ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

How many of your are in NYC and...

How many have shown their work in art galleries? I have only done this in one small gallery in NJ and they really didn't do much to promote the show at all. I want to start showing work in NYC galleries. I'm working on a full new website and updated my other site where people can view and purchase my work at http://janehaas.com - I'm trying to figure out the best types of pieces to show though. I do so many different styles! lol I have never dealt with bigger galleries before - any good tips? :aureola:
    THanks!
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Do your homework...

Janie, it's really no different than figuring out what work to show various publications to try to get published.

You need to do some legwork and see what the various galleries are showing. I'd start with the city listings and look for photo exhibit announcements and gallery ads. A search of the web should prove fruitful, as you can view a number of different sites and get a lot of information without running around.

Still, at some point you'll want to hoof it and check out some of these spots in person, noting not only what their curent show is, but what artists they represent and especially what they've shown in the past. This should give you an idea of what type of work they like.

Also, while I know it can be intimidating, sometimes just asking for information from someone at the gallery works.

So, eventually, if you figure you're a good fit for a place, you ask about making an appointment to show your stuff.

And the rest, as they say, is history...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

J!m

Re: How many of your are in NYC and...

I'm out on Long Island (or is that Lawn-Giland??) during the week- I'm usually traveling on the weekends...

Anyway, Janie: I am curious about your pricing structure on your site. How do you determine your 'asking price' for various services (IE down-loads, prints etc.). Sitting fees etc. I have handled, although that is not my area of expertise, certainly.

Just curious, as I'm having a site built now...

Thanks for any info you wish to share, private e-mail is jim(dot)leach(at)sulzer(dot)com [mutilated to prevent spam]...
    CANON FD:
    (3x) 'new' F-1 (sold), 14mm f2.8L (sold), 24mm f 1.4L, 50mm f 1.2L (for sale), 85mm f 1.2L, 300mm f 2.8L, 800mm f 5.6L, extension tube 25, 1.4X-A & 2X-A

CANON EF:
    (2X) EOS-1v HS, off-brand FD-EF adapter, 14mm f 2.8L, 24-70mm f 2.8L, 70-200mm f 2.8L

Quote Originally Posted by J!m
    I'm out on Long Island (or is that Lawn-Giland??) during the week- I'm usually traveling on the weekends...

Thanks for any info you wish to share, private e-mail is jim(dot)leach(at)sulzer(dot)com [mutilated to prevent spam]...

Actually, the proper spelling is LAWNGUYLIND.
    It's an old Native American Indian word for "Get Me The Heck Off Of This Island."

An intersting book on this subject is "How To Get Hung."
    http://liphotoman.smugmug.com/

We share the same biology, Regardless of ideology

Quote Originally Posted by coachgns
    Actually, the proper spelling is LAWNGUYLIND.
    It's an old Native American Indian word for "Get Me The Heck Off Of This Island."
    LOL. Well, you got the second part right, but in my 20+ years living there, I never once met a local that pronounced it with a hard "G". Think that's an urban myth...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

J!m

You see, and I thought it came from the old Latin "Lawn Guy Land" in reference to the population with more money than sense and those annoying statues of black men holding lanterns...
    CANON FD:
    (3x) 'new' F-1 (sold), 14mm f2.8L (sold), 24mm f 1.4L, 50mm f 1.2L (for sale), 85mm f 1.2L, 300mm f 2.8L, 800mm f 5.6L, extension tube 25, 1.4X-A & 2X-A

CANON EF:
    (2X) EOS-1v HS, off-brand FD-EF adapter, 14mm f 2.8L, 24-70mm f 2.8L, 70-200mm f 2.8L

Could be...

Quote Originally Posted by J!m
    You see, and I thought it came from the old Latin "Lawn Guy Land" in reference to the population with more money than sense and those annoying statues of black men holding lanterns...
    Thing is, I lived in Suffolk County, and my Dad had to WORK for a living...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Janie - I can't help with your question at all but just wanted you to know that I loved your web page. It's easy to navigate, loads quickly and was a joy to browse. And, of course, the photos are awesome. I believe it will do very well for you.
    We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.
    Edward Gibbon

Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon Speedlight 220EX

Thank you all! I was out shooting flowers all day (going to post a few shortly) but I thank you all for the info! My current website is just the printroom.com service - very easy to use - I just upload the photos, they give suggested pricing and people can buy! ;-) I'm having my real website in the works right now, which will look like a giant portfolio with automatic turning pages! ;)
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Thread Information