ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Japan! My journey home.

An absolutely marvelous tour!!! I am no where near saturated. Keep them coming. You are making me feel as if I'm walking along beside you. You are truly a gifted photographer and storyteller. We're very lucky to have you as part of the PR family.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks for sharing this. You took some great pictures.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Great photos. I have not taken any long trips since my days in the Army......
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

You came away with a treaure trove of great images. You've sold me on a trip to Japan.
    thanks for sharing these
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Wow!! Great pictures Loupey and it looks like it was an awesome trip!! We have some friends from Japan and he sends me pictures from the cherry tree festival every year. My parents met him (his name is Tetsuzo) on a dinner cruise in Hawaii for my sister's 16th birthday and we've been penpal's with them ever since.

My family also lived in Okinawa for 3 years (I LOVED it there!) so some of that brings back memories for me from our trips out in town. It was always so much fun! Although I hear that Japan is very different from Okinawa.

Good to have you back

Amber
    Amber
    cam: Sony a100 DSLR
    Please do not edit my images.. thanks

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

AgingEyes – Thanks for looking!

OT – Your comments are not taken lightly – my deepest thanks for such kind words.

Greg – Thank YOU for looking.

Freygr – Thanks for commenting.

Gary – Hope you do make it to Japan. It would be interesting to see and hear about the experience from the viewpoint of a New Yorker. And you would be much better able to do the urban shooting justice than me. Say, if you do go and would like a semi-translator/guide....

Amber – Interesting about Okinawa – we were told during this trip that some of the best snorkeling and scuba waters can be found there (both my kids share a love of sea life - we visited 3 aquariums during this trip). Perhaps that’s where you began your keen interest as an aquarist (is that the proper term)?
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

A "short" word about the trains...

With nearly 130 million people stuffed onto a series of islands roughly the area of California and a significant percentage of the population not having cars or driver’s licenses, mass transit is a daily fact of life. The train systems are the lifeblood of the economy. Like layers in ground itself, new subways lines are being added, dug deeper and deeper with each successive completion.

The shinkansen high-speed rail system is the pride of their train program. Setting speed records along the way and setting the standard for innovation, safety, and performance, the shinkansen (now with several operating versions) allows all travelers unprecedented access to most major cities. Tickets are purchased not unlike airline tickets. Unlike airlines, however, the departures are roughly every hour so missing one doesn’t ruin the entire day. Most importantly, they are ON TIME – to the minute in most cases. We had several multi-train transfers on the shinkansen lines with our luggage in-tow and these high speed trains will stop for only for a few minutes. So getting everyone on with all our luggage was a bit hurried. Often the shinkansen was already moving before we even had our luggage stowed in the overhead rack.

One morning I saw a curious thing – I saw many people grabbing small slips of paper from a small basket near the exit turnstiles. I asked my aunt what these were and she replied that the slips were actually “excuse slips” to give to employers because a train was delayed. Obviously a rare event in this country where punctuality is paramount.

As foreign travelers, the Japanese Railways offers terrific UNLIMITED passes at reasonably low prices. Normally, traveling on the shinkansen is not inexpensive. To travel more than 5 hours by train, most people there will fly instead. But as foreigners, these passes can be a cost effective way to see the country. Paying slightly more for “green passes” will upgrade you to the green (first class) cars which offer extra large seats that can lay nearly flat with footrests, no smoking, upgraded toilets, and air conditioning – terrific! Most times we had the entire car to ourselves. Buy the bento lunchboxes at the station and then buy a beer from the stewardess to have lunch while zipping across the country and through cities at 150mph! But because Japan is so mountainous, the shinkansen can only go through them. So popping in and out of the darkness is quite a common occurrence.

Image 1) The conductor of a E2-series shinkansen as it leaves the station
    Image 2) A E4-series shinkansen arrives at Tokyo station
    Image 3) A 700-series shinkansen (Hikari super express rail star) arrives at Tokyo station
    Image 4) Not a shinkansen but a Sonic Express train operated by the Japan Railways (crosses the mainland into the southern island of Kyushu)
    Image 5) A stewardess offering refreshments on the Sonic Express
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Japan!  My journey home.-tr-01-3926-.jpg   Japan!  My journey home.-tr-02-3945-.jpg   Japan!  My journey home.-tr-03-3343-.jpg   Japan!  My journey home.-tr-04-2677-.jpg   Japan!  My journey home.-tr-05-3313-.jpg  

See my website HERE.

Bear with me, I'm almost done

Thanks for coming along with me! I will finish this thread with these two sets of miscellaneous images.

Image 1) A high rise construction project in Tokyo
    Image 2) Oyster farmer cutting wood for his oyster beds (Matsushima)
    Image 3) “Curry to go” in Tokyo (I want to buy one of these three-wheeled, free-standing motorcycles!)
    Image 4) A peaceful setting in Kasuga Taisha shrine in Nara
    Image 5) Can you say, “vending machines”?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Japan!  My journey home.-es-01-4637-.jpg   Japan!  My journey home.-es-02-4434-.jpg   Japan!  My journey home.-es-03-0349-.jpg   Japan!  My journey home.-es-04-2353-.jpg   Japan!  My journey home.-es-05-0172-.jpg  

See my website HERE.

My story is finished

Image 1) The entrance to the Emperor’s residence in Tokyo
    Image 2) Ceremonial hand cleansing basin found in front of every shrine and temple (this one in Haniwa Park, Miyazaki)
    Image 3) Gateway to Meiji Shrine in Tokyo
    Image 4) A friendly food server at Hapuna restaurant in Tokyo on our last day – fitting reminder of the hospitality we received everywhere
    Image 5) Our last scene of Tokyo (just outside the train station)

Just wanted to share. I thank you for your patience and attention.
    Hideta
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Japan!  My journey home.-es-06-4697-.jpg   Japan!  My journey home.-es-07-3139-.jpg   Japan!  My journey home.-es-08-1263-.jpg   Japan!  My journey home.-es-09-5307-.jpg   Japan!  My journey home.-es-10-5323-.jpg  

See my website HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey

Amber – Interesting about Okinawa – we were told during this trip that some of the best snorkeling and scuba waters can be found there (both my kids share a love of sea life - we visited 3 aquariums during this trip). Perhaps that’s where you began your keen interest as an aquarist (is that the proper term)?
    It could be Loupey! lol I was about 8 or 9 when my dad first took me out snorkeling. I still remember the day. I was petrified. We went head on into a CLOUD of jellyfish. But the jellyfish were all coming straight at us and we didn't get stung. My dad used to take me out reef walking at night and we would go shell hunting and it was so much fun! I loved snorkeling. Never did get my scuba license, but I will

Yes thats the proper term

Amber
    Amber
    cam: Sony a100 DSLR
    Please do not edit my images.. thanks

What unusual gastronomic experiences can you get in Japan? I really want to fly to this country.

About a year ago, I was in this cozy country and decided to try Japanese food experiences and I advise you to try kaiseki, this is a multi-component set that demonstrates seasonal ingredients and a balance of flavors. In such places, food is served in stages, which allows you to feel the harmony of each dish. I also recommend going to izakaya, the Japanese equivalent of pubs, where you can try many small dishes in a friendly atmosphere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information