ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: I Was Questioned...

Quote Originally Posted by Janie
    Did you have a big camera?
    Janie,
    I was out with my F100 and flash.
    I also had my back back on my back.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

To Quote Ronald Reagan...

I'd tell them to "Put up, or shut up".
    Make them show me who they were, what gave them the authority to make me stop, and what law are you talking about?
    All too often, these are little people with a little power, trying to play the bigshot and going on their little power trip. I've seen it so often, it makes me sick. (And makes me want to head them like a shrimp!)

Here's a link to your rights as a photographer. Print it out and carry a copy of it in your camera bag: http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

Pop Quiz: What do the following have in common?

In 1968 Bobby Kennedy was shot and killed by...
    In 1972 at the Munich Olympics, athletes were kidnapped and massacred by...
    In 1979, the US embassy in Iran was taken over by...
    During the 1980's a number of Americans were kidnapped in Lebanon by...
    In 1983, the US Marine barracks in Beirut was blown up by...
    In 1985 the cruise ship Achille Lauro was hijacked and a 70 year old American passenger was murdered and thrown overboard in his wheelchair by...
    In 1985 TWA flight 847 was hijacked at Athens, and a US Navy diver trying to rescue passengers was murdered by...
    In 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 was bombed by...
    In 1993 the World Trade Center was bombed the first time by...
    In 1998, the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were bombed by...
    On 9/11/01, four airliners were hijacked; two were used as missiles to take out the World Trade Centers and of the remaining two, one crashed into the US Pentagon and the other was diverted and crashed by the passengers.Thousands of people were killed by...
    In 2002 the United States fought a war in Afghanistan against...
    In 2002 reporter Daniel Pearl was kidnapped and murdered by....

Answer: Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40

So why in the world does our own government (and intellectual pygmies wearing security badges) harass Americans with cameras?!!!

Demand that they justify their actions, scream violation of your First Amendment Rights, show them your copy of The Photographers Rights, and write, call, and email your elected Representatives anytime you are harrassed.

OK, I'm done now. Just my two cents worth.

;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Question OH! OH! OH! I have a question!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    show them your copy of The Photographers Rights,
    Is this something a card or something you can get?
    Where can I find a copy of this?
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

Smile Re: OH! OH! OH! I have a question!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Is this something a card or something you can get?
    Where can I find a copy of this?
    Brian
    If you click on the link, it takes you directly to the page. It is a PDF file that you can print off on your computer. They also have a version you can download onto your Palm Pilot.

Here's the attorney's link that wrote The Photographers Rights:

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

I wish it came in a card, preferably laminated, so it would hold up to being carried around in your camera bag. Bookmark the site, and print out copies as you need them. You can always cut it down and laminate it yourself to make it into a card.

Hope this helps.

:-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

You Rock Robert!

It's no wonder you are #1 Nikon Samuari!
    Thanks!
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Re: To Quote Ronald Reagan...

Pop Quiz: What do the following have in common?
    Now Speed, plenty of horrible crimes have been committed by people who don't fit that description... A guy who looks like Timothy McVeigh or Jeffery Dahlmer would fit in pretty easily almost anywhere here in the US.

Thanks for posting the Photographer's Bill of Rights. That's what I originally thought of when first reading this post, but couldn't remember where to find it.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: I got yelled at today

apparently it is a federal crime to take photos of public transportation as per homeland security! Anyone know where we can get updated laws pertaining to photography now that more laws than ever are in place?
    And you live in the land of the free do you?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Update!

I spoke to the head of homeland security in my county and after explaining the harrassment i've gotten for trying to take pictures, he told me there are no laws against taking ANY photos - IF you are on private property, they can ask you to leave, but not in the name of homeland security! He said if I have any problems, tell them to call him personally and he will explain the factual law to whomever is giving me a hard time! He said that should take care of any questions or comments. He has all my info including a copy of my drivers license so that if anyone does call the police stations, they will say I have special clearance! ;) At least i'm connected around here - I know a lot of cops and they pointed me in the right direction!

apparently it is a federal crime to take photos of public transportation as per homeland security! Anyone know where we can get updated laws pertaining to photography now that more laws than ever are in place?
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

learning member

Re: Update!

Janie,
    I havent clicked on any links, but I have gone through this thread twice and I still don't know what you were taking pictures of.
    It is ludicris to stop someone from taking photos with an slr when anyone with a cell phone could map out an area.
    Putting the shoe on the other foot, security gaurds or whatever are just shmoes that are being paid or think that they're being paid to be paranoid.
    So try to be nice... ( it's all been covered ).
    In case all that fails, by a tripod or monopod that you feel comfortable with, a heavy boxing bag, and practice you're whacking technique!
    Mark

Re: OH! OH! OH! I have a question!

If you click on the link, it takes you directly to the page. It is a PDF file that you can print off on your computer. They also have a version you can download onto your Palm Pilot.

Here's the attorney's link that wrote The Photographers Rights:

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

I wish it came in a card, preferably laminated, so it would hold up to being carried around in your camera bag. Bookmark the site, and print out copies as you need them. You can always cut it down and laminate it yourself to make it into a card.

Hope this helps.

:-)
    Speed, they have laminating kits in many office supply stores and major discount stores (Wal Mart, Target, Office Max, etc). ... many of them heatless and supposedly easy to use. If you *really* want to carry it around in your wallet, print it at reduced size and laminate it.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Lightbulb Re: I got yelled at today

Another place to get info is www.photopermit.org. I found this in an article in Pop Photo magazine. They have forums and articles for these kinds of issues in the U.S. as well as other countries.

Re: I got yelled at today

thanks for the link, jsmith. Very interesting. I've bookmarked it.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

heavy bag

hey, if anyone needs some "Whacking on heavy bag" pointers, that's something i can definitely hlep with!

megan

Talking Re: OH! OH! OH! I have a question!

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    Speed, they have laminating kits in many office supply stores and major discount stores (Wal Mart, Target, Office Max, etc). ... many of them heatless and supposedly easy to use. If you *really* want to carry it around in your wallet, print it at reduced size and laminate it.

I'm familiar with the heatless laminating kits, and they are great.

Printing it at a reduced size may work better than cutting it up and making it two sided. Good idea Kelly!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Cool Another View...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Now Speed, plenty of horrible crimes have been committed by people who don't fit that description... A guy who looks like Timothy McVeigh or Jeffery Dahlmer would fit in pretty easily almost anywhere here in the US.

Thanks for posting the Photographer's Bill of Rights. That's what I originally thought of when first reading this post, but couldn't remember where to find it.

You are correct - we have plenty of home-grown miscreats and low-lifes right here within our borders. I was trying to make the point that harassing law-abiding Americans as potential terrorists just doesn't make sense to me. Besides, when we turn on each other, then the terrorists have accomplished their goal. There are certain risks you accept by living in a free society. I'll take freedom over "security" anyday. :-)

The Photographer's Bill Of Rights is something I feel that every photographer should have. You can't defend your rights if you don't know what your rights are. I'm glad we have this sort of information available to us, and I'm more than happy to share it with everyone here.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Wink Alright Janie!

I spoke to the head of homeland security in my county and after explaining the harrassment i've gotten for trying to take pictures, he told me there are no laws against taking ANY photos - IF you are on private property, they can ask you to leave, but not in the name of homeland security! He said if I have any problems, tell them to call him personally and he will explain the factual law to whomever is giving me a hard time! He said that should take care of any questions or comments. He has all my info including a copy of my drivers license so that if anyone does call the police stations, they will say I have special clearance! ;) At least i'm connected around here - I know a lot of cops and they pointed me in the right direction!

You go girl!

Don't take any crap off of any pencil neck cop wannabe!

Besides, you have special clearance! ;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I was in Penn Station yesterday...

Janie, I was in Penn Station around 10:15 last night, leaving the LIRR to go over to 34th to get the N home.

As I walked towards the escalators, there were 4 cops walking around and 2 National Guardspeople in the small area. As 1 set of cops meandered about, they passed a guy with some medium length lens on an SLR taking a photograph. Not a thing was said to him. They just looked at him and kept going.

I guess you just ran into.... what Speed said.

Megan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information