ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Kansas City road trip

A few years ago I remember reading about Hallmark (of greeting card fame) donating their photography collection to the city's art museum. I guess at the time I didn't understand the magnitude of either the collection or the place but I finally made it there last weekend. No, it's not a repository of puppies and kittens but it's an absolutely amazing collection of which I saw only the small part of it that was on display. This includes originals by Ansel, Matthew Brady, W. Eugene Smith and so many others it's amazing. One of the big surprises to me was the Daguerreotypes including an actual photograph of Harriet Tubman from about the 1840's. The building itself is also a work of art, and contains an equally impressive collection of paintings, sculpture and other media. Big shocker: admission is free (but donations are appreciated).

Here are a few shots of it from my LX3. I'm trying to be worthy of it, but if I would have been just that much quicker with the first shot...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kansas City road trip-kc2.jpg   Kansas City road trip-kc1.jpg   Kansas City road trip-kc3.jpg   Kansas City road trip-kc5.jpg   Kansas City road trip-kc4.jpg  

Re: Kansas City road trip

Great stuff! The white glass panel shot is right up my alley...
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Liz

These are excellent! Did you use flash? I just love the LX3 for the quality of the images, the awesome 24mm wide angle and fast 2.0 Leica lens. Your photos are examples of what the camera is capable of in the right hands.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. This looks like a place I'd definitely like to visit some day.

Liz

Sounds like a rewarding trip Steve. I love to stumble onto places like that. Your images are stunning love them all, but number three takes the prize for me. I love the progression or shapes, angles and patterns.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks! Liz, no flash - I hardly ever use it in cases like this. In fact the one time I've so far used it with this camera (work-related documentation) I couldn't figure out how it worked. OT, the third shot is a sculpture and I knew I had to do something with it!

I brought this camera instead of the DSLR because it's easier to carry of course, but also to force me to get used to it. I really haven't done much with it just yet... I'm quite happy with it but it does take a fair amount of noise reduction to clean up the shots. Still, it is possible to do it and I think most of these are ISO400.

wannabe

what you didnt stop and say Hi. next time hit me up. Did you make it to the Liberty Memorial? The plaza in nice place to shoot. we have the most fountains out side of greece in the world.
    Shots are great. I always wanted to go to the Nelson Art Museum to shoot.
    D700
    85mm 1.8 D
    24-70 2.8 ED
    70-200 2.8 ED VRII
    2xSB900
    Elinchrom Ranger RX 1100watt heads.

http://dustindraperphotography.com/

Didn't realize any PR-ers were in KC. The fountains were great, but most weren't running so I didn't shoot them. Coincidentally I haven't seen Buckingham Fountain in Chicago running in many years - seems like I'm always there only in the winter. Did not make it to the Liberty Memorial - quick trip, only in town a day and a half. Nice place and I'll hope to make it back again someday.

Thread Information