ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Guess what broke my D200?

Well, I should start by saying that I'll only be needing a replacement shutter but I must say I feel really stupid right now. Unfortunately, my d200 is broken and none of my other digital cameras can get a good shot of the shutter "curtain" but needless to say it kinda broke when a pine-needle got wedged in there and it broke a small piece of the shutter. It opens and closes but there's a hanging piece of shutter in my images and it's visible if you look at it through a magnifying glass with ample light. The sensor wasn't scratched thankfully; for the pine needle got stopped in its tracks and wedged by the shutter (ouch :cryin.

So how did the pine needle get in there?:idea: It turns out that when I switched from my 17-35mm to my 300mm during an outdoor shoot, since I fiddled with the lens hood a bit, I left my D200 on the grass, mount facing up. Somehow a pine needle fell in there (or I shook a pine needle off my shirt maybe) and when I mounted my 300mm and took a shoot I heard chuh-stop-CHINK! That's when I saw in the LCD screen a black object that clearly was a broken piece of my shutter.

Unfortunately although I'm part of Nikon Professional Services, they will only give immediate replacements for broken "Pro" bodies (meaning I should have broken my D1 instead :mad2. Instead, Cameta decided they would swap my D200 for another one while they fix it and then return it back to me for a rather modest fee of $70 for the week plus the repair costs from Nikon after I explained the fact that I NEED the D200 for this weekend.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: Guess what broke my D200?

Ouch!

So where's the photo?

Is it pretty tough to get into NPS? I think I almost have all the qualifying gear to get in
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

FACE UP!! oops.
    Bumemr fx but sounds like you have the connection to get a fast fix and a camera to use in the meantime.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Hmmm, might be time for a Canon. :idea: I believe Canon cameras are tougher than pine needles.

Seriously, that does stink. At least you'll have another one to use. It's still a shame about the added expense.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Thread Information