ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Indianapolis, Vacuum Tubes, and Cables

So I've been sort of MIA since last week. I had to go to Indianapolis to support AudioREVIEW.com at a home theater tradeshow. I took tons of pictures of really expensive stuff, and a few of downtown Indianapolis. The Midwest is very alien to me. I'm very much a western boy. I have a hard time when there aren't any mountains for me to look up at or down from. But I have to say that downtown Indianpolis is very, very nice. It's got that old, well-planned, Midwestern feeling. It's clean, neat, and much less panicked than the California that I'm used to. Even though I worked hard, I came back feeling a little refreshed. I had the feeling that everyone there actually worked 9-5, then punched out and went home to spend time with their friends and family. That's not what my life is like. It was refreshing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indianapolis, Vacuum Tubes, and Cables-img_4404.jpg   Indianapolis, Vacuum Tubes, and Cables-img_4440.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hi-Fi Photos

I have a fetish for high-end audio cables and vacuum tubes. Cables especially, make me excited. The expensive ones are beautiful to me. If you don't know anything about the audio addiction, let me just say - keep it that way. You can easily spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars just on connecter cables for your system.

And tubes. Don't get me started. I don't own a tube amp. But boy do I covet!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indianapolis, Vacuum Tubes, and Cables-img_4074.jpg   Indianapolis, Vacuum Tubes, and Cables-img_4325.jpg   Indianapolis, Vacuum Tubes, and Cables-img_4145.jpg  
    Photo-John

Midwest Values

Here are a couple more of downtown Indianapolis.

While I was there, I was aware of a quiet, stolid, conservativism. There's a tangible sense of continuity, confidence, and wholesome Christian values. I'm not being judgemental. Coming from California, it was just interesting and apparent to me. It is the American heartland - not just physically, but spiritually. In New York, Boston, LA, and San Francisco, we're all hustling, frantic, and full of crazy ideas. But in the Midwest, people seem more grounded and even a modern city like Indianapolis still has a nineteenth century feel to it.

Even though I can't say I'm a fan of the Midwest - I need my mountains, stress, and esoteric dreams - I really like downtown Indianapolis. It's a really, really nice city.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indianapolis, Vacuum Tubes, and Cables-img_4411.jpg   Indianapolis, Vacuum Tubes, and Cables-img_4419.jpg  
    Photo-John

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I agree

Hey Juaney

I find the midwest to feel exactly the same way. I like its simple, down-to-earth, grounded principles and way of life. Though I find it infuriating after a while, too Definitely nice to visit, though. I broke down in Terra Haute, Indiana for a few days and it was pretty dull... finding things to do there (even with a college in town.)

On the other hand, I got a flat in North Dakota once and met the niciest people on the face of the earth, I swear! They were so kind I wanted to pay them twice what the asked for just to say "thanks!" They set me up with a used 31" tire mounted, balanced and installed for $15 And it was in better shape than the other 3 on my truck.

Back when I lived out in SF and drove across the country once or twice a year I used to hustle through the center part of the country, not being able to wait until I got from the Rockies to the Applachians, or vice versa. Here's what I found to help get me through: Tom Petty's greatest hits. If his songs can't get you through middle America, no ones will. Try" runnin down a dream" the next time you're driving through fields of sunflowers or corn

But she grew up tall and she gew up right
    With those Indiana boys on those Indiana nights
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Appropriate

I think your bumper sticker signature is very appropriate for this thread.

I just bought the first Iris Dement album and listened to it on the way home from work. Tom Petty is pretty good. But Iris Dement is has God and Kentucky in her voice. It kicks my ass.

This is all off-topic. I guess I'm stealing my own thread. Now I'll have to ban myself.
    Photo-John

Mmm... tubes... Nothing like them. I saw a picture of a Panasonic car stereo that had a tube in it, probably just a pre-amp tube with a solid state power section. Think it was about 2k and only available in Japan. Their roads must be better than here, I can't imagine a vacuum tube holding up too well with the pothole-infested roads around here! I've gone to a single pre-amp tube with my bass rig but nothing sounded like that old Ampeg with 14 tubes in it (or weighed like it either!). Cables are an addiction too - I used to use an expensive Monster Cable made for studio use when I was doing that stuff too, you can hear a difference...

We might not have mountains but have plenty of stress to go around here!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

"Our Town"....

I LOVE Iris Dement...
    Her song "Our Town" is GREAT SONG!
    I still remember when that song was played on the final episode of "Northern Exposure"
    Good Stuff John!
    Thanks for posting it..
    Good Night...
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Photo John

I'm getting caught up on posts that I missed while running from the hurricane. just came on this one. that so cracks me up and I can't understand the tube fetish but heh they look all cute there in a row.
    The shots of the city are another thing... Those are exceptional. My favorites are #2, just perfectly composed. #6 the light on the plaza is beautiful. #7 My most favorite.
    Now that I look, actually the best excecuted is the one of the tubes. Nice abstract or can be used at a Tube Worshippers Convention
    Also, you will have to ban yourself for having 7 posts in one day!
    Good Shots,
    Kit

Great shots PJ.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Ya know John, you just put your finger on why I have such a hard time finding anything to photograph around here. Nothin' to look up at, nothin' to look down on. Just trees & grass & sky & buildings.

And the "solid, Midwest values" translate into "conformity" in many cases. Meaning, we don't get many "new ideas" here. Whenever a new building is put up in town, I get all excited... until I see it's some old, familiar chain store. Many people I know like to "punch out at 5" and go home to their families. Going to the "Olive Garden" is their idea of a fancy dinner. Not too many understand my need to travel, to be part of a vibrant, interesting, open-minded community. They wonder why I don't do all the same things they do.

Of course, I've heard from more than one Californian that their neighbors are very shallow and flaky. I'm not sure I'd like that better.

Where *is* a good place to live, anyway?
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thread Information