ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Opinionated Newbie

I'm looking for a new lense! A related portrait question as well.

I started to surf the web, but came up with a lot of junk, so I figured I'd come to the trusted sources.

Well, I sold the Breitling watch that I won at the airshow (that I attendeddue to inspiration from the folks here on PR) on eBay and now I am looking to turn my profit around into a SB-600 flash unit, and other photography equipment. Studio lighting is an option (pop-photo has a nice article on the under $1000 kits), but I am wondering if a new lense may be in order?

I have the 18-70 Ed that comes with the kit. I also purchase a 70-300 nikor zoom. Does anyone have any other recommendations? They do not have to be nikor, but must work with the D70.

Which leads me to a related question. What is the "best" focal length to use for portraits? Is there a standard? Does anyone have a preference?

I like my 50mm f/1.8. Use it almost exclusively. And it's under $100. I shoot Canon, but I'm sure Nikon makes something similiar
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I like my 50mm f/1.8. Use it almost exclusively. And it's under $100. I shoot Canon, but I'm sure Nikon makes something similiar
    Indeed, the 50mm f/1.8D is an excellent lens. For a grand though, I'd be in line for a 80-200 f/2.8.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

My 2 Cents...

One lens I'd recommend is the 80-200. It will give you a good range for portraits.
    If you are looking for a single focal length lens go for an 85, 105, 0r 135 lens.
    Nikon makes lens in all these lengths.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Indeed, the 50mm f/1.8D is an excellent lens. For a grand though, I'd be in line for a 80-200 f/2.8.
    Could you use that for portraits? Isn't that like a 140-300 on a digital?

Opinionated Newbie
    Good suggestions thus far! I'm checking out the Nikon site for this stuff as well.

What is the concensus on fixed focal vs. zoom. Is it still true that fixel focal lenses tend to be sharper then zoom?

Not so true anymore....

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Patten
    What is the concensus on fixed focal vs. zoom. Is it still true that fixel focal lenses tend to be sharper then zoom?
    That was kind of the case sometime ago, but not now.
    The Nikon 80-200 is a sharp lens indeed!
    Here is a portrait I did with that particular lens...
    Camera was Nikon D1X with Nikon 80-200 AF-S lens
    Brian

高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

Good suggestions thus far! I'm checking out the Nikon site for this stuff as well.

Absolutely. The 85mm f/1.8 Nikkor was the best image of any lens I have ever owned.

Adina,

The 80-200 is popular due to its bokeh and the way the focal length range flattens out facial features. None of that changes with the digital crop factor, it just means you have to work a little bit further away from the subject.

Personally, for portraits, the 80-200 is great for the images it produces, but it tends to intimidate subjects. I found the 85mm and 50mm to give me better images simply because the subjects weren't freaked out by the lenses.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Opinionated Newbie
    Absolutely. The 85mm f/1.8 Nikkor was the best image of any lens I have ever owned.
    Are you talking the IF or AF?

Are you talking the IF or AF?
    AF, I never used the maual focus one.
    -Seb

My website

Opinionated Newbie
    The IF is autofocus. It's a 1.4. According to the reviews I checked out, it's incredible. But it's three times as expensive as the standard 1.8 AF. It's bot the bokeh (a new word in my vocabulary today) going too

I was checking out reviews of the 80-200 as well. They have been very positive. Here, once again, there is an option for the IF version. The IF goes WAY beyond my "not making money, just having fun" budget.

Opinionated Newbie
    Although, check this out: http://www.hotbuyselectronics.com/it...hp?item_id=475

Something is not right here. A $1600.00+ lense for $700?

Ah, I never heard it reffered to as IF vs. AF. Had you just said the 1.4 I would have understood.
    -Seb

My website

Opinionated Newbie
    So, do you have the 1.4 or the 1.8?

I'm currently leaning towards the 80-200 2.8. I just need to allow myself to swallow the price tag!

So, do you have the 1.4 or the 1.8?

I'm currently leaning towards the 80-200 2.8. I just need to allow myself to swallow the price tag!
    I had the 1.8. The nicer bokeh and miniscule increase in speed does not warrant the price difference.
    -Seb

My website

IF Means...

Ah, I never heard it reffered to as IF vs. AF. Had you just said the 1.4 I would have understood.

IF in Nikon Speak, means "Internal Focus". As in the lens barrel. It is a lot faster way to focus.
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Tell you the truth, all of the lenses already mentioned here are among Nikon's sharpest. Any one would be a good choice, but:

I personally like the 85mm focal length on 35mm. On a DSLR like the D70, the 50mm comes very close. It's tiny, incredibly sharp and cheap. Get one whether or not it's the ideal lens for you - it will always come in handy. I've got the 50 f1.4 because I shoot a lot of low light stuff, and find that 1/2 stop comes in handy sometimes. If you don't think you'd need that 1/2 stop (f1.8 is already very fast), then get the f1.8. One suggestion - spend the extra on the SB-800, it's hard to have too much flash power - and sometimes you'll need more than you've got.

The 85 f1.4 is an amazing lens. 85mm is also a good focal length on a DSLR (about 130mm) so I use it with both 35mm and digital. I've got it (and the 50 and the 80-200 f2.8 - not trying to boast, but I can tell you from my experiences) and it's one of my favorites. It isn't an all purpose lens though, so I'd get the 80-200 f2.8 first. .

You could save yourself the hassle, send me the money, and I'll buy something

Cool One suggestion - spend the extra on the SB-800

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Tell you the truth, all of the lenses already mentioned here are among Nikon's sharpest. Any one would be a good choice, but:

I personally like the 85mm focal length on 35mm. On a DSLR like the D70, the 50mm comes very close. It's tiny, incredibly sharp and cheap. Get one whether or not it's the ideal lens for you - it will always come in handy. I've got the 50 f1.4 because I shoot a lot of low light stuff, and find that 1/2 stop comes in handy sometimes. If you don't think you'd need that 1/2 stop (f1.8 is already very fast), then get the f1.8. One suggestion - spend the extra on the SB-800, it's hard to have too much flash power - and sometimes you'll need more than you've got.

The 85 f1.4 is an amazing lens. 85mm is also a good focal length on a DSLR (about 130mm) so I use it with both 35mm and digital. I've got it (and the 50 and the 80-200 f2.8 - not trying to boast, but I can tell you from my experiences) and it's one of my favorites. It isn't an all purpose lens though, so I'd get the 80-200 f2.8 first. .
    "it's hard to have too much flash power - and sometimes you'll need more than you've got."

I agree 100%!!! That's going to be my next flash.

I also have the Nikkor 50mm f1.4 lens, and I love it. I got it primarily for low light and astrophotography work. And I want the 80-200mm f2.8 and the 85mm f1.4 as well. One day...
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Opinionated Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by adina
    You could save yourself the hassle, send me the money, and I'll buy something
    If you make it something from Victoria's Secret and post the photo of you modelling it here, I may consider it

Thread Information