ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

I refuse to stay down

Last year, maybe around this time, I was harping on about how I was going semi-pro and was thinking how to promote myself properly. Then, life got in the way... eviction notice (my parents', really, but I had to take care of the consequences as they couldn't), my grandmother passing away, then a friend (and fellow photographer, though he never came on here), the job's been real crazy (but at least I have one), etc.... The biggest thing I managed to do in the last year was get a new sportbike, and that does absolutely nothing for my photo career.

On top of that, I've received some kind comments on my work, been published, blah blah, but have never been really happy with what I've done. Maybe the pics come out looking alright sometimes, but there's no vision there. I'm not there.

So now that most things are under control, I'm coming back. But I'm not just gonna start shooting again and hope for the best. Ever heard of Selina Oppenheim? She's a consultant with a book titled Portfolios That Sell. It's not your usual rubbish - it makes sense. So I've put together a series of exercises from the book and made them into a program that I will follow. It mostly involves taking a really long, hard look at the work of others to identify what you really admire about the images, then doing the same for your own to see where you need to go. Creative introspection, if you will.

I'm also looking over my equipment to see if I'm lacking in anything - need a new flash (see other post) and a true wide-angle for my D60.

And I need a makeup artist/stylist, so will be posting on some local boards till I find one.

In the meantime, I have already come up with a handful of ideas for new shots, all following certain creative ideals so that they are consistent. I will shoot them when I find a MUA to work with.

I will not jump in blindly this time. I will go in with the idea to follow a vision, to find a vision, and my new work will reflect it. It's gonna take time, a whole lot of precious time. And a lot of thought. But I'm tired of not being where I want to be, and it's my fault that I'm not. So here, now, I will correct that and work like hell till I get there.

And that is all for now
    "It is time to live like the wind and then to die like thunder."

www.gabriel-diaz.com

Re: I refuse to stay down

You've been thru a lot, to say the least. Good to hear that you're not giving up your dream though! It's not easy but being focused on a project like this might be really good for you. I'll have to check out that book, sounds like something I could use.

Liz

Good for you!

So now that most things are under control, I'm coming back.

Welcome Back Gabe! You've come through some very challenging times. I give you a lot of credit for the way you've taken the "bull by the horns" and come through a winner. It takes a lot of courage to persevere through the hard times, and still have a positive outlook. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother and your friend.

Congratulations on the sports bike, btw. ;) You certainly deserve that little bit of fun.

Reading about what you've been through this past year, it's obvious that you have what it takes to find your vision, accomplish your goals, and most of all, you are willing to work hard to get there.

I enjoyed reading your post. Thank you for sharing it with us. It is truly inspiring. I hope you will continue to post on PR. You were missed.

Liz

But I'm tired of not being where I want to be, and it's my fault that I'm not. So here, now, I will correct that and work like hell till I get there.

Those are the words of someone who will find success.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thanks, guys. I was doing some house-sitting for my sister and brother-in-law, but now I am back home and can start to really work on this.

I'll keep ya'll posted =D
    "It is time to live like the wind and then to die like thunder."

www.gabriel-diaz.com

Thread Information