ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Interesting Question

I was going through the pictures of my last wedding and a picture came up that I really liked and it was the couple bowing their heads as the minister said a prayer. It was really nice, but then a question came to mind....

Should a photographer keep taking pictures during a prayer in a wedding??
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: Interesting Question

Yes. I occasionally shoot with a local wedding and event photographer, and the only restrictions to wedding photography we've faces is no flash during the ceremony and stay off the stage (or whatever they call it) during the ceremony. Otherwise everything else was game.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    Yes. I occasionally shoot with a local wedding and event photographer, and the only restrictions to wedding photography we've faces is no flash during the ceremony and stay off the stage (or whatever they call it) during the ceremony. Otherwise everything else was game.
    Yes to all of this - you're hired to shoot because the couple likes what you see. If you "see" something, shoot. Don't call attention to yourself during the service obviously, but a few shots during a prayer or even a moment of silence would be totally acceptable.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I agree with what the others have said. If you are unsure, ask the minister before the wedding.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

ok, I just was not sure on where we were considered "crossing the line" with shots, but I am glad to know that it seems to be 'normal' to take pics during prayer/moments of silence. I will make sure to add that on my list of 'ask efficient' questions though for future weddings!
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

You need to check with the church or who is conducting the ceremony.
    Some churches or preachers do not allow photography during the ceremony, flash or not as it tends to distract from the sacrament.
    I guess no one told you not to shoot during ceremony so I guess in this case it is alright.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I guess I was assuming that you had asked the officiant about photography rules during the service - such as no flash, but unless they specifically mentioned something I'd take that as meaning that you can do it. You're hired to shoot, so any opportunity you have...

I always ask about Flash during the ceremony, or any time I am not allowed to shoot but I just never really thought about it until now about during the prayer times. I have been lucky so far with the officients I have had, all were more then willing to let me take shots when I wanted to. I just wasn't sure if it was allowed but still a faux pas for photographers.....
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

I have a photo of a bride looking up into a window during a prayer. I didn't think anything of it when I took it, I just thought it was a cute moment, she seemed a bit emotional, and the contrast of everyone else looking away while she looked up was interesting.

The day of the wedding was cloudy and rainy. As she was looking up into the window the sky had just begun to clear and it was starting to get sunny. I found out later that the day of the wedding she prayed to her deceased father asking him to give her a sign: let the sun come out if this is meant to be. During the ceremony she heard birds chirping, looked at the window and saw the sky clearing. When she saw that photo she was elated.

Moral of the story: you are paid to shoot the wedding, all of it, unless it breaks a rule set forth by the couple and/or the official.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information