ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

help a newb (canon vs. nikon content)

I've done a lot of reading and would like to witness a canon vs. nikon debate. I'm still torn on who to give my money to. Sorry, I'm sure this has been brought up a million times, but I used the search feature and I want to read opionions from the ground up. So please, spit your knowlege..

Re: help a newb (canon vs. nikon content)

I'd make it easy for you: Canon.

You can save a lot of money and still get excellent quality by picking Canon. More lens choices with lower prices. Excellent camera bodies with buyer-friendly prices. You can't go wrong with Canon. You will also find most people use Canon. I means. millions of people can't go wrong, right? I'm quite sure you will end up being one of them. Most do.

You have to start by doing a little work yourself. I assume you're talking about DSLR's.

- how much money do you want to spend?
    - what sort of photos are you going to do?
    - how do you see your evolution path? Professional, amateur??

With this information we can start to build a configuration from each manufacturer and give you an idea of the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Canon and Nikon are both excellent, but they're stopped competing head-on. You usually have a model from one at a price point then a slightly better model from the other at a slightly higher price-point.

Ask people which is best and they will just say what they know. Very few people run both systems.

BTW I disagree with everything that AgingEyes just said.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

CANON FTW! i just like the feel of my canon, with the lens choices and prices!

im sure Nikon is a good brand too, i think their lenses are a bit more costly, and hard to find. but its all good!

cant go wrong with a canon
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais

BTW I disagree with everything that AgingEyes just said.
    Oh c'mon man. You don't think most people use Canon? You don't think Canon's 500 mm f4 is cheaper than Nikon's? You don't think Canon has a 400 f5.6 but Nikon doesn't? You don't think Canon has more lens choices, more primes? You don't think Canon has more better priced camera (bodies)? You don't think Canon has more sales going on from tiem to time and Nikon like never (at least from what I see locally)?

You don't think Canon is a bigger company? You don't think there're more white lenses in sporting events, stadiums, and out in the wild in the countryside photographing birds and wild animals?

Well, I think you could disagree to some of what I said, but I don't think you should disagree to everything I said in my post because...it's true

But, what do I know, I don't use Canon

Quote Originally Posted by rylan
    CANON FTW! i just like the feel of my canon, with the lens choices and prices!

im sure Nikon is a good brand too, i think their lenses are a bit more costly, and hard to find.

Exactly !! Now go tell Franglais

Quote Originally Posted by wastedyouth
    would like to witness a canon vs. nikon debate
    Welcome to the site...

Ford vs. Chevy
    Mac vs. PC
    McCain vs. Obama

talking about cameras < talking about photography

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Welcome to the site...

Ford vs. Chevy
    Mac vs. PC
    McCain vs. Obama

photography

Tina Fey vs Sarah Palin.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

One of the reasons I joined this forum is there wasn't any 'brand' debate.
    Every brand has strengths and weaknesses and which is best depends on who is holding it in their hand.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Every brand has strengths and weaknesses and which is best depends on who is holding it in their hand.

very well said frog!
    Canon EOS 30D | EF 70-200mm f/4L | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4 EX | Strobist gear galore

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Amen.

Yeah, I agree, it depends on how the person uses the camera.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

wastedyouth, I didn't mean to scare you off earlier - I hadn't had my 23rd cup of coffee just yet. But the point is, the equipment doesn't get you too far without photographic skills. Top professionals, serious amateurs and everyone else chooses one brand over another (not just limited to these two either) for any number of reasons.

Is one clearly superior? Not at all. There's a jazz bassist that had a response to this; musicians tend to be gearheads too. Paraphrased, he said something like "spend the time to get your equipment right, but do it quick and then get on with music".

The only way you will be able to make a valid decission for you is to go to a photo store and see which camera fits your hands, and if you can play with the menu system. Also there is a different look between the Canon and Nikon digital photos of the same subject. That look doesn't matter if you us RAW files.

But it just comes down to which camera model you like and can afford!
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    The only way you will be able to make a valid decission for you is to go to a photo store and see which camera fits your hands, and if you can play with the menu system. Also there is a different look between the Canon and Nikon digital photos of the same subject. That look doesn't matter if you us RAW files.

But it just comes down to which camera model you like and can afford!
    perfect.

I happened to choose Canon because....well I dont know, it was first alphabetically?

Go to a store, hold a Canon, hold a similarly priced Nikon, operate them if possible. If one jumps out at you as more intuitive or comfortable, go with that one. Otherwise, check your local Craigslist for compatible lenses for each set or get the one that you might already have lenses for (Canon Film EOS lenses are compatible with their DSLRs, Nikon has compatible lenses too.)

Or get what your friends have so you can play the lens-swap game.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

He fell for it

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes
    Oh c'mon man. You don't think most people use Canon? You don't think Canon's 500 mm f4 is cheaper than Nikon's? You don't think Canon has a 400 f5.6 but Nikon doesn't? You don't think Canon has more lens choices, more primes? You don't think Canon has more better priced camera (bodies)? You don't think Canon has more sales going on from tiem to time and Nikon like never (at least from what I see locally)?

You don't think Canon is a bigger company? You don't think there're more white lenses in sporting events, stadiums, and out in the wild in the countryside photographing birds and wild animals?

Well, I think you could disagree to some of what I said, but I don't think you should disagree to everything I said in my post because...it's true

But, what do I know, I don't use Canon
    Frog is right. I really don't like to criticise Canon but if you oblige me to:

Let's assume that our poster is an amateur who's new to the game. If he was a professional then he probably wouldn't ask the question. This sort of user might dream of having a Full Frame body but for most amateurs an APS-C sensor is enough (I'm certainly sticking with the smaller format).

Nikon starts at a lower price (D60) and finishes higher (D300). The D300 is an excellent professional camera and I don't need more.

As for lenses - I don't feel Canon is committed to the smaller sensor format. Nikon has twice as many lenses for the small format sensor, they are cheaper and smaller than a full-frame equivalent and they "break the rules" - my 18-200VR is almost as good as my f2.8 constant zooms but I can do almost everything with it. I can go from wideangle to extreme telephoto in an instant. This is very useful at an event like a wedding where I can do a picture of a group at table then zoom in on someone behind and do a close-up portrait. With Canon you have a wide choice of excellent lenses - designed for full frame. The 17-40 f4 has limited zoom range, the 24-105 is not wide enough...

Nikon is still ahead of Canon for flash and autofocus.

I have no use for a 500mm f4 and I hardly ever use my primes. I don't do bird photography. At the Olympics the number of black lenses was about the same as the number of white lenses. In France when I go to an event and I count the number of prosumer DSLR's Nikon outnumbers Canon by about 2 to 1.

So as I said at the start - it would be nice for the original poster to give us an idea of what he wants to do. Then we can imagine some configurations.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Don't be tempted into a system because of a camera.

As I've stated somewhere (which thread I forget now) recently, look past the cameras and think about what types of lenses you hope to eventually acquire for your type of shooting. It may be difficult to do if you are fairly new to the game, but a little research should allow you to pencil a list of lenses and accessories which you may want to purchase.

Now see what system will give you the closest set of matches and see what the cost will be. Personally, I went with Canon because they have a better selection of lenses for what I shoot.

Others can disagree with me, but forget about the "feel" of a camera. More than likely, one is going to upgrade the first camera body in a very short period of time. Lenses stay around on the store shelves a lot longer than any particular body does.

Whoops, I almost forgot to answer your question - Nikon or Canon?: "yes"
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I went Nikon because I had existing lenses for the Nikon System. Also the canon within my price range just didn't feel right in my hands.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Re: He fell for it

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais

Nikon is still ahead of Canon for flash and autofocus.

[snip]

So as I said at the start - it would be nice for the original poster to give us an idea of what he wants to do. Then we can imagine some configurations.
    Other than the flash and AF, it simply cannot go wrong by choosing Canon. More importantly, most who do the kind of photography that you think requires good AF and flash still use Canon and get things done perfectly. Most who don't still find Canon an excellant system. So, even without wastedyouth giving us any more info, suggesting Canon is a good and safe answer.

My response actually shouldn't lead to any debate - which wastedyouth may want to see but many of you would rather avoid - simply because of what I have stated. But, you jumped in and disagreed...

wastedyouth, in the long run I don't think it really matters, each have different things going for them and I am sure that what ever you decide will be the best for you. The only thing you have to realize is that once you have chosen a system, then you are more or less committed to it - that's all. So you have to decide which you want to commit to.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Other than the flash and AF, it simply cannot go wrong by choosing Canon. More importantly, most who do the kind of photography that you think requires good AF and flash still use Canon and get things done perfectly.
    I wish you would stop using the word 'most'. You haven't got a great grasp of what's really happening out there in the market. Nikon's sales are through the roof, and whether you think so or not, in the past year Nikon has seized a huge amount of market share in the professional market. Nikons, not Canons, now have the majority on the sidelines. Newspapers and news organizations worldwide have switched their entire systems. I've been to shoot a few football games with large Sports Illustrated crews working it- one, the UF-Miami game, had SIX fresh off the Beijing Olympics. Every single one of them had multiple Nikon D3s.

Frankly, Canon's faltered lately. Nikon's consumer line has been matching or outselling the Canon line. The bracketed price points give each model for each brand a defined market with some overlap, but no absolute direct overlap. On the high end, the 40D and 1D mark III have shown some notable deficiencies compared to the Nikon equivalents, the most glaring one being the 1D mark III's autofocus debacle. This more than anything has turned hundreds of professionals off Canon. A few pro canon shooters I know, currently shooting Mark IIs and long teles, are either evaluating or planning their Nikon switches.
    The competition is fierce, and really each potential owner NEEDS to evaluate their own needs, lens choices, and the feel of the cameras for themselves. Blanket statements like yours do not work, sorry.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    in the past year Nikon has seized a huge amount of market share in the professional market. Nikons, not Canons, now have the majority on the sidelines. Newspapers and news organizations worldwide have switched their entire systems. [snip]
    Frankly, Canon's faltered lately.
    You said lately, recently. The time frame I have in minde covers longer than that. You talked about pro markets. I talked about everybody. Not exactly the same thing.
    Eevn if lately some Canon users have switched to Nikon, if at the beginning Canon users actually are much larger in number than Nikon, a small number of switch-overs probaly don't tip the scale. BTW, I also know a couple of shooters who changed from Canon to Nikons, too..lately.

No, I don't have the statistice, but I do see more people shooting with Canon rather than Nikon wherever I go. Perhaps a survey could be in order to see between Canon and Nikon which one has its cameras used by most people. Now that I think about it, next time I go to the camera stores, I'll ask them which one they sell most.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

I think it's great that both camps have such strong supporters. Each must be doing a good job.

Do we even know what types of photography the OP is in to? Can we agree that no one system is "better" for all types of photography?

In my field (N&W), I can tell you that it varies depending on what and where I'm shooting. For macros and general "trail shooting", I see a lot more Nikons. But for birding, I see Canons outnumber Nikons 4:1 - sometimes 5:1. I can even tell you exactly what lens is the most popular for birding: the Canon 100-400mm.

For industrial/commercial work, I see Canons more often than Nikons. But for general snap shooting, I see more Nikons. So it just depends on who is shooting and what is being shot.

wastedyouth - we can tell you all that we think you want to hear. But I have a feeling you probably already have a preference.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Canon or Nikon get a Canikon!

Each system is very good. Lately Nikon has taken the lead in DSLR sales especially due to their entry level line. Canon has a very good selection of lenses, and leads the overall camera market. For the average photog Nikon's or Canon's lens selection is pretty good.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

How about hiring one of each for a weekend and seeing which one suits your needs.

I own a canon, but I would just as happily pick up a nikon, or a fuji, or a sony.....
    but then I have learnt enough about photography to hopefully wring the best from any camera. Canon has the majority of market share as nikon dropped the ball for a little while (probably in marketing more than anything else) but as stated above nikon is rapidly rebuilding catching up. Most people don't change their systems, sure they might replace bodies or lenses over time but most won't swap everything in one hit due to the cost, so whatever you choose it must suit you and you alone. Pick a budget, work out what you think you might spend in the future (then allow a little more) then shop around for the best bang for buck. I wouldn't worry about which system it ends up being. Those people who do either never got over the how big is your lens syndrome or never learnt to properly drive it.

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

You said lately, recently. The time frame I have in minde covers longer than that. You talked about pro markets. I talked about everybody. Not exactly the same thing.
    Eevn if lately some Canon users have switched to Nikon, if at the beginning Canon users actually are much larger in number than Nikon, a small number of switch-overs probaly don't tip the scale. BTW, I also know a couple of shooters who changed from Canon to Nikons, too..lately.

No, I don't have the statistice, but I do see more people shooting with Canon rather than Nikon wherever I go. Perhaps a survey could be in order to see between Canon and Nikon which one has its cameras used by most people. Now that I think about it, next time I go to the camera stores, I'll ask them which one they sell most.
    Canon's dominance in the market was also relatively recent. Nikon has been the symbol of professional 35mm photography for about 50 years. Canon had a period in the early 1990s or so where they gained a significant lead, then Nikon came back with the F5/F100, then brought out the first ground up DSLRs and gained a lot of footing there. Canon only really began to dominate the pro market about 4 years ago or so. Nikon and Canon have historically been 60/40 in one direction or the other in the pro market almost constantly for the past oh 25 years.

On the consumer end of the market, it's been much closer than that. While Canon has had some periods where one market segment had significant advantages (e.g. 20D in the long gap where the D100 was not replaced) and thus gained a lot of user base, in the overall timescale of DSLRs (get this- it's only been 9 years since the first ground up DSLR- the D1- was announced, and 5 years since the first DSLR body for $1000 or less was announced), Canon has had some longer stretches with an absolute lead over the market, but volumes have increased dramatically in the past 2.5 years especially. In that time frame, Nikon has closed the gap, and other brands gaining marketshare (sony, Olympus, Pentax, etc.) have affected Canon's market share figures more than Nikon's.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information