ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

How about a bike thread? - the kind with pedals

I high jacked another thread talking bikes, so I thought maybe should start a real one.

Here are five of my favorites in the stable. Let's see yours!

Biachi Pista. I raced this one on the velodrome for a couple of years. Crashed it hard in my last race. I just love the look of this bike.

How about a bike thread? - the kind with pedals-pista-800.jpg

A stainless steel Waterford (chrome fork) that I have yet to build up.

How about a bike thread? - the kind with pedals-953_15a-800.jpg

A turquoise 50th Anniversary Schwinn Paramount. I also have two near-black (charcoal gray) frames.

How about a bike thread? - the kind with pedals-50th-560-tq_01a-800.jpg

My wife’s titanium flat bar. I built this for her when she received her black belt. The oriental 'paint' is actually titanium oxide 'painted' with an electric arc.

How about a bike thread? - the kind with pedals-carpe-collage-800.jpg

My everyday bike - titanium with disc brakes.

How about a bike thread? - the kind with pedals-sideview-800.jpg

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: How about a bike thread? - the kind with pedals

Did not know you were into cycling.
    Look like nice bikes and you've got me wondering why for a few weeks now, I keep noticing bikes.

Nice shots of the bikes, too.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Nice bikes and frames

I bough a Bianchi mountain bike in 1994, not being used any more I can't find spare parts...

Ooh, great collection of bikes there. I always liked that classic Bianchi minty green color! The rest of your quiver looks great too.
    I have a fixie but it's pretty ghetto (that I way I can leave it unlocked in a lot of places). It's an old Roadmaster 10 speed with a locktite conversion and a chop n' flop job on the bars. Heavy and ugly as sin!

Here's one I'm more inclined to show off (even though it's nothing exotic). It's a Surly 1x1 single speed mtb. I'm riding it a lot lately for a race coming in May. It just has this amazingly efficient feel, just rolling along and eating up the miles (when I'm not spinning out on a road).

IMGP1854 by MattB.net, on Flickr

I also have a geared MTB, a Specialized FSR Elite and a Specialized Roubaix for the rough roads around here. Oh, and then there's the old Canondale MTB converted to a single speed commuter as well as a vintage JC Higgins Cruiser.
    I love bikes and cycling!

Armondo - what parts do you need? A bike of that era should have pretty standardized parts. If you have a groupo that is no longer made like Suntour, you could probably find what you need on eBay if you were so inclined. Or you could replace that stuff with more modern equivalents, but that may be more expensive than it's worth.

Not quite as nice as some but I think she'l clean up

Last edited by dl4449; 04-04-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Liz

Beautiful bikes. I love my mountain bike!

I hope it's okay to ask a question - although maybe a bit off the topic here.

Does anyone here know anything about folding bikes? I have a very nice Trek mountain bike; however now that I'm getting older my back/neck problem is getting more easily aggravated, especially with lifting. Consequently lifting my bike on & off the bike rack is more difficult and leaves me with increased pain for a day or more. I also need to sit up straight on the bike so the handlebars need to be upright (my mountain bike has these handlebars).

I have been checking out folding lighter weight bikes. However, it seems all of the lighter folding bikes have 20" wheels which are really small - and look strange. Recently these bikes have become very popular among people in NY and other cities for riding to and from work.

I was told these bikes do not go as fast as a mountain bike, but are fast enough - and still fun to ride. I just want the bike for pleasure riding for 2-3 hours a few days a week. Being that I love bike riding, I want to be sure I will still enjoy it!

There are some folding bikes with 24" wheels, but apparently they are much heavier and may not fit in my trunk. I need to be able to fold it and lift it into the trunk - much easier than trying to balance it on my car.

I don't want to give up bike riding, but just can't handle transporting the regular size mountain bike anymore. Old age is not fun!

Here is a sample of one of many I've looked at (I know it's pretty weird looking for an adult bike: Any thoughts, input, ideas, comments?

Citizen Bike folding bike shop | Portable & Folding Bikes | ALHAMBRA Citizen Bike 20" 3-speed Folding Bike with Alloy Frame

Thanks Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Beautiful bikes. I love my mountain bike!

I hope it's okay to ask a question - although maybe a bit off the topic here.

Does anyone here know anything about folding bikes? I have a very nice Trek mountain bike; however now that I'm getting older my back/neck problem is getting more easily aggravated, especially with lifting. Consequently lifting my bike on & off the bike rack is more difficult and leaves me with increased pain for a day or more. I also need to sit up straight on the bike so the handlebars need to be upright (my mountain bike has these handlebars).

I have been checking out folding lighter weight bikes. However, it seems all of the lighter folding bikes have 20" wheels which are really small - and look strange. Recently these bikes have become very popular among people in NY and other cities for riding to and from work.

I was told these bikes do not go as fast as a mountain bike, but are fast enough - and still fun to ride. I just want the bike for pleasure riding for 2-3 hours a few days a week. Being that I love bike riding, I want to be sure I will still enjoy it!

There are some folding bikes with 24" wheels, but apparently they are much heavier and may not fit in my trunk. I need to be able to fold it and lift it into the trunk - much easier than trying to balance it on my car.

I don't want to give up bike riding, but just can't handle transporting the regular size mountain bike anymore. Old age is not fun!

Here is a sample of one of many I've looked at (I know it's pretty weird looking for an adult bike: Any thoughts, input, ideas, comments?

Citizen Bike folding bike shop | Portable & Folding Bikes | ALHAMBRA Citizen Bike 20" 3-speed Folding Bike with Alloy Frame

Thanks Liz
    Go to the bottom of the page and click on Roadbike Review and ask your question. There are a few there that regularly commute on folders. Be ready for more 'flak' than here (stay away from Politics and Lounge!), but they will help and know bikes. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    Go to the bottom of the page and click on Roadbike Review and ask your question. There are a few there that regularly commute on folders. Be ready for more 'flak' than here (stay away from Politics and Lounge!), but they will help and know bikes. - Terry
    Thanks Terry! Much obliged - I'll give it a shot. :thumbsup:

Liz

Oh No!

Oh boy - given our company's bike site history (Mtbr.com was our first site and is the biggest mountain bike resource on the planet), this could get out of hand. I've got a garage full of bikes (anyone want to buy one?) but here's a photo of my latest acquisition. It's a Canfield One freeride bike. It's got 7-inches of coil and oil suspension in the front and back and it gobbles up rocky trails like the ones in Moab and it still pedals decently.

This photo was taken last weekend with the Canon PowerShot G1 X, which I need to return to Canon. The G1 X image quality is incredible, although the camera is a bit large for a compact and the 1 FPS burst rate isn't even worthy of being called a "burst" rate.

If you want to see more recent Moab photos - ones with bikes in action, even - check this thread in the Sports Photography Forum: Moab Mountain Biking - Again (and Again...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How about a bike thread? - the kind with pedals-img_4448.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I love this I am a big time biker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How about a bike thread? - the kind with pedals-3633944423_64353d317b_z.jpg  

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Z6135115

How can I be lost

My bike

How can I be lost

Z6145167_800x600

How can I be lost

Z6135155_800x600

How can I be lost

Quote Originally Posted by dl4449 View Post
    Not quite as nice as some but I think she'l clean up

This is my favorite photo so far in this thread
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

This is a LeMond. A co-workers friend opened a powder coating business and offered me a real bargain. So I had it powder coated safety yellow. I get a lot of comments from other bikers on the color. It was originally orange. I am in the process of making custom decals for it. With a LeMond Pirate theme, not to over do it of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How about a bike thread? - the kind with pedals-lemond.jpg  
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Cannondale Jekyll 800 "Lefty" Bought this new in 2003...been riding it ever since...Actual color is blood red.

Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How about a bike thread? - the kind with pedals-cannon.jpg  

Thread Information