ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

How do you get people to pose?

Over the holly-daze, I had many opportunities to take pics of the family. Very few of the pics turned out well (as seen in this example). I tried 2 different tacts- first by gathering the vict- err, subjects and snapping when I thought the time was right (usually surprising everyone and not flattering anyone), and the other counting aloud "1, 2, 3" then snapping it. This led to pics that were too posed for my tastes.

Hints and tips, please?

Thanks,

fp

Yeah, I know, this pic is pretty crappy all the way around, but I was more concerned with getting the room in the shot than I was people.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Ah, the $60,000 question...

You bring up a great topic. It's often a shock to aspiring commercial (as well as amateur) photographers to discover that interacting with your subjects to capture (or in the case of professional models, create) an emotional moment that speaks to the viewer can often be the single most important element of a photo, and the single most difficult thing to do.

All the equipment, lighting, and photo composition knowledge in the world won't save you if you don't know how to make a connection with your subjects and get them to emote something special.

This is a really tough thing to teach a photographer, as it almost always involves using your personality to (in a way) manipulate your subject.

If you take a look at some of the more successful portrait shooters here, for example Adina or Natalie (natatbeach), you'll quickly realize that their best work is of their children.

So, how do you teach someone to make the connection that a mother has to her child? Tain't easy... ;)

What I can give you is a bit of general advice for taking pictures of people, and then an easy exercise to increase your chances of getting a good shot. After that you're on your own..

One secret to getting good people shots is to seperate the technical aspect from the emotional. IOW, learn the ins and outs of using or creating good lighting, and of composing and exposing properly.

Learn them well so you do NOT have to think about this stuff much when you actually start shooting. You want the technical aspects of your shot to almost be subconsious as you work so you can concentrate most of your creative energy on interacting with the subjects.

Even amatuers can benefit from this idea. Fiddling around with your digicam settings or zoom or flash can either ruin the moment, or at the very least let it pass. BTW, speaking of flash, you're much better off if you can find natural light sources strong enough so you don't need to use it. Many folks are conditioned to react to or anticipate a camera flash, and it alone can often disrupt the natural flow of a scene.

Shoot a lot. Yeah, this means more work, but the idea is to get your subjects to forget you're right there in their face taking pictures. This is especially helpful with kids. If you keep shooting, and don't make each picture an orchestrated posed production, they'll likely ignore you quickly, and your pics will look much more natural.

Shoot sequences. IOW, two or three or more consecutive shots. Again, this is much easier to do when you don't have to wait for a flash to recycle. This is a common technique pros use, as you don't often know which frame will have that exact pose that works. It will also lessen the chances that some closed eyes will ruin an otherwise perfect shot.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

The exercise...

I decided to break my reply up into two posts so it wouldn't be so massive, heh heh...

The exercise I mentioned for shooting people shots is one I used to use when I taught a class on photo composition. I call it the Police Lineup technique. A police lineup shot is the most flat, unemotional, and yes, boring representation of human subjects possible. The reason is that it's sole purpose is purely funtional: to give someone a clear, accurate, objective view of a group of people.

It's funny how many people trying to take creative pics of other people employ elements of the lineup shot. Your post is a perfect example. Evenly spaced subjects straight across the frame...

So, we take the lineup shot as a starting point, and then simply make a conscious effort to alter some or all of the aspects that make the lineup shot what it is, completely lacking in style.

For example, lineup shots are taken at eye level. So, when you shoot, try higher and lower shooting angles to vary the view.

The bg in a lineup shot is exactly perpendicular to the shooter. So, when you shoot, have the bg elements go in and out of the frame at angles. Think perspective...

The lighting is flat and even in a lineup shot. So, when you shoot, think directional lighting, perhaps even creative use of shadows...

Subjects are evenly spaced apart and looking straight ahead in a lineup shot. So, when you shoot, get people to move much closer together. Vary the spacing of larger groups both side to side as well as front to back. Try to capture head movements and angles to the side, or up and down. Don't have people look right at the camera, unless you specifically want that intimacy with the viewer.

I think you get the idea. This is a very easy technique to force yourself to be more creative with your shots...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: How do you get people to pose?

Excellent reply Steve. Fp, I don't take a lot of people shots so the advice others give should be listened to more than mine. You can avoid some of the most common errors by filling the frame with your subjects and having them in an uncluttered area.
    ----------------------------

Great post(s), Steve! Some of my favorite people shots are basically unposed, and I don't think you get this kind of stuff until you've spent a lot of time shooting and people get over the fear or anxiety of having a camera pointed at them. Not that I'm a people shooter, but I've also read this in interviews with National Geographic photographers and others. Basically, plan that the first shots aren't going to work and it's just part of the process. Once they start to relax is when the magic happens.

Steve brought up that point and I think it's important enough that it's worth repeating. I also agree about having the tech stuff down cold so you don't have to think about it when you're shooting. You'll find that this will help any type of photography you're doing.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I perfer to shoot with people unposed, however most people when they see me at PYPS events will automatically either a) pose b) run and hide. As for when I want people to posed I'm more of. "Okay Everyone, look here, smile, and 3, 2, 1,"...click. I get the focus and settings ready on 2, and fire off just after 1.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

instead of saying cheese try ---- saying boobies

works every time

disclaimer don't try this with kids---try puppies or stinky with them ;)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

learning member

You can always fix 'em up in ps! LOL!!!
    Mark.
    Seriously though, fiddlin with the camera and not being sure of of it's operation got me a lot of useless photos This season.
    "BOOBIES" Would have definitly worked here!
    Last edited by mdmc; 04-10-2007 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    instead of saying cheese try ---- saying boobies

works every time

disclaimer don't try this with kids---try puppies or stinky with them ;)
    The only way to get my friends kids to laugh is to say "boobies", the problem is though the three boys all jump out of line and and start looking for "boobies" while the 3 girls laugh at them
    Saying "stinky" won't work, all that does is make the one girl fart on command (no joke!)
    JS

Thanks, all, for the tips. I'll have to print this thread out & study it. ;^)

I'll let you know how saying "boobies" works. Might get a frown out of my Mom. ;^P

fp

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Thanks, all, for the tips. I'll have to print this thread out & study it. ;^)

I'll let you know how saying "boobies" works. Might get a frown out of my Mom. ;^P

fp
    or a frying pan over the head....

JS

If you are going to be shooting a group, that is put in a certain position, like piled on the couch, in the yard, that kind of thing, I learned a tip that works really well for me.

Get them in the postition you want them, then fiddle with the camera. Load the film, set the white balance, whatever. That way everyone is where you want them, but have a minute to get comfortable and relax, instead of that stiff position they are in when you sit them down.

As for kids, I've done as well, if not better, with others compared to my own. You really have to get down there and talk to them. I spend a lot of time on the floor. It may get me some funny looks from mom/dad, but they assume I have some idea of what I am doing. Mine are harder to wrangle these days, because they don't want to do it unless they get to pick what we are doing. So it ends up being a picture of Barbie, picture of kid, Barbie, kid....you get the idea.

Really, it just takes a lot of practice, and finding what works best for you. If you are outgoing and obnoxious, use that to your advantage. If you are introverted and quiet, you can make that work as well.

Also, I carry finger puppets in my camera bag.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Thread Information