ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar

Headin' to N Carolina!

We're going on a business trip, but we may have 2-3 days to do a little exploring. I would LOVE to get some great photos of North Carolina and I need some ideas for photo ops. We've never been to NC before. We will be around the Raleigh area for sure, but would like to visit the mounatins and/or coastline if possible. We do not have any definate plans, and are just begining to gather some ideas. Please help!

Thanks!
    Kathy

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

The Blue Ridge Parkway

I'm not sure how far it is from the Raleigh area, but if you're close, I would check out the Blue Ridge Parkway. I have never been there, but is very high on my places to go list. If you're not familar with it, it's been described as a National Park you can view from your car. Lots of places to stop and get out and explore too.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: Headin' to N Carolina!

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl
    We're going on a business trip, but we may have 2-3 days to do a little exploring. I would LOVE to get some great photos of North Carolina and I need some ideas for photo ops. We've never been to NC before. We will be around the Raleigh area for sure, but would like to visit the mounatins and/or coastline if possible. We do not have any definate plans, and are just begining to gather some ideas. Please help!

Thanks!
    Kathy
    I lived in western NC (Clyde, west of Asheville) for about 6.5 years. It is beautifu! But, in the winter it can be pretty dreary. There are not a lot of evergreens so all the forests are grey and dead looking. Much of the time, the Blue Ridge Parway is shut down thanks to the waether. Once in a while, you can drive up to Clingman's Dome in the Smokies when the road is claer enough.

The rest of the year is stunning! Maybe you could postpone your trip until April or May?
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Cowgirl, I know that Speed lives somehwere on the coast out there. I am sure if he sees this he will give some good advice to you.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Talking Re: Headin' to N Carolina!

Thanks!
    Kathy

Hehehehe!

Hey Kathy! The Blue Ridge Parkway is 5 to 6 hours from Raleigh, and as has already been mentioned, they close the roads when the weather gets nasty.

The coast, on the other hand, is 2.5 hours from Raliegh. Here in Cartert County, we have Fort Macon (a Civil War era brick fort), Cape Lookout Lighthouse (I've got a boat, and I'd be happy to take you over), the Core Sound Waterfowl Museum, The Maritime Museum, and in May, the NC Aquarium in Pine Knoll Shores is reopening. The aquarium has been closed for a year and a half now. They totally took the old building down, and the new facility is going to be three times the size of the old one. I'm looking forward to that myself.

We also have some old houses in Beaufort, dating back to the early 1700's, and some old graveyards to go with them. Tryon Palace is about 30 minutes from my house (it was a former capital of NC). They don't allow photo's, but it is still an interesting place to visit.

When are you coming to NC? I gather it will be you and the husband? Are you interested in staying in a hotel, a bed and breakfast, or would you like to stay with us if you come down? Things to think about. Also, if you call 1-800-SUNNYNC, they will send you an information package on the area. PM me if you want more details, have any questions, want a phone number to talk to me, etc.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

The BBQ of Course

enough said!
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Wink Re: The BBQ of Course

Quote Originally Posted by shutterman
    enough said!

Well, in Carteret County you have a choice of BBQ. Rolands and Smithfields. Go to Greenville, and it's B's BBQ, Kinston has King's BBQ, and, well, you get the idea!

;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: The BBQ of Course

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Well, in Carteret County you have a choice of BBQ. Rolands and Smithfields. Go to Greenville, and it's B's BBQ, Kinston has King's BBQ, and, well, you get the idea!

;-)

You are killing me! We have nothing up here in Northern VA! I am jealous. Do any of those places ship?
    Wes

Smile Do any of those places ship?

Quote Originally Posted by shutterman
    You are killing me! We have nothing up here in Northern VA! I am jealous. Do any of those places ship?
    Not that I am aware of.

But cheer up. We're only 8 hours from the DC area. Come on down and visit us this spring or summer, and I'll make sure you get your fill of BBQ buddy! We'll even get you some to-go boxes so you can take some home with you.

:-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Re: For the BBQ

Well, speed, I may take you up on that. I am hoping to plan a weekend trip sometime to go to Asheville and see Biltmore House and the surrounding area. How far would that be from you?
    Last edited by srobb; 01-18-2006 at 07:11 AM. Reason: because I wanted to
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Re: For the BBQ

Just got back last night. It should be sunny and in the 60's. Coming from WI that was great, but from Texas, you might want to pack your winter coats. Going to post some photos....

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Kathy, I live in Clayton, just south of Raleigh, and work in RTP.

Honestly, there ain't a whole lot to Raleigh, so don't know if you will get much other than the typical urban shot there (if I can even really define it as "urban"). BUT...as you head down the back roads you'll find tons of farms and barns and just gorgeous scenery. It's one of the greenest states I've ever seen.

The beach (Wilmington) is about 2 hours away. The mountains are more like 5. But worth the trip if you take it!

There are also a lot of parks around that are simply beautiful! New Bern is very pretty and also within a day's doing.

Raleigh really is a nice place just not a jumping place. I had more of a culture shock moving here than I did moving to Germany. It's really laid back and not exactly jumping. But you will enjoy your trip, no doubt!

Can't wait to see your shots!
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Come on guys!

Don't you know that TEXAS BBQ RULES!

We still don't know our itenery yet, but we are thinking about crossing the mounatins from Tennessee on the way to Raleigh, then hitting the coast, and then heading back to Texas on the south route. I know its pretty broad!

Adina - I'd love to see your photos!

Kathy

What are some of the better back roads/ farming areas around Raleigh? I love backroads, and rural areas too!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Kathy

I got them posted....they're in the thread titled back from N.C.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

How far would that be from you?

Quote Originally Posted by srobb
    Well, speed, I may take you up on that. I am hoping to plan a weekend trip sometime to go to Asheville and see Biltmore House and the surrounding area. How far would that be from you?

About eight hours away. Depends on how much time you have whether it would be feasible.

North Carolina is about 500 miles long, so it's a long haul from the mountains to the coast.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Talking The beach (Wilmington) is about 2 hours away.

THE BEACH is Atlantic Beach!

;-)

Hehehe. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

And yes, you can get to Wilmington in 2 hours, since Interstate 40 goes all the way there.

BUT, I don't live in Wilmington. I live in Carteret County.

:-D
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Don't you know that TEXAS BBQ RULES! :D :D :D

Come on guys!

Don't you know that TEXAS BBQ RULES!

We still don't know our itenery yet, but we are thinking about crossing the mounatins from Tennessee on the way to Raleigh, then hitting the coast, and then heading back to Texas on the south route. I know its pretty broad!

Adina - I'd love to see your photos!

Kathy

Never had Texas BBQ, but I hear it's world famous. ;-)

If you take I 40 across, you WILL go through the mountains. Gorgeous country up there. My college buddies and I try to make a trip up there every year to do some camping and photography.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

What are some of the better back roads/ farming areas

What are some of the better back roads/ farming areas around Raleigh? I love backroads, and rural areas too!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Kathy
    www.sunnync.com

Order the information package. It has a state map in it.

Actually, there are more back roads than you can shake a stick at. The key is to find a road that doesn't make you stop every few miles for a stop sign. It'll take forever to get to the coast on some of those roads. Dbutler should be able to give you an idea of which roads would be good.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Wink It should be sunny and in the 60's

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Just got back last night. It should be sunny and in the 60's. Coming from WI that was great, but from Texas, you might want to pack your winter coats. Going to post some photos....

adina
    More or less...

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...nav_undeclared

;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Re: Don't you know that TEXAS BBQ RULES! :D :D :D

I had been going to say that if you are coming in from TN, you will be very close to the mountains and Asheville. That's where you'll find Biltmore.

I don't know if the Blue Ridge is open right now. Normally, it's closed during the coldest winter months. But this one has been so warm (I left work yesterday and my thermometer was reading almost 70, but that's down here; the mountains are a wee bit colder) that maybe they haven't closed it. If it is open (even if just partially) you absolutely need to take it. There's not a bad spot anywhere on the road.

As for backroads, just head off in any direction outside of Raleigh. Grab a map and just pick a route running alongside 40 or in whatever direction you want and you will find your "back road" (this area really isn't very built up). You'll notice that the area takes turns. You will find pockets of larger towns, then country, larger town, then country, larger town.... And tons of service roads that run alongside and all the farms and barns. So, coming up from the mountains (or should I say down) you'll come past the winston-salem area then find lots of country, then you'll hit the greensboro area, then lots of country (Charlotte's in there somewhere but that's truly a city!). It'll be that way the whole way up 40.
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Re: Don't you know that TEXAS BBQ RULES! :D :D :D

And I agree with Speed that Carteret County beaches are infinitely better (Though Corolla will always hold my heart! Sorry!). I offered up A beach not THE beach.
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

Re: Do any of those places ship?

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Not that I am aware of.

But cheer up. We're only 8 hours from the DC area. Come on down and visit us this spring or summer, and I'll make sure you get your fill of BBQ buddy! We'll even get you some to-go boxes so you can take some home with you.

We usually make a trip down to Charleston and Savannah each year - Now I know that is in South Carolina, but they still have some good eats. Here are some shots from Melvin's in Charleston and Johnny Harris' in Savannah. Mmmmmm,mmmmmmm Good!

these are from my series "Charleston and Savannah - a culinary adventure" on http://www.cantrallnet.net/

Man I am hungry!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Headin'   to N Carolina!-0008.jpg   Headin'   to N Carolina!-0009.jpg   Headin'   to N Carolina!-0018.jpg   Headin'   to N Carolina!-0019.jpg  
    Wes

I offered up A beach not THE beach. :)

Quote Originally Posted by dbutler
    And I agree with Speed that Carteret County beaches are infinitely better (Though Corolla will always hold my heart! Sorry!). I offered up A beach not THE beach.

I know, I just couldn't resist picking on you!

;-)

No apologies for loving Corolla (or any other beach). Every area has it's merits, and what you love is what you love!

Actually, I wish Cartert County was less popular. Developers are building like crazy and property prices are going through the roof. It's insane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Headin'   to N Carolina!-311-20-pr.jpg  
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Thread Information