ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

The Hanging Tree

The hanging tree.
    My story starts about me heading out to the ranch land area,checking out a old folk lore,about

the hanging tree in the picture,all my research brought me to a old ranch hand by the name of

Everet Mcquade,a 95 year old veteran of his trade,wether or not you believe his story is purely

your choice, for me , I believe every word,and saw first hand the evidence.
    His story begins from the time he was thirteen,a young ranchhand proving to his older peers,

that he could do the job as well as any other on a horse,moving cattle back from one pasture to

the next,rotating the grass lands, a practice handed down from generations of ranchers in this

area,Everet was a hard working man,the cracks in his hands show proof of that,along with his

gruff appearance,He recalls the times the hanging tree was used in many occasions,In fact the

last time it was used for a hanging,was july of 78,It was the last time he performed the hanging

by his own hands.
    rustlers were never a problem,it was a different time back then he recants to me,a time that

called for extreme measures,no-one was told about this practise,until now, evil times he coughs

outloud,It was the cows ! once a week the ranch hands would wake in the morning dew while

out in the fields with all their boots missing,nothing was more embarrassing than riding home

with holes in your socks and your big toe sticking out.vengence was a very high priority,summers

would pass, and every year the ranch hands would lose thier boots,until young Everet caught a

cow in the act of stealing a cow hands boot while he slept,after further investigations they

began to find old leather boots under the cow patties in the fields, you could understand why

this story never got out,after all who would want to eat their evil beef,.
    The hanging tree remains a solid reminder of the evil days when cows tried to out-smart the

ranchers, they would throw a rope over the long branch as they would for a horse thief,and kick

out the milk stool from under their front hooves,there they dangled to their last breath,.Everet

Mcquade retired at 65 after his last hanging,he says they got them all,he says his grandchildren

have taken over the ranch and never have mentioned about missing boots,except for the ones

Everet fixes on the side, I asked just how many cows did they hang during those years,37 he

whispered as he solemnly walked away.
    I found out later that the last one was his favorite,Buttercup,betrayed by the very one he

delivered at birth in the field on his 55th birthday during a lightning storm. I would like to thank

Everet Mcquade for sharing his story and giving me the permission to photograph this special

tree.
    Nikon D300
    11mm-16mm tokina f2.8
    18mm-55mm
    55mm-200mm vr.
    Nikon F65
    28mm-80mm
    28mm-70mm
    Sony H5 p&s
    1.7 tele lens
    nikon sb-800
    nikon sb-600

Re: The Hanging Tree

Taaallllllll tales with tails. Thanks Gerry.

Thanks PBD

For a great photo and a great story.
    Dave

Nikon D60 :thumbsup:
    Nikor 35 f 1.8 ... Nikor 18-200 f 3.5/5.6 ...Nikor 18-55 f 3.5/5.6 ... Nikor 55-200mm f 4.5/5.6
    Nikon SB-600 Flash

Fujifilm FinePix S9000 - A Digicam ...
    Not a true DSLR but close enough :wink5:
    Promaster 5750DX Flash

Nikon FG :thumbsup:
    Nikon 50mm f 1.8 ,,, Quantaray 28-80mm f 3.5-4.5 ... Quantaray 80-300mm F 5
    Nikon MD-E motor drive
    Nikon SB-15 Flash

thanks for the comments,its truely just a tall tale i invented while driving out to camp to keep me amused while my son sleeps.
    Nikon D300
    11mm-16mm tokina f2.8
    18mm-55mm
    55mm-200mm vr.
    Nikon F65
    28mm-80mm
    28mm-70mm
    Sony H5 p&s
    1.7 tele lens
    nikon sb-800
    nikon sb-600

Thread Information