ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I went BIG, And It Didn't Pay Off...

I thought I'd post a pic of me with two prints that I entered into the "Springville Spring Salon", which is probably Utah's most prestigious juried art exhibit. http://www.sma.nebo.edu/Museum.html
    I had them printed larger than I normally do, in an effort to stand out a little against the murals and large paintings that dominate the exhibit. Each print is about 14"x14", printed on a 16"x20" piece of paper and framed 20"x24". These are both traditional prints, the only way to do it, in my humble opinion..
    I couldn't believe the amount of detail they both had! I was blown away when I first picked up the prints.
    I found out yesterday that I was not selected..

Brian

My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: I went BIG, And It Didn't Pay Off...

Well, YOU TRIED ATLEAST!

That B&W looks pretty sweet, but the other is not my style(not that it's bad)

Oh and since the Nikon guys are always flaunting..... I bet the Canon shooters got in

You've gotta be in it to win it, so my hat's off to you!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    Well, YOU TRIED ATLEAST!

That B&W looks pretty sweet, but the other is not my style(not that it's bad)

Oh and since the Nikon guys are always flaunting..... I bet the Canon shooters got in

You've gotta be in it to win it, so my hat's off to you!
    LOL!
    Thanks Paul, but both of these photographs were shot with my Holga!
    ;)
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

Hey Brian,

I agree with Pual... Hat's off for putting yourself out there. Congratulations on the try.

Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Too bad that you didn't get in, but it's good that you entered. You never know, you might get in next year with the same prints... And at least you've got two more nice prints you can display!

Ah, it's unfortunate they didn't get chosen. It seems who ever makes these decisions always has some sort of biasedness anyways. Great shots though and good luck with next year!

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Hey brother,

You made the effort and that's what counts. I had about 15 pictures framed at one point for showing; none of them sold. It was a big disappointment, but I refuse to quit the goal

Best of luck in your next showing. This was just a bump
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Beautiful!

Brian-
    Those look nice. Large, carefully-made prints are a wonderful thing. They're worth the money. And now you've got a couple to hang in your house until the next show. Maybe the Holga aesthetic is a little too funky for SLC?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Brian-
    Those look nice. Large, carefully-made prints are a wonderful thing. They're worth the money. And now you've got a couple to hang in your house until the next show. Maybe the Holga aesthetic is a little too funky for SLC?
    This show wasn't in SLC John, it was in Springville, in Utah County..
    A very conservative, traditional area. They are open on Sunday's though..
    In the pic, in the bottom right you see two photographs from my friend from college who does these incredible portraits using wet plate colldion. He got one in.
    Utah county is just on the way to Moab anymore!
    ;)
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    This show wasn't in SLC John, it was in Springville, in Utah County..
    A very conservative, traditional area. They are open on Sunday's though..
    In the pic, in the bottom right you see two photographs from my friend from college who does these incredible portraits using wet plate colldion. He got one in.
    Utah county is just on the way to Moab anymore!
    ;)
    Brian
    THAT made me actually laugh out loud

are open on Sunday's though.
    I don't believe it!

Is Springville one of those towns over Solder Pass, on the way out ta Green River?
    Photo-John

From your title, I thought I was going to see a picture of an arm or a leg in a cast, or a mangled bike. This is much better.

I like your shots. Cuddos for trying. I've seen some Holga shots printed on 11X14 paper, and I remember being impressed with how good they looked. The big negs do a lot to counter the plastic lens, I guess.

Better luck next time!

Paul

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    From your title, I thought I was going to see a picture of an arm or a leg in a cast, or a mangled bike. This is much better.
    haha...I was thinking the same thing!!! But hey...like everyone else has said...You gave it a shot!!!! Who know's, maybe in a few years, those folks will be wondering why they turned down such a talented artist. Congratulations for the attempt and both look like excellent works!!!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I don't believe it!

Is Springville one of those towns over Solder Pass, on the way out ta Green River?
    It's true!
    I'll be headed down there this Sunday to pick up my photographs, I'm betting it will be the only thing open!
    Springville is the next town South of Provo, you know in Utah county, just off I-15.
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I beg to differ! okay - you didn't make it into the show - jurors are fickle. Really.
    The payoff? Getting to see your work enlarged. The wonder of a great print. The ability to see it on your wall, framed, and to contemplate it over time. Learn what you like about it and be inspired to forge on with that bright red Holga, taking more and more wonderful images.

To throw a wrench or maybe a large camera into this discussion, I noticed some camera vignetting in the black and white shot. Without close-up views, it is difficult to say, but if the centre of interest was not very strong, that would be a good reason for lack of success. What were the comments of the judges?

Ronnoco

PS - I didn't meant to sound so unsympathetic! I really am sorry you didn't get in the show - I was rooting for you. Next time!

Ah! The vignetting.
    Brian shot with a Holga (toy camera) and the vignetting is actually part and parcel of Holgography.
    There are actually a bunch of his Holga shots in the Toy Camera gallery for a better look at the aesthetic.

Liz

Brian,

I'm sorry you didn't make it in - but I agree with everyone else - it's great that you did the work and went ahead with it. It's worth it. From what I can see, the pictures look good.

There is always next year - and maybe there will be something in between that might surprise you.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    Ah! The vignetting.
    Brian shot with a Holga (toy camera) and the vignetting is actually part and parcel of Holgography.
    There are actually a bunch of his Holga shots in the Toy Camera gallery for a better look at the aesthetic.
    Thanks for the info. I checked out the Toy Camera gallery and frankly I don't see a compositional or artistic quality to a lot of the work. Lens flare, vignetting, camera noise, weak centre of interest, limited colour depth etc., some technical weaknesses understandable but not ignorable and when combined with elements of design problems. A pattern from Almo was one of the few shots that I noticed that met any compositional or artistic criteria, whatsoever. Then again, some view any manner of self-expression as artistic in nature.

À chacun son gout! but perhaps some judges agreed with me. What were their comments?

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Thanks for the info. I checked out the Toy Camera gallery and frankly I don't see a compositional or artistic quality to a lot of the work. Lens flare, vignetting, camera noise, weak centre of interest, limited colour depth etc., some technical weaknesses understandable but not ignorable and when combined with elements of design problems. A pattern from Almo was one of the few shots that I noticed that met any compositional or artistic criteria, whatsoever. Then again, some view any manner of self-expression as artistic in nature.

À chacun son gout! but perhaps some judges agreed with me. What were their comments?

Ronnoco
    When asked about jazz, Louis Armstrong once said, "If you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know.", and that is kind of how I see toy camera photography...
    Brian
    ;)
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    I beg to differ! okay - you didn't make it into the show - jurors are fickle. Really.
    The payoff? Getting to see your work enlarged. The wonder of a great print. The ability to see it on your wall, framed, and to contemplate it over time. Learn what you like about it and be inspired to forge on with that bright red Holga, taking more and more wonderful images.
    I know what you meant! Thanks Megan!
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Just me and my camera

I thought I'd post a pic of me with two prints that I entered into the "Springville Spring Salon", which is probably Utah's most prestigious juried art exhibit. http://www.sma.nebo.edu/Museum.html
    I had them printed larger than I normally do, in an effort to stand out a little against the murals and large paintings that dominate the exhibit. Each print is about 14"x14", printed on a 16"x20" piece of paper and framed 20"x24". These are both traditional prints, the only way to do it, in my humble opinion..
    I couldn't believe the amount of detail they both had! I was blown away when I first picked up the prints.
    I found out yesterday that I was not selected..

Brian
    I'm sorry you weren't chosen Brian. Your pictures look great though; and don't give up!!
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Thread Information