ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Opinionated Newbie

JPEG's on CD. Readable by PC and Mac?

I am preparing a CD full of images that are all jpeg format for a friend that has a Mac. I understand the jpeg format is universal. However, is the file format on the CD universal as well? I'm assuming it's not like a floppy.

I was sure that it would be all OK until she started to question it. No I am starting to question it myself

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Patten
    I am preparing a CD full of images that are all jpeg format for a friend that has a Mac. I understand the jpeg format is universal. However, is the file format on the CD universal as well? I'm assuming it's not like a floppy.

I was sure that it would be all OK until she started to question it. No I am starting to question it myself
    Todd,

You shouldn't have a problem with a CD that is formatted for a PC on the Mac.

The Mac is able to read the CD as having data and all she needs to do is open the disk when it is mounted on the Desktop and open the files in whatever image viewing program she is using.

For your information, on the other hand, a PC will not read a Mac formatted CD. it has to be burned in the ISO 9660 format. This can be easily accomplished by using a CD/DVD burning program called Toast by Roxio.

Hope this helped.

The Mac is much more forgiving than the PC. BUT, make sure you're not including any kind of file reader program, or any other kind of .exe file. The Mac couldn't run that.

If it's just a folder full of jpegs, she should be just fine.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Opinionated Newbie
    Thanks guys. I tested the thing out myself at lunch today. No problem. However, the images from the D70 did max out her memory. She can't print them!

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar
    I'm a designer who designs on a PC and deals with Mac people all the time. PC to Mac usually has no problems...however, when burning from a Mac for PC - you run into a few little problems like NO THREE LETTER EXTENSIONS ON FILES! (sorry, this is a bit of a pet peeve I have with the Mac users I deal with on a regular basis). Mac users actually get the option to add the extensions when saving the files. If this is done, there shouldn't be much of a problem for PC users.
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Quote Originally Posted by ACArmstrong
    I'm a designer who designs on a PC and deals with Mac people all the time. PC to Mac usually has no problems...however, when burning from a Mac for PC - you run into a few little problems like NO THREE LETTER EXTENSIONS ON FILES! (sorry, this is a bit of a pet peeve I have with the Mac users I deal with on a regular basis). Mac users actually get the option to add the extensions when saving the files. If this is done, there shouldn't be much of a problem for PC users.
    The extension thing was a problem back in the day of OS 8. Since OS 9 and now with OS X, file extensions are common place. I have only found that the Office suite gives you the option of adding or hiding the file extensions. Go figure!!! Every other program that I encounter from Photoshop to Safari they all automatically add the file extension.

BTW Todd, mention to your friend that the biggest upgrade that a person can do to any computer is to add more RAM. Put as much in as you can afford.

Thread Information