ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Just for a discussion?!

At what megapixel will digital cameras overtake film (in quality)? I personally won't make the switch until we're have at least 10 megapixels at a reasonable price. What does everyone else think?
    Justin

Re: Just for a discussion?!

Quote Originally Posted by JTurner538
    At what megapixel will digital cameras overtake film (in quality)? I personally won't make the switch until we're have at least 10 megapixels at a reasonable price. What does everyone else think?
    Justin
    10 would do it. But there are more things than res to cosider.

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

LOL, it made that pass some time ago. I challenge anyone to be able to tell the difference. If your not getting the results you want, it's not becuase of the MB. I have 30 inch prints from our 3.25 Canon D30. Not to brag, but these prints took merit and excellence for the Professional Photographers of Canada which are judged by master photographers. But who's the real expert? The client, and our clients don't give a rat's *ss how many MP you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgy
    But who's the real expert? The client, and our clients don't give a rat's *ss how many MP you have.
    Hear! Hear!

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

misanthrope

I agree with the others. It's not about the # of MP you have. To me, 6 is more than enough and like Hodgy said, you can enlarge files pretty big with less resolution than you think you'll need. For me with digital it's about the exposure latitude. My experience with digital is that it's worse than slide film, and so is pretty useless for me. If I can't shoot in contrasty conditions without blowing out the highlights or losing the shadows to darkness, then it's just a waste of time. The resolution is already just fine on digital. But even more important to me is being able to afford high-resolution lenses. When the prices come down on really good glass, then I will be happy. You can stick a crappy lens on a 15 MP camera and get a crappy pic that you can enlarge to your heart's content. But a superb lens on a 3 or 4 MP camera will still be the winner.
    And again, the client/customer doesn't care about your equipment. They care about the results. If they get excellent images, then who cares how you came by them? I have a friend who does baby portraits in her garage with a 4 MP p&s and gets excellent results- people are banging down her door to get their kids done. Compared to the one local portrait photog here (small town) who shoots the 1Ds MKII, they are on a par. It's not about MPs or fancy functions or looks- it's about the images you end up with.
    I think in 5 years, people will laugh at 4 MP, and 20 will be pro standard. But those 4 MP cameras will still be holding their own against their huge-file high-rez competitors.
    All this coming from a film shooter...
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

well, we shoot weddings in contrast situations all the time with great success. The trick? Expose for the hightlights like you would chromes. You can alwasy bring up shadows and midtones in PS afterwords. You can bring back shadow, but you cannot bring back hightlights. I shoot with that in mind and watch my histogram to make sure that the hightlights are there, but not gone.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Not only agree, but find it very odd...

...that these discussions are taking place now when they are topics that most of us felt were settled a couple of years ago.

Did a group of photographers crawl out of a time capsule or something???
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Now now Stevarino,

"these discussions are taking place now when they are topics that most of us felt were settled a couple of years ago.Did a group of photographers crawl out of a time capsule or something??? "

I think there are still plenty of people around to whom digital is new and aren't with the current state of professional photography. Certainly we can afford a little patience to still answer these basic questions? LOL

Rickster
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

As usual, Rick, you're right...

Hey, I've been sick all week. Felt good enough to come online today, but guess I'm still a little pissy...

If folks want to keep discussing these things, think I'll just stay out of the whole mess!
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Lightbulb Re: Just for a discussion?!

Dear All,

I think that in a sense, if we concentrate on digital versus film, we are missing the point (not disrespect, present company accepted ). What matters is the photographer. You could have a ten MP camera and the best equipment, but if you don't have the talent or skill, then it doesn't matter. To paraphrase another author, "...if I have all camera equipment, a ten MP camera, and studio lighting, and yet have not the gift of the photographer's eye, then I am nothing...". You decide.

Dzerzhinski ;)
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hey Steve -

"If folks want to keep discussing these things, think I'll just stay out of the whole mess!"

I wish you wouldn't You're one of the people that folks up here deserve to hear from.

Rick

p.s. Water and Orange juice. And no stress
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thread Information