ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

The gymnastics comp...

on the weekend for my 6 yo daughter was great fun. Overall she came fourth which is not bad for her. She was happy so that's the main thing! This guy was there to do a display on the floor. Talk about amazing! He was so fast and could flip so high it was difficult to get a great shot! Here is what I was able to get, not bad considering the room wasnt bright enough without flash and my long range zoom lens is relatively slow! I wouldnt mind getting a good lens for sports like this but they are so expensive!

Liz

Re: The gymnastics comp...

Wow! Good for your daughter! Considering what you were up against with the lighting and movement, you managed to get some great shots. It's very difficult to get good shots with this type of sport - especially indoors unless you have the right (expensive) lens.

Thanks for posting your photos. I enjoyed viewing them.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by tink
    on the weekend for my 6 yo daughter was great fun. Overall she came fourth which is not bad for her. She was happy so that's the main thing! This guy was there to do a display on the floor. Talk about amazing! He was so fast and could flip so high it was difficult to get a great shot! Here is what I was able to get, not bad considering the room wasnt bright enough without flash and my long range zoom lens is relatively slow! I wouldnt mind getting a good lens for sports like this but they are so expensive!

Yup, not sure what your shooting with but lenses are not cheap. The one I really want is $6000, but that will wait a while. I am in the process of working out details to buy two more lenses, those will cost over $3000.

A fast lens would have helped for your shots here. The light always seems bad at gymnastics events. I shoot several each year for the paper as we have one of the states top gymnastics teams in our county, and the past two years have shot the state finals. It's tough at some locations to get really good shots even with a fast lens.

Glad your daughter enjoyed the time though!

JS

Hey nice job Tink. You took a very tuff subject and difficult lighting situation and came away with some real gems. Well done.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thread Information