forum. I have sold a 300D, an XT and 2 lenses plus small items using the classifieds - and I've done some buying. Because we "know" each other, it is a great place to buy and sell equipment. I would encourage anyone who is interested in selling or buying to try it out.

Liz

Re: Letting go of my favorite lens

Good to hear that things are working out with the new P&S. For a a couple of years in the early 90's I got weary of carrying a 35mm around and started taking a Minolta P&S 35mm with me on most trips. It worked out great for a while and gave me some really great snap shots. It was a great transition camera to the N80 and I think it even rekindled a desire to get back into photograph the way I had been a few years before.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Liz

Larry,

I knew I had to make a move - and sell the heavier lenses, but wanted to have something with a zoom. Seeing some of your images with a few p&s cameras here on PR was encouraging - you really got the best out of some of those cameras. Mine still aren't looking like yours.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Good to hear that things are working out with the new P&S. For a a couple of years in the early 90's I got weary of carrying a 35mm around and started taking a Minolta P&S 35mm with me on most trips. It worked out great for a while and gave me some really great snap shots. It was a great transition camera to the N80 and I think it even rekindled a desire to get back into photograph the way I had been a few years before.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Liz, please keep us posted on how you like the S5 IS going forward. I'm considering either the S5 IS or the G7 for my wife.

As for the 28mm f/1.8, I can tell you it's a great lens. On an APS-C sensored body like your XTi, it's really a "standard" lens. The images are much better than those from the 17-40mm at 28mm. Less distortion, better resolution, better contrast, better colors.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

I personally think the 24-105 is a great lens and I hope for your sake that you don't regret selling it, but I have to admit the range and size dont' necessarily mesh perfectly with the XTi and the 1.6 crop.

I've heard tons of great things about the 28/1.8 USM and even tried one once. Lenses in that range really seem to work well on the 1.5/1.6 crop cameras.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    I personally think the 24-105 is a great lens and I hope for your sake that you don't regret selling it, but I have to admit the range and size dont' necessarily mesh perfectly with the XTi and the 1.6 crop.
    I think it's a great fit for the 1.6x crop if you match it with a super-wide zoom like the EF-S 10-22mm or the Tokina 12-24mm that I just got. I'm tempted, but...
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Liz, please keep us posted on how you like the S5 IS going forward. I'm considering either the S5 IS or the G7 for my wife.

As for the 28mm f/1.8, I can tell you it's a great lens. On an APS-C sensored body like your XTi, it's really a "standard" lens. The images are much better than those from the 17-40mm at 28mm. Less distortion, better resolution, better contrast, better colors.
    So far, I am very please with the S5. The images are sharp with very nice color. I'll try to post some maybe tomorrow. I haven't learned all the controls yet - it's a different animal than the XTi - I thought all Canons were alike.

One thing I would mention since I tried the G7 for a few days and returned it. There wasn't anything wrong with it; however, I have a slight camera shake problem that almost never shows up in my images. However, due to the small size and not really a grip, I did get some soft images. But that's all subjective and wouldn't effect most people.

The other reason I returned it was that I really wanted a longer zoom. It was shorter than I anticipated - about 1/2 the focal length as the S5 at 432mm. I finally got the S5 - and I'm amazed at the how sharp the lens is at 432. I also like the swivel LCD. The image quality is similar to the G7. I really like this camera. It's larger than the G7 - and wouldn't fit into a small pocket, but it's a nice size IMO. The price is about $50 less than the G7 - depending on where you buy it. B&H has it for $469 - the G7 is $520.

Good luck.

Liz

Liz

Loupey

Loupey - here is a website with photos that include shots from the S3, S5 and G7........you might want to check it out. The camera is listed above the image.

http://www.pbase.com/photofreak777

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet

I've heard tons of great things about the 28/1.8 USM and even tried one once. Lenses in that range really seem to work well on the 1.5/1.6 crop cameras.
    I liked the zoom range on my XTi actually. I also have the 17-40 which I can't seem to let go of either. However, for now I'm keeping it for the wide angle - and shorter trips....although it's not quite as heavy.

I'm still looking at that 28mm......I really do want a lens for low light indoor shots of small groups. I have friends that count on me to take their birthday party, etc. pics.

Liz

I have to comment to this thread because I'm beaming.

First I'd like to say that Liz is one of the most amazing people I've met online here are PR. She's a dear dear person.

Second part is I'm now the proud owner of Liz's lens. The classifieds are a great place to buy equipment. I have a couple thousand transactions on eBay and this is by far the smoothest transaction I've ever had.

The best part is I got to chat with Liz and she is a true gift. That's the truth Liz!:thumbsup:

Now I'm going to rethink selling my IIn on eBay. I'm a believer in the classifieds.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

or you could just GIVE it to me...

Who ever ends up with Jeta's M2N will be smiling:-) Just wish I could have been able to get it from her.Have fun with your new lens Jeta

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    The best part is I got to chat with Liz and she is a true gift. That's the truth Liz!:thumbsup:
    I agree. We are very, very lucky to have Liz here!

Now I'm going to rethink selling my IIn on eBay. I'm a believer in the classifieds.
    That's awesome! It would be great if our classifieds got more popular and started attracting people to the site. Please make sure to use the feedback feature, just as you would on ebay. That's an important part of the classifieds system.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

That's awesome! It would be great if our classifieds got more popular and started attracting people to the site. Please make sure to use the feedback feature, just as you would on ebay. That's an important part of the classifieds system.
    John,

Yesterday afternoon I checked to see if there was a place for feedback on the classifieds - however I didn't get that far because I couldn't find the original 2 ads that I placed. I did mark them "sold" about 2 days ago. Does that trigger something for deletion?

And yes, the classifieds have worked for me every time. I feel that dealing with the PR community where you "know" the people, makes the difference. I've never had a problem and working out a fair deal on both sides is always much easier and faster.

Thanks for the kind words.

Liz

Liz

Second part is I'm now the proud owner of Liz's lens. The classifieds are a great place to buy equipment. I have a couple thousand transactions on eBay and this is by far the smoothest transaction I've ever had.
    I agree this transaction was very easy and fast. I too think more people on PR should consider selling/buying equipment on the classifieds here. We could also tell our photographer friends to consider PR.

As I said in my first post, the 24-105 is an awesome lens and I procrastinated for a long time before I actually put it up for sale. However, it makes a big difference selling it to someone who appreciates it - and is so happy to get it. It made it easy to let go of it.

Jeta - thanks for your kind words. I too enjoyed the "chats" and the smooth transaction.

Liz

Livin, if you were one of my boys I would give it to you.

PJ, I'm not sure how to leave feedback. I'll go look again.

Jimmy, it's all your fault I started looking at L-glass harder. I wasn't sure if me picking up yours later this week would work and happened upon Liz's. I adore my IIn, but love the III more. I think you'll be pleased with your choice.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Livin, if you were one of my boys I would give it to you.

what's your position on adoption? :-D

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    what's your position on adoption? :-D
    Ah, but I know you have a lovely Mom who I think may object.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

very true, I think she may be a little bit against it.

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Glad to see another PR lens deal has gone smoothly!
    I've done a bit of dealing here myself. That 300mm f/2.8L you see in our Canon Moderator Brent's signature came from one such deal....involving yours truly and it went perfectly! Both of us ended up where we needed to be
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I liked the zoom range on my XTi actually. I also have the 17-40 which I can't seem to let go of either. However, for now I'm keeping it for the wide angle - and shorter trips....although it's not quite as heavy.

I'm still looking at that 28mm......I really do want a lens for low light indoor shots of small groups. I have friends that count on me to take their birthday party, etc. pics.

Liz
    Liz, think in the direction of either a 24 or 20 mm lens rather than the 28. The 28 is about the same as a 50mm on a 35mm camera. If you are wanting to get group shots, the 20 would be great. I'm using a 16mm (=24mm on 35mm camera) and it does a great job on small to large groups. Try one of the others out before you buy the 28mm

Michael

Thread Information