ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

I want to share this with everyone.

No Post Processing
    My E500 had the 40-1500 kit lens on it. Not bad for a kit lens! It was stretched out to 150mm.
    Respect this man.
    I took this picture at my brothers graduation today at COTC ( Central Ohio Technical college) . This man's name is Mel Mermelstein, he is a Hungarian-born Jew, sole-survivor of his family's extermination at Auschwitz.

He is also a US Army vet. Korean War, he had said he would go back to war for the US toady even at his age.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1980, the Institute for Historical Review (IHR) promised a $50,000 reward to anyone who could prove that Jews were gassed at Auschwitz.

Mermelstein wrote a letter to the editors of the LA Times and others including The Jerusalem Post claiming he could prove that Jews were gassed in the gas chambers at Auschwitz. The Institute for Historical Review wrote back, offering him $50,000 for proof that Jews were, in fact, gassed in the gas chambers at Auschwitz. Mermelstein, in turn, submitted a notarized account of his internment at Auschwitz and how he witnessed Nazi guards ushering his mother and two sisters and others towards (as he learned later) gas chamber number five.

Despite this, the IHR refused to pay the reward. Mermelstein subsequently sued the IHR in California Superior Court for breach of contract, anticipatory repudiation, libel, injurious denial of established fact, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and declaratory relief (see case no. c356542). On October 9, 1981, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Thomas T. Johnson ruled in favor of Mermelstein, finding that he had provided sufficient evidence to prove his claim that Jews were gassed in the gas chambers at Auschwitz. The Court issued a judgment requiring the IHR to pay Mermelstein $50,000, plus $40,000 for personal suffering, and write a public apology to Mermelstein.

Read the book " By Bread Alone "

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Re: I want to share this with everyone.

Great stuff Tyson. The people who try to claim the Holocaust never happened are the same ones who try to say Roosevelt knew Pearl Harbor was going to be attacked, that LBJ was involved in the JFK assasination, that the Moon landing in '69 never took place, and that Bush was behind 9/11. Crackpots.

Just Lurking

There are some amazing people out there. I worry that as time goes on, it becomes easier and easier to dismiss some of the horrible things that people have done to other people.

On a lighter note:
    swmdrayfan, I was going to tell you to look out for the black helicopters, but since this is a photography forum, remember to set your exposure compensation at -1 to catch the correct colors

PC

drg

Tyson,

Thanks for this post. I am familiar with this story (have the book) and am glad you were priviliged to hear him in person.

These witnesses need all the attention we can give them as they are becoming fewer and fewer and we can "Never Forget".

C

On an additional lighter note,
    Don't you know that those black helicopter are so stealthy that they really aren't photographable?
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

I wanted to meet him in person after the ceremony but he kind of vanished. I do feel honored to have heard him speak and also to see him. Even if it was from a distance. My brother and sister in law graduated, they were given a copy of "By bread alone". Becky, my sister in law gave me hers for taking picture for them (not that I wanted any compensation). I have already read a few pages and plan to read it all soon.

I am glad to see there are a few people who can appreciate this mans story.

How can I be lost

Quote Originally Posted by swmdrayfan
    Great stuff Tyson. The people who try to claim the Holocaust never happened are the same ones who try to say Roosevelt knew Pearl Harbor was going to be attacked, that LBJ was involved in the JFK assasination, that the Moon landing in '69 never took place, and that Bush was behind 9/11. Crackpots.
    John, it is very scary when I see how many people buy into all these wild theories. I think they are swayed by too many movie plots and find it hard to seperate reality from fiction.
    Good story,Tyson.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

That's a beautiful story of survival. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Tell your brother congrats....
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Life is too short too hate anyone, I teach my kids the the word "hate" used about a person or a people is worse than the "F" word. I myself "hate" no one. I wish everyone was this way. Hate is a powerful word.

How can I be lost

Tel

The only thing hate should be used for is Mac users. :P

IE: I hate Mac Users. My Hatred of Macs grows every waking moment.

But seriously, Congrats to your Brother and his Wife (I'm guessing)!

And to you, Central Ohio. Your relatively close to me! (Springfield)

Canon Digital Rebel with Quantray 19-35 F3.5-4.5 basically Glued on. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson L. Sparks
    Life is too short too hate anyone, I teach my kids the the word "hate" used about a person or a people is worse than the "F" word. I myself "hate" no one. I wish everyone was this way. Hate is a powerful word.
    How right you are. Although I do hate beets and saurkraut.

Thread Information