ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

How to build an arch.

This week's project

We are doing MASSIVE remodeling on our house. In bits and pieces. I'll have plenty more before-and-after pictures coming your way when I finish some of these projects. But I thought I might share the one I am working on this week.

We opened up the back of our house and enclosed the rear porch to create a sunroom (future post.) In the process, we decided to create an arched doorway where the old exterior door used to be. A shot of the old door, taken last year, in the middle of some other demolition we were doing (another future post) is picture #1

Fast forward to this week, the sunroom is enclosed, and we begin to arch the doorway. Step one is to support the trusses, as this is a load-bearing wall, and knock out the cinder blocks above the doorway. Then, with an angle grinder, cutting out the steel beam that was above the old doorway. Finally, picture #2, framing in for the new opening.

To create the arch, I opted to try my own way after being unimpressed with the online tutorials on how to construct an arch (diy.com is usually very good for this sort of thing, btw) So I began by tacking drywall up first, tracing the curve of our arch onto the drywall, and cutting it out. On both sides. Then, blocking betwen the pieces of drywall with 2x4's for support. Picture #3.

The trick that I did learn online that helped me was to score the back of a piece of drywall to help it curve. I was then able to tack it upside down inside the arch to fill the span between the two sheets of drywall Then goes on the flexible rounded corner bead, Picture #4.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to build an arch.-before-door.jpg   How to build an arch.-framed-.jpg   How to build an arch.-drywall.jpg   How to build an arch.-cornerbead.jpg  
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: How to build an arch.

Then, the first coat of mud, picture #5.

I now have two more coats of mud on it and tomorrow should have it in primer. As soon as the boss lady decides on a paint color for that room, I'll show it again in finished mode.

Phew, almost done. It's been quite a project
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to build an arch.-mud.jpg  
    Walter Rick Long

Wow,

What a project. The progress is great to see though, glad to see those online tutorials work out! Quite impressive IMO.

Looks swell,

Jared

Looks great! Isn't it a mathematical formula to figure out how to draw out the arch, or am I reading too much into this? I remember seeing something awhile back that looked complicated...

PS - when you're done, you're welcome to move into my place for oh, about six months. Don't forget your tools.

Thanks guys.

Steve, nothing is mathematical when the boss is your gf ;)
    Walter Rick Long

Looks good.

We are doing something similar in our kitchen. No arch, but we took out a wall to open it up. One thing lead to another, the current project within a project is ripping out the 6 layers of linolium and 2 layers of plywood that they put over the original hardwood floors. We just bought a new door because they cut two inches off the bottom of the one that's on now so it would be high enough to clear the floor.

Whoever worked on our house for the previous 60+ years was an idiot.

Liz

Wow! what a project you have going. It looks like you're progressing nicely. From what I can see out that beautiful window, you have a nice view - and lots of light coming in. It would make a nice studio - don't tell your gf I said that.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    This week's project

We are doing MASSIVE remodeling on our house. In bits and pieces. I'll have plenty more before-and-after pictures coming your way when I finish some of these projects. But I thought I might share the one I am working on this week.

We opened up the back of our house and enclosed the rear porch to create a sunroom (future post.) In the process, we decided to create an arched doorway where the old exterior door used to be. A shot of the old door, taken last year, in the middle of some other demolition we were doing (another future post) is picture #1

Fast forward to this week, the sunroom is enclosed, and we begin to arch the doorway. Step one is to support the trusses, as this is a load-bearing wall, and knock out the cinder blocks above the doorway. Then, with an angle grinder, cutting out the steel beam that was above the old doorway. Finally, picture #2, framing in for the new opening.

To create the arch, I opted to try my own way after being unimpressed with the online tutorials on how to construct an arch (diy.com is usually very good for this sort of thing, btw) So I began by tacking drywall up first, tracing the curve of our arch onto the drywall, and cutting it out. On both sides. Then, blocking betwen the pieces of drywall with 2x4's for support. Picture #3.

The trick that I did learn online that helped me was to score the back of a piece of drywall to help it curve. I was then able to tack it upside down inside the arch to fill the span between the two sheets of drywall Then goes on the flexible rounded corner bead, Picture #4.

OMG Adina. 2 inches of flooring on top of your hardwood floors! LOL! Are they salvageable underneath that all junk? If not, look into the current line of Pergo flooring they've come a long way in looks and are reeealy easy to install!
    Walter Rick Long

LOL thanks Liz I actually had the idea to put hardwood floors in there and use it as a ballroom dance studio. But she was having none of that It's actually the best room in the house, with lots of natural light!
    Walter Rick Long

Thread Information