ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Help: Rule of thirds - overkill

Quote Originally Posted by Axle
    I find it's more technofiles who complain about noise.
    Yes, there are two kinds of photographers...

IME, exposure accuracy becomes even more critical at higher ISO settings. Concert lighting is really contrasty - has to be, needs to look dramatic. Problem is, that makes it hard to photograph.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: Help: Rule of thirds - overkill

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Yes, there are two kinds of photographers...

IME, exposure accuracy becomes even more critical at higher ISO settings. Concert lighting is really contrasty - has to be, needs to look dramatic. Problem is, that makes it hard to photograph.
    Indeed!

Yes concert photography is tough! At the last concert I was at (Jars of Clay) I was talking with some of the pros there, who were rather amazed that i was shooting with a 50mm f/1.8 lens, and there they were with 1000.00 + lens...they liked my shots.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Talking Re: Help: Rule of thirds - overkill

manacsa, I wouldn't be afraid of the rule of thirds , even Robert Bateman, that renowned nature artist, uses it in very many of his art works. Learn the rules and then don't forget the old saying- Rules were made to be broken. Sometimes you can use the elements of the image itself to guide peoples eyes to where you want them to go, diagonal pathways or sidewalks, S-shaped streams amd creeks, a person's eyes looking at another object in the picture, sometimes things are meant to be in the centre (tall dominant building or dominant forest tree or that solitary tree on the horizon, or experiment with using both of the "thirds, either left and right together or top and bottom together.

This is the beauty of digital, you can shoot the same image from a variety of different perspectives and see what works for you. As one experiment, try picking out one dominant object you wish to photograph (don't know what that might be- depends on the type of photography you like to do) and take 10 or 12 images of it from different perspectives and see what works for you and what doesn't and see if you can figure out why. Anyway, my thoughts on this. HTH. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information