ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: I'm new too! :)

I'm new too! :)

I've posted a couple of times in other areas of this forum, but I thought I'd say hi here too!

Plus I have some questions, which I hope I'm posting in the right place...

Although I trick myself into thinking I'm a fabulous photographer, the truth is I know very little about it. I've owned a Nikon F55 SLR for some time, and have loved it, even though the camera itself is quite evil when it wants to be, but that's another story. Now I'm looking to buy a DSLR...

So I would LOVE to learn more about digitial photography. I'm in Canberra, Australia, and am very keen to do a course in beginner's photography - either a short course or otherwise. I'm open to ideas about online courses as well, and have tried to do a bit of research, but I have no idea about which courses are dodgy, and which are actually good.

Does anyone have any ideas? Australian courses or online courses?

Or my other option, should I just teach myself? What do you think?!

If you think teaching myself is a good option, can you suggest a great book or program which will help? There's so many photography books out there, and I know they're probably all good in their own way, but I was hoping someone could recommend their favourite for me!? Or even just a favourite and reputable author would be an excellent start!

So many questions, so little time!!

Thankyou!!

Re: I'm new too! :)

I can't help with classes or books, but I can tell you that if you spend enough time here, your photography will improve.

But a class or book would be very good to teach you about the mechanics of taking a photograph, also to force you to explore different subjects.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Hello and Welcome!

I will agree with Kelly, hang around here and your photography will improve! Also I would just go out and shoot whenever possible, teach yourself, read books, read stuff online, and look at other people's work (there are a tonne of galleries here to browse through!).
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Hang out here and all of your wildest dreams will come true! Did you see Napoleon Dynamite? Nevermind...

Welcome! Other than a few workshops, I haven't taken any formal classes on photography. If Nikon School comes to Australia, it's worth checking out.

Miffy welcome to Viewfinder and to PR. While all the forums here arevery good Viewfinder is where we get to know each other a little better. I think you will like what you find here. I took a long time to jump in and get my feet wet and have been very glad that I finally did. Don't be afraid to post a picture and get some feed back either here or on the critque board. Feed back is generally very constructive don't think you will find anyone here that will flame you. If so they don't last long. We pride ourselves in being friendly and helpful. Everyone here has one thing in mind and that is to become a better photographer. There is no substitute for shooting lots of images and learning form them. Join in and have fun.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

you will learn a lot by looking at what other people post, and reading the critiques of their work.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

I agree. Just go out, and make yourself find shots. That's a huge help, just finding subjet matter, patterns, etc. That's a huge first step and a good one to get into the shooting habit.

Welcome to the boards,

Jared

Welcome aboard Miffy. I am a selftaught photog myself, and eversince finding this sight my photography has improved by leaps and bounds.

Check out my gallery, and get to posting there too!!!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Did you see Napoleon Dynamite? .
    Pedro's got your back... people here have SKILLS....

Sweeeeet. Gosh....Welcome aboard.

okay so that was weird...really this is an amazing place to learn....all that goofy stuff is fromt he movie mentioned... ;)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thread Information