ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Jail breakers...

Thankfully it'd probably take five years to chew through the bars, and their lifespan is only about three years.

I rented the Canon 100mm 2.8 L IS Macro, and a ring flash. Got it in the evening and couldn't wait to play with it, so I started shooting my hammies.

Despite sharing four cages and a little sand box with his brother, Typhon prefers to spend all night in one cage doing this...

Since I mentioned him, here's Typhon and his brother Triton, both making a break for it.

Machaeon is also a bar chewer

--Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

Liz

Re: Jail breakers...

Hi Cara,

Thanks for sharing your sweet little hampsters. We used to have hamsters when I was a kid. I had one I let out of the cage for a while every day. One morning I woke up very early and when I let them out of the cage, one of the hamsters got in bed with my mother and proceeded to run across her neck......well, you know what she thought it was! She threatened to get rid of them, but guess she changed her mind.

At any rate, they are cute - and fun - and good for kids too.

BTW, I notice you have rented lenses before. Wow! I wish there were places around here to rent lenses. It's a great way to try out a lens vs buying it when unsure of if you really want that lens.

Nice shots.

Liz

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

How do you like the ring flash Cara? Did you get the new IS version of the 100mm macro or the older non-IS one?

Liz,
    Dose B&H rent lenses? If not, there are a couple companies online that rent them. I have used www.lensrentals.com several times and have been VERY happy with them. There is another company called www.borrowlenses.com. I have never used them so I can't comment on how they are. Not sure what kind of a selection, if any, they have for your 4/3's gear, but worth a try.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

The new IS version. It's totally awesome. I still prefer the working distances my 300mm and tubes give me, but the IQ is not comparable.

I like the ring flash and it doesn't have as much of a learning curve as I thought it would, though I still am working on getting used to using it. I do still prefer natural light for shooting, but I have gotten some outstandingly detailed shots with the 100mm and ring flash combo that I never would have gotten with natural light.

Liz, I use lensrentals.com. Very easy mail order process and outstanding customer service. Although if there's a physical adorama store near you, I've heard they rent lenses. I don't think B&H does, but am not sure.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

Liz

Thanks Cara and Mike,

No, B&H does not rent lenses. As for Adorama, I've never inquired.. However, B&H is reasonably close to me, but Adorama is a bit further. I frequently go to NYC by bus - 30 minutes from NJ. B&H is only a 5 minute walk from Port Authority where my bus drops me off.

Thanks for the heads up on the online rentals. The last lens I purchased was the Oly M9-18 which I may have considered renting first. However, when they had the $100 rebate, I took the leap and bought it. It's awesome!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    No, B&H does not rent lenses. As for Adorama, I've never inquired.. ......
    We certainly do: http://www.adoramarentals.com/

Thread Information