ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

How to take pictures

Hello everyone!

I am a complete beginner, just bought a new digital camera and a tripod. I have an inspiration, I can see things to be photographed, but I can't fugure out how to do it well and always miss the moment.
    Got myself a book, but... it is not very clear, nor it is easy to understand quickly. I need to learn more about optics, I don't want to use the Auto setting each time. The problem is - when I see something good to photograph, I spend too much time wondering how to take the picture and ... the interesting moment has gone! I want to learn all about aperture, speed and light, and I need to learn it quickly. I would like to be able to quickly determine the manual settings when I need to take a photo. Today while I was reading how to take that shot, the weather changed suddenly and I had to jump to another chapter to reed about taking pictures under a murky sky. And... missed the interesting shot I initially intended to take.

Does anyone know of a website where things are explained well and where I can read about different tricks? There must be some common rules, there must be a beginning.
    Please help me begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Transfixion
    I want to learn all about aperture, speed and light, and I need to learn it quickly.
    Welcome to the group. The above quote is a bit of a problem though, it will take a long time to master exposure - that's part of the enjoyment of it though. You can pick up the basics pretty quickly, but to truly master it (I don't claim to be there yet) will take some time. Nothing worth doing is ever easy!

At this point, I'd suggest reading the book, then going out and taking alot of pictures. Shoot in all kinds of conditions and leave it in Auto mode. Once you've got some shots together - good and bad - analyze them to see what worked and what didn't work. Then go back thru the book and see where you might have tried to do something differently for a better result. By the way, a better result means that it's closer to how you wanted the image to look when you took the picture. Then try that new idea the next time that condition happens - whether it's in bright sun, clouds or whatever. Do it enough and you'll improve.

If you want to post a shot or two, go to the Critique Forum here and we'll be glad to help with specific questions about a specific shot. Sometimes it's easier that way.

As a complete beginner, there is no quick and easy fix for your desire to fulfill your inspirations. Not worrying about creating masterpieces or works of art, you can begin by just snapping away, being aware of the aperture used, how it affected your depth of field, etc. If you have manual controls, you can take pictures of a mundane object, but vary the f-stops. Go to a stream and experiment with the shutter speeds, seeing how you can go from capturing every drop to having the water look like cotton, simply by adjusting the shutter speed. Learn as you go, enjoy as you learn, and you'll soon find that exposure/settings will come naturally. Good luck.

Transfixion,

Your one and only priority should be GETTING THE SHOT. By worrying about settings and missing the shot you are failing at the most fundamental level.

There's nothing to be gained by trying to make a shot better only to miss it completely. Leave it on auto everything, there is no shame in that, and learn from it. As you develop vision and get comfortable with the gear start taking over, but NEVER let it get before the shot.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

To all

Hey, you all are great! Thank you so much for your response.

I must admit I have always been quite impatient when exploring new things. Will have to be more disciplined and work hard.
    I intend to go to Stonehenge on the morning of the vernal equinox (March 21) and take photos of the sun rising between the stones... if I'm lucky (meaning 'no clouds'). The sun will not wait for me, so by then I will have to learn how to picture the sunrise. Will show you a picture or two when I come back :-)

I will do what you recommend - will take pictures using the Auto and will try to learn from the camera's settings, this is a good idea! Then I will take more pictures and stop worrying about my mistakes.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Nothing worth doing is ever easy!
    I will remember that. It is true.

I have not yet been to the Critique Forum, but will visit it and will definitely post some pictures soon.

Thank you!

Thank you very much
    Water like cotton...? Excellent idea! I have a new Canon PowerShot A80, it does have manual controls. Can't wait to try.

Quote Originally Posted by prbowhay
    Just remember its a great big world out there and it needs its picture taken!
    I like what you say a lot. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    There's nothing to be gained by trying to make a shot better only to miss it completely.
    I think I might be some sort of a perfectionist, always want to do things perfect from the first try and get disappointed when I don't manage it.
    Thank you for your advise :-)

Liz

Cool Canon Powershot........

Welcome to PR! We're here for you..........and so is your camera. I'm glad to hear you have a digital because this way you can just snap away. I would suggest using auto for a while so you can practice composition (getting what you want). The great thing about digital is that you can delete them as you go along. Take 10 shots of the same thing - different angles, etc.

Sunrises/sunsets are difficult to capture. You might want to shoot some of the reflections created by the sun. Just keep practicing......and come back & post some of your photos. We're all glad you're here!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Transfixion
    Thank you very much
    Water like cotton...? Excellent idea! I have a new Canon PowerShot A80, it does have manual controls. Can't wait to try.

Thank you! :-)))

just take it!

missing my shot trying to figure out the technicalities is the story of my life! better to get some of it than none of it....

we are all here to help and this site offers a VERY broad range of talents and experience...and you can easily learn from every critique.

welcome aboard and remember to just have fun....what's the point of learning it if you can't enjoy it
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Welcome

I can sense the frustration you feel. I and probably everyone else on this board felt it too when just starting out; hell I still do. For now just take pictures. I mean lots of them. Leave the camera on Auto for now and just shoot the hell out of it. When you see the pictures you will be even more frustrated because the pics didn't turn out like you imagined. Look at them and try to figure out why. Look at similar pictures taken by pros and look for the differences. Then go out and shoot some more.

Also, work the subject. Don't just take one photo and leave. Find a subject you like and take 30 different photos of it; each one different. Use your imagination. Then come back in different light and shoot some more.

I live in Chicago and have taken over a 1000 shots of the Chicago skyline, in all seasons. I have three that I like and only one framed.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Liz

Red face Now.......that's real!

We can all relate!

Liz

"I live in Chicago and have taken over a 1000 shots of the Chicago skyline, in all seasons. I have three that I like and only one framed"

You make me feel better now. I am so glad I found this forum.

I hope one day I will take a picture that is worth framing.
    Thank you for encouraging me

Thread Information