ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Indoor sports - D300 at 6400 ISO

The Salon Modial Body Fitness is always a technical and aesthetic challenge. It brings together a host of Bodybuilders and Fitness fans for 3 days in a conference center lit only by standard neon lights for activities which move very fast.

This year I wanted to do pictures of one of the Step courses. Here is how I did it:

- D300 set at 6400 ISO and Shutter speed priority 1/500s
    - 85mm f1.8 lens (aperture set by the camera f2.5)
    - Continuous focussing (I tried different methods but they all came out the same)
    - Look for a subject among the closest row of Steps who has mastered the movement (reduced the possibilities to one person)
    - Shoot a lot (100 images for 7 usable)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indoor sports - D300 at 6400 ISO-4401-100.jpg   Indoor sports - D300 at 6400 ISO-4401-104.jpg   Indoor sports - D300 at 6400 ISO-4401-106.jpg   Indoor sports - D300 at 6400 ISO-4401-118.jpg   Indoor sports - D300 at 6400 ISO-4401-119.jpg  

Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Indoor sports - D300 at 6400 ISO

Those look great at viewing size, Charles. Very impressive. Your success rate might be on the low side for this, but I can't imagine it was an easy shoot with the light and the subject. It looks like dance to me and I've found getting good dance photos is really, really hard.

You should also post something on the sports forum!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information