ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

A late introduction

I thought it would be nice to introduce myself to everyone here, eventhough it is a bit late. The name's Jim and I live in Long Beach, CA. I have been shooting sports action photography for a little more than a year now, not as a career but more of a passion. I'm a Detective with the Los Angeles Police Department but hope some day to retire and leave this thankless job and take up sports action full time. I got into photography while coaching my kids sport teams. I would take pictures during games and then give them to parents for free. With film this started costing me a bit of money so I started to sell them at cost and now I'm trying to make a business out of it.

I currently post pictures at eventipictures. This allows me to shoot the pictures and not have to worry about ordering and delivering pictures to parents. You can go to jimcayer.eventpictures.com to view some of my events. Take a look and tell me what you think.

I'm alway ready to learn something new or change something for the better. So once again Howdy and it's nice to be here.

Jim
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=7705
    Canon 1D Mark IIn
    Canon 40D w/ Vertical Grip
    Canon 300 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
    Canon 1.4 TC
    580Ex
    Monopod

Re: A late introduction

Hi and welcome, Jim! I'm not familiar with that on-line service but I know others here use similar services and seem to be happy with them. A lot easier than all those trips to the lab!

Jim,

Great to have you posting here and wonderful to have new faces here! Detective with LAPD eh? Impressive; I've been contemplating getting into the police thing up here in Canada but I've been undecided. Great shots by the way and enjoy posting here! You'll learn tons!

Jared

Jared, not to discourage you but if I knew what I know now when I started I would have chosen a different field. Don't get me wrong. I've had some exciting things happen and saw a heap of interesting and strange things (all lot, or should say mostly bad things) during my time that I would have never experienced, but I guess that goes with a lot of careers. But I guess thats for a different type of forum. Either way, if you do it will be a ride you will never forget.

Jim
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=7705
    Canon 1D Mark IIn
    Canon 40D w/ Vertical Grip
    Canon 300 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
    Canon 1.4 TC
    580Ex
    Monopod

Jim,

Interesting words! Definitely will have to take those to heart. I'm currently on the radio side; I'm just finishing my schooling for call taking and dispatching.

Pleasure to meet you,

Jared

Thread Information