ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

No but....

Quote Originally Posted by Max P D
    Does anyone have experience using diopters with a Holga for closer focusing?
    Read this... Close-up lenses for toycameras

I think Paul was asking about a pressure plate, Check This Article Out...

Good Luck!
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: No but....

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Cool site Brian, thanks!!! :thumbsup:

I think Paul was asking about a pressure plate, Check This Article Out...

Good Luck!
    Brian
    Whoa, using a steel pressure plate in a Holga? That's highly unorthodox.:yikes: But if it solves Paul's problem I say go for it...
    "Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire." - Reggie Leach

Re: No but....

Cool site Brian, thanks!!! :thumbsup:

Whoa, using a steel pressure plate in a Holga? That's highly unorthodox.:yikes: But if it solves Paul's problem I say go for it...
    I can't say I know of anyone who uses one, but why not!
    I don't know if I'd call it unorthodox, it's the nature of the toy camera photographer to do something to their toy camera!
    You have seen my red Holga right? On my website.
    I have seen some "dressed up" ones that make mine look naked!
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

Re: reactions to Holgas

You have seen my red Holga right? On my website.
    I have seen some "dressed up" ones that make mine look naked!
    Brian
    Brian, that camera is an attention-getter my friend! (I'm still rubbing my eyes from that red image seared into my brain ) What kind of response do you get from the public with that camera? My purpose in asking comes from carrying a so-called "high tech" digital camera which tends to intimidate folks IMHO. I'd think a plain-Jane Holga would have the opposite effect and most people would see it as some kind of amateur hunk of junk, so they would probably relax. Not sure how a red Holga makes people react?

Happy Trails

Max a.k.a Dan
    "Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire." - Reggie Leach

Re: reactions to Holgas

Brian, that camera is an attention-getter my friend! (I'm still rubbing my eyes from that red image seared into my brain ) What kind of response do you get from the public with that camera? My purpose in asking comes from carrying a so-called "high tech" digital camera which tends to intimidate folks IMHO. I'd think a plain-Jane Holga would have the opposite effect and most people would see it as some kind of amateur hunk of junk, so they would probably relax. Not sure how a red Holga makes people react?

Happy Trails

Max a.k.a Dan
    I haven't noticed any unusal recactions, if anything the red gives it more of a toy feeling.
    I'll have to notice this when I am out.
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Re: Holga!?! What's that?

Someone may have already asked this, but - do you use the square "chassy" thingy inside of your Holga? If so - take it out! It crops off a lot of the vignette and makes the edges clean and straight. Feh! Who wants clean, straight edges?! Not this Holgartist!

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    Someone may have already asked this, but - do you use the square "chassy" thingy inside of your Holga? If so - take it out! It crops off a lot of the vignette and makes the edges clean and straight. Feh! Who wants clean, straight edges?! Not this Holgartist!
    I just loaded my Holga with roll of Kodak Portra 400 that expired in '01. I was using the square thingy before, but I removed it this time. When I did so, I remembered it covers the batteries, so I did a little taping to cover them up (too shiney). I hope to shoot the whole roll this weekend. Hopefully, I'll have something to post by the end of next week.

Thanks!
    Paul

Batteries without the square adapter chassy thingy

Here's what I've learned along the way to keep the batteries from popping out when you remove the thingy (because of course the battery contacts are flimsy at best!)

1. I take a small piece of black tape and overlap the ends, sticky side out, and line it along the inside of the camera where the battery will lay. This helps to prevent the batteries from popping out mid-roll at a most inconvenient time. They can and will pop out. ::sigh:: Like when I was photographing an up and coming boxer leaving the ring in jubilation after a spectacular knock out. I had such a great shot... and the Holga wasn't singing. :mad2:

2. I take a longer piece of tape and cut it into a small strip and tape across the battery at either end to hold it in.

3. More tape over, up, lengthwise, crosswise. Tape tape tape.

4. More tape!

The end.

Re: Batteries without the square adapter chassy thingy

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    Here's what I've learned along the way to keep the batteries from popping out when you remove the thingy (because of course the battery contacts are flimsy at best!)

1. I take a small piece of black tape and overlap the ends, sticky side out, and line it along the inside of the camera where the battery will lay. This helps to prevent the batteries from popping out mid-roll at a most inconvenient time. They can and will pop out. ::sigh:: Like when I was photographing an up and coming boxer leaving the ring in jubilation after a spectacular knock out. I had such a great shot... and the Holga wasn't singing. :mad2:

2. I take a longer piece of tape and cut it into a small strip and tape across the battery at either end to hold it in.

3. More tape over, up, lengthwise, crosswise. Tape tape tape.

4. More tape!

The end.
    I didn't even think about the batteries falling out. I put a bunch of tape in there, but only to cover the shiney stuff. I don't know how much it will help to hold them in. I'll be careful, and do a better job next time. Thanks for the tip.

Paul

Re: Batteries without the square adapter chassy thingy

Well, if they *do* fall out, it's easily remedied with deft fingers and a changing bag.
    It's just a pain in the butt. Especially AFER you missed the shot. ::sigh::

underexposed

What kind/speed of film do you use in your Holga?

I got a roll from my Holga developed recently, and discovered that I underexposed most of the shots, some badly. I was using 400 ISO, walking around downtown after work. I think I've learned that I need to stick with direct or very bright indirect sun. Does that sound right?

I'm also thinking that underexposure could be decreasing vignetting. Since the whole frame is so dark, there's not much contrast between the dark corners and the rest of the frame. Then the whole image gets brightened up. Has anyone else noticed this in underexposed shots?

Thanks!

Paul

Re: underexposed

Yup, that sounds about right. I use the flash when it's darker - and then it's not realy good for landscape or anything to far away. For that, I use a tripod and the Bulb setting. I got a souped-up Holga from Randy with a cable release.

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    clip......

2. I have trouble scanning my Holga film. My scanner looks for edges in the negative strip in order to divide it into how ever many images are on the section of film I'm scanning. Many times my shots have undefined or overlapping edges, and the scanner errors out. I don't think the designers had Holgas in mind. Does anyone have a recommendation for tricking my scanner into dividing the film where I want it to?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Use your manual settings. I have never used the auto function on my scanner.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    Use your manual settings. I have never used the auto function on my scanner.
    I'll give that a try with this new roll, as soon as I replace my faulty hard drive.

That's the beauty of Holgas isn't it? No upgrades, just a little tape, and... if it works, it works, if it doesn't, you spend another $20 on a new one.
    ::bliss::

Did you guys see that one of my Holga photographs was selected as the Featured Photo in the galleries for last week?

Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

Hi, I'm new here. Reason I joined this thread is because I just bought a Holga Starter Kit from here and I think this thread is gonna be very very useful!

Quote Originally Posted by pixielurve
    Hi, I'm new here. Reason I joined this thread is because I just bought a Holga Starter Kit from here and I think this thread is gonna be very very useful!
    Welcome to Photography Review! There are a lot of knowledgable and friendly people here, so don't be affraid to ask questions. Have fun with your new toy!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pixielurve
    Welcome Pixie!!
    We have lots of room for one more Holga photographer!
    I know the kit you bought, it will be a great start!
    Make sure you check out all of the other forums at least once, as well as the galleries.
    Brian
    Holga Rocks!
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

wow! thanks for the heartwarming welcome! I'll go check out the other forums and galleries now.

Hey everyone. I am extremely interested in purchasing one of these cameras. However, im not sure exactly how i go about developing this film. How exactly does this work?

Thanks!

-dan

Quote Originally Posted by LoudPicture
    Hey everyone. I am extremely interested in purchasing one of these cameras. However, im not sure exactly how i go about developing this film. How exactly does this work?

Thanks!

-dan
    Hi Dan,

If you're talking about getting it developed somewhere, you'll just need to take it to a professional film lab. You won't be able to get it done at drugstores or walmart, and it will cost a little more, but it's done the same way as 35mm. Do you develop you're own? If you do 35mm B&W, then 120 is done the same way. You just need a big enough tank and a 120 reel. You use twice as much of the chemicals as with one roll of 35mm, because the reel is about twice as big.

Did I answer your question?

Paul

I dont know, im not big on the whole professional film developing, its incredibly expensive, and from what ive experianced, it never turns out well...How expensive/ difficult is it to just develope your own?

Quote Originally Posted by LoudPicture
    I dont know, im not big on the whole professional film developing, its incredibly expensive, and from what ive experianced, it never turns out well...How expensive/ difficult is it to just develope your own?
    You'll need all the chemicals, developer, stop bath, fixer and a Photo Flo(The Kodak name for it, can't remember the generic name for it), a tank and reel (120 size), and a way to wash and dry the film. You'll need a totally dark place to roll the film on to the reels.

I'd recommend you look at www.jandcphoto.com or http://www.freestylephoto.biz/e_main.php for chemical prices, they'll be your best bets.
    Unless of course there is a great photo store in your area. I would assume there would be in the Philly area.

The biggest challenge in devloping film, if you have never done it, is rolling it onto the reels, in total darkness.....
    I take it you are shooting b&w then? If you shoot color, I would recommend you take it somewhere.
    Any other questions?
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

useless post. delete?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information