ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Important Question

Important Question - I donno if this is the right section to post in ...if not plz tel me ..but here it goes..I have been thinking about getting into photography as a proffession...can you tel me if there is any future if I start learning it? ..here is my blog with a few pics...shadowslights.blogspot.com..and if no feel free to tell me and if you think I can make it...what field in photography shall I choose that can give me consistent income?
    http://shadowslights.blogspot.com

Re: Important Question

only you can answer that question.

But if I can offer a piece of advice. I would tell you to move away from selective colour and just shoot either black and white or colour. The selective colour thing is very very over done and it always gives the photographer the sense of creating something unique when in fact it's something that's main stream.

Concentrate on your composition, try to create strong photographs without the use of a selective colour area and see if your photograph still lives up to the same feeling of strength you get out of it.

And the best advice, keep on shooting.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Just Me

Wow, thats a million dollar question that I don't think anyone could give a strait forward answer to. No one can evaluate your talent or ability to learn and evolve as a professional photographer but you.
    However, I think the thing that many professional photographers would tell you is that you have to be very lucky and exceptionally good in what you do to be able make good money in photography. There are many people who make great income as doctors, engineers, lawyers, ... but very few photographers who do.
    For example. In any given big company, you could find tens or hundreds of engineers, accountants, ...so on but the same company could have one or two (at the most) full time photographers only.
    In the past, many photographers used to open Studios and take people's portraits for id cards, passports, and family prortraits I don't remember seeing one in years because most people now do it themselves, they all have digital cameras and printers.

One more thing that I personally use as a rule of a thumb. A profession that many people do "well" just for fun, is not the one you should adopt as a mean of living.

I think the field is very limited, thats my opinion and I could be wrong.
    Last edited by geraldb; 06-22-2012 at 03:25 PM.

I think you have talent for sure. I do think you need to work on composition and the rules. Some hate rules but bottom line using them works.
    I agree selective coloring has almost became a gimmick. You can make money in a studio but selling street shots isn't as easy. I think I read that Gary Wingrand sold some of his pictures to a museum for $10.00 a piece.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Utkarsh View Post
    Important Question - I donno if this is the right section to post in ...if not plz tel me ..but here it goes..I have been thinking about getting into photography as a proffession...can you tel me if there is any future if I start learning it? ..here is my blog with a few pics...shadowslights.blogspot.com..and if no feel free to tell me and if you think I can make it...what field in photography shall I choose that can give me consistent income?
    From those I know, a successful photography business is way more about business than about photography. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thread Information