ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Introducing myself

At John's prompt I am introducing myself with a little background. I first started taking pictures when I got a Brownie for christmas at the seasoned age of 6. My grandmother said she would pay for the film developing. The nearby general store had a special that allowed for free film rolls, and you just paid for the developing. I grabbed a handful. First week I had eight rolls film at the developers. My grandmother adjusted her offer to just one roll a week immediately!

I have a studio out in the country behind the house. I do all kinds of portrait work. Lots of horse portraits out here. Just completed a Valentines dance for the school.

I am also working on a book on a nearby reservoir. Wildlife oriented, with a little local history thrown in. Do a lot of flower imaging too. In landscapes sunsets are my favorite. I was born in Panama City Florida and could prolly fill a 2GB card every day with marine images.

I own a Nikon D2x, D300, Fuji S5 pro, and P5000 along with a Canon 40D. My studio camera is a Sony R-1. I have compared about ten cameras to the R-1 for image quality, with NONE surpassing it. That Zeiss lens rocks.

I don't claim to be an expert at anything. I was in the construction business for 40 years. I was successful because I was passionate about it. I am the same way about photography. If I wasn't retired, I don't know if the photography business would support me or not............... yet.

I know a good idea when I steal it. All suggestions welcome.

Thank you

Re: Introducing myself

Welcome to the community. If you have browsed around the site you have already found out that it is a very friendly place to discuss photography and share your knowledge with others. I look forward to seeing some of your images.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Introducing myself

Welcome to the forum. thanks for sharing your bg and info on your current gear and works. I think the good German lenses are tops, period.My girlfriend has a Kodak P880 with a Scneider- Kreuznach lens and although the camera itself is of fair quality the images produced are stunningly sharp and contrasty from that lens.
    Looking forward to seeing your works and discussing all things photography,or otherwise.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information