ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: HCB Interview

HCB Interview

This is a link to a video of Charlie Rose interviewing Henri Cartier-Bresson, with a short appearance by Richard Avedon. I found a link to this on one of those other photo websites. Some of you may have already seen it, but it was new to me so I thought I'd pass it along. The sound is not great; you will probably need headphones or a quiet place to watch it. I think it is very interesting to see a glimpse into the personality of the man behind so many great images. Plus, I found my new favorite quote. Hope you enjoy it.

Paul

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...sv_charlierose

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: HCB Interview

Great appearance by Avedon too!
    That's a great quote Paul, but there's no reason you have to have just one, put your beer one up too!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Great appearance by Avedon too!
    That's a great quote Paul, but there's no reason you have to have just one, put your beer one up too!
    Brian
    Homer's beer quote is forever ingrained in the college portion of my memory (right next to all that other useless information). I'll pull it out again one day when the situation is right.

That HCB quote followed a question in which he was asked if he ever thought much about the past or the future. I can't quote his entire answer, but he basically said no, and that life is about what's happening now. Sitting in a gallery, surrounded by the decisive moments of his life, he made what would normally sound cliche into something profound.

Paul

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Ahh the college days!
    Sounds like Paul is maturing a bit there...
    I don't care what people think Henri Cartier-Bresson was one of the greatest photographers ever.
    Thanks for sharing this.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Paul,

Thanks - he's my photographic hero and the interview was excellent - that quote is in one of his books; I thinks its "The Minds Eye" which is where I got my quote from.

Thank you for finding this and pointing it out to me.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Sounds like Paul is maturing a bit there...
    Are you trying to get me to post that Homer quote again?

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Paul,

Thanks - he's my photographic hero and the interview was excellent - that quote is in one of his books; I thinks its "The Minds Eye" which is where I got my quote from.

Thank you for finding this and pointing it out to me.

Roger
    Glad you liked it, Roger. I should check out "The Minds Eye." I haven't read that, but after seeing this interview, I think I'd like it.

HCB is one of my favorite photographers, but I really haven't spent as much time as I should looking at some of the other great street photographer's work.

Paul

Thread Information