ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

hate to toot my own horn ....

At our last photo club meeting we did our monthly contest which happened to be architecture, and we had our judging for the PSA contest. Well I won the photo of the month and had top score in the PSA contest.

My winning photo of the month put me in the lead in points (we have a point system that we run for a year then have a voting on the 12 photos for the year and have a photo of the year). My PSA entry goes on to regional voting. We had 20 people show at the meeting (our club is restructured and basically starting over - growing every month) The total score possible was 200 - I scored 168.

Sorry just needed to toot my horn some - nice to see how my skills have grown over the past year - alot of help from everyone here and it is greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Here is my photo of the month entry - taken in Chicago at Millennium park

Here is my PSA contest entry - we had about 50 photos and only 7 could be entered - taken at Pewitt's Nest in the Wisconsin Dells area.

Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Talking Re: hate to toot my own horn ....

Don't be shy about tooting your own horn!

We love hearing how our fellow members are doing, especially when they are winning contests, selling prints, or getting published. We like sharing in your joy.

Besides which, we all feel like we contributed to your sucess, so it's a minor pat on the back for the rest of us as well.

Congratulations!!!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: hate to toot my own horn ....

Two very deserving photos Ben. Congrats on the honors. I'd be tooting a bit myself.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Very cool...

Quote Originally Posted by WsW-WYATT-EARP
    Well I won the photo of the month and had top score in the PSA contest...
    Not bad. I act as a sort of creative consultant and web master for our local photo club, and they're winning stuff left and right. It's a kick, because there's a lot of really good work being done at this level...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thanks for the comments - since we took over the group we are getting more involved with contests and such - gives everyone a reason to get out and shoot - we try to incorporate the group outings with the subject of the photo of the month.

Its more fun to go shoot when you have a subject your looking for. Then when you see "the shot" its much more rewarding when you get photo of the month or top score in a vote.
    Ben

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Congratulations Ben!! Is this shot from Pewitt's nest from the day I saw you there, or did you go back again? I was there a couple of weeks ago, and the stream is full of trees from all the rain we had last month. It's not nearly as pretty now as it was earlier this summer due to all the downed trees. I still might make a trip up there once the leaves turn.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Yes Michael - this was the day you seen me up there, I have not had the time yet to make it back up there. We are also hoping to make the trip up there again when the leaves turn as I can imagine that devils lake and all the other places in the area are just amazing with the color.

Maybe we can plan the same weekend ? I am probably looking at October 13 - probably past the peak though - but our photo club is going to door county the 6th
    Ben

My Saturday mornings are booked until after the 20th. I have been going to our local farmers market on Saturdays to sell my photos. I hate giving up my Sat. morning, but the exposure and the $ are nice. If/when I go, it will most likely be early on a Sunday morning. I will let you know if I plan anything. Most likely, it will be a spur of the moment trip tho. If you do go on the 13th, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Maybe I can talk the wife into going to the farmers market for me.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Congrats, Ben - nice work!

Way to go Ben. It's nice to hear someone tooting their horn once in while!

And it's easy to see why you've got reason to be tooting with shots like those.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Toot Toot! Ben you toot your own horn a lot! The photos are ok! I wouldn't go bragging about them though! Just messing with ya you know I like the waterfall!!

PKG Rocks!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Well deserved honor to a good photographer for some good photos. Congrats.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I was so surprised that you take those incredible shots with awards, and this forum really helped you on your development. I want to be like you too someday! Congratulations.

Wow Ben you won again! Congratulations for taking Octobers Photo Of The Month! Thats two in a row. Now get that photo up and show everyone what a two time champion does in his free time

Yes - I won again. Unclebuck13 is the president of our photo club.

Here is the shot that took photo of the month honors for me again.

Ben

VERY nice Ben! I can see why you won again Congrats :thumbsup:
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Congratulations Ben! Is this from last weeks outing? I have only processed a few of my shots from my trip last Friday. The one I did process was of Pewit's Nest. Actually it was a 7 photos pano that I created. I printed it 30x12.75, and sold it for $125 yesterday to a woman who lives abour 3 miles from there.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Sweet Deal Ben, Congrats.....
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information