ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Learning to See

Learning to See

It's hard to put into words sometimes, that feeling when things come together perfectly to fulfill one's vision. Learning to see is an ongoing process and I'm still on the uphill side sometimes. Especially when it comes to post-processing, something I've only started to take seriously in the last few months. Before that my vision was limited to in camera. When I went digital, I took all my old theories and habits with me. New habits are hard to establish, but every once in a while they come into play in a major way.

This photo is a perfect example -

I'm proud of it and consider it some of my best work for a couple reasons. I'd left a location I'd spent some time shooting in and hiked up a steep bank, preparing to leave. But then I took one last look down and spotted this water formation and stopped still. Then I debated going back down. My buds were getting antsy for breakfast and coffee, should I delay them? Eh, they'll forgive me (they're photographers) and they have their own ride.

Down I went. Set the tripod to its highest stance and shot. A few frames later, I knew I had something special. When I got it loaded into Lightroom I began to see its full potential. First a b&w conversion - oh that gloriously wide tonal range! Then I spent a good deal of time with curves, blacks and fill light. Experimenting. Comparing. Tweaking. A square crop brought it focus and symmetry. I couldn't believe how well it came out.

Another aspect is that I think if I'd shot this with my old camera, it wouldn't have turned out so well. It doesn't have the dynamic range needed not to blow the highs and clip the lows and the kit lens isn't as sharp as this. For me it's a clear-cut example of why I bought my new gear and justification for the expense. Without it, this would have probably been on the digital scrap heap. Instead, I think I'm going to print and frame it.

It isn't often I get in a groove like I did with this photo and I usually don't write long, philosophical posts like this, but it's part of my satisfaction with my work; something hard to find these days. In my journey to see it's a success. I'm sure you guys understand.

Re: Learning to See

Very nice, I really like the softness of the water in contrast to the high lights on the rocks.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

It is great when you are able to capture just what you saw and wanted.
    I wish they weren't so rare for me but when they happen, the feeling is hard to beat.
    Congratulations
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

glad you shared, it is great!

specially after hearing the thought process and feelings behind the photo

Excellent photo. Excellent read.
    thanks
    Here's to more philosophical posts.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========
    Larger photos always available in my user gallery
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=278310

Yep, very nice work. Definitely to be proud of.

Instead of learning to see, I am working on learning how to put out my eyes

thanks guys, I'm glad you appreciate it. I felt really dorky and embarrassed and almost took it down.

Nah, don't feel embarrassed -- there's a certain dorkiness required to be a passionate photographer! I'm glad to know it's not just me...

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Thread Information