ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Photographer Harrassment in Silver Spring, MD

Just found this.....
    apparantly it's 'illegal' to take pictures in downtown Silver Spring, MD.

http://www.nowpublic.com/photography...pring_maryland

Just another example of the paranoia going on in America.

Re: Photographer Harrassment in Silver Spring, MD

Great article. Thanks for sharing it. There should be a law that anything built with public funding can't have a photography ban. Seriously. This would be a very good project to start. If I helped pay for it, you shouldn't be able to stop me from taking pictures. Of course, if national security really is an issue, I understand. But those instances are few and far between. This isn't just an issue for photographers, either. It's a civil liberties problem. We need to portect our right to monitor and share what's happening in the US and around the world. If we can't do that, things can be hidden. And that's not good.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Photographer Harrassment in Silver Spring, MD

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Great article. Thanks for sharing it. There should be a law that anything built with public funding can't have a photography ban. Seriously. This would be a very good project to start. If I helped pay for it, you shouldn't be able to stop me from taking pictures. Of course, if national security really is an issue, I understand. But those instances are few and far between. This isn't just an issue for photographers, either. It's a civil liberties problem. We need to portect our right to monitor and share what's happening in the US and around the world. If we can't do that, things can be hidden. And that's not good.
    Businesses, local, state, and federal governments are using 9/11 as a crutch to keep people from excercising the rights granted in the Constitution. People are being murdered day after day, and they worry about a guy with a camera. A photographer from TX was in Indianapolis to photograph a F1 race, and was harrassed by the cops because a little bit of a government building was in the shot he took of an art exhibit. What in the he** is wrong with this country?

Thread Information