ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Liz

Decisions! need input please!

I could really use some input here. Some of my heavier lenses aren't getting used due to back problems. Since an accident a few years ago I've had (sometimes severe) back problems resulting in frequent migraines due to carrying/lifting anything heavy. Lately when I use my XTi with one of my heavier lenses, I experience a lot of pain which takes the fun out of it all, obviously. I only have this problem when I use the longer and/or heavier lenses - I can use the 50mm/f1.4 lens without a problem. Believe me, the 1-2 lb added weight does matter a lot! However, I do like to have that zoom capability. So...what to do!

I've thought about resolving it by getting a good quality P&S - but I CAN'T give up my DSLR. Personally, I've never been able to get comparable IQ from a P&S (and I've had some nice ones). Not to mention how much I love my XTi!

I'd love some input on one thought I've had recently.

I am thinking about selling my heavier (IS/zoom) lenses and purchasing one of the new P&S cameras with in-camera IS and a longer zoom. The P&S zooms are not nearly as heavy as the DSLR with a heavy lens attached. The lenses that I would consider selling would pay for the P&S.

I've seen some really nice images from these new P&S cameras, but not enough to make me give up the DSLR - plus I couldn't go back to shutter lag. :nonod: I definitely need the IS when using the longer zoom (I have a slight camera shake problem at times).

I would still use my DSLR with the smaller lens most of the time. Lately my heavier lenses don't get used much due to this problem.

Any thoughts? Thanks.......I'm sort of afraid to do this, but I have to do something.

Liz

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Decisions! need input please!

Is the pain caused by the weight, or the distribution of the weight?

I'm rather overweight and find that holding the 1D and a 70-200 causes pain in the lower back and shoulders. Because of the added weight to the front of my spine, where the belly overhangs
    Yet when I'm more balanced with a rucksack on my back carrying the rest of my gear, no backache.
    Oh yes, my feet hurt at the end of the day. But I can cope with that

But if your problem is spinal, rather than muscular, then the weight would be a big problem, I can see that.

Yes, an alternative is to use lighter lenses.
    But then you lose the wide aperture, which may restrict you in other ways.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Liz

Yes, an alternative is to use lighter lenses.
    But then you lose the wide aperture, which may restrict you in other ways
    Paul,

I can use the 50mm/f1.4 without a problem. I also had the 35mm/f2 at one time which I liked. If I stick with the smaller/lighter lenses on the XTi, I'm good. I seem to be able to carry this combo without it affecting my neck or back. However, with just a little added weight I cross the line somehow.

The problem isn't weight distribution with me. The neurologist explained that due to my injuries in both my neck and back that when I pick up something heavy - and especially if I carry it around for a while - regardless of where the weight is put, it affects the neck and upper back area. It not only gives me immediate pain which increases with time, but it triggers something that results in a migraine usually the next day.

BTW, I use my 50mm/f1.4 most of the time anyway. However, there are times when I'm out just having a good photography time looking for anything I can find - mostly street photography - that I would really miss that zoom.

Also - one reason I'm considering a p&s vs longer zooms is that I've seen some really good quality p&s photos lately with the in-camera IS - and when I use a zoom I get much better results with IS due to camera shake. The lighter zooms don't have the IS.

Liz

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Liz,
    The wieght issue is one of the reasons I sold my SLR kit and went to a rangefinder.
    They are SO MUCH lighter, compared to any SLR.
    I know it isn't the answer you were looking for, but it IS an idea..
    There are two digital rangefinder currently.
    My train of thought, if I'm not using it. SELL IT!
    Good Luck!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Liz, I've seen some danged nice shots taken with a modern P & S. I've actually taken a couple good ones myself. I use a Panasonic with IS and a 12X zoom with 6 mp, but considering you are a Canon girl, you may want to look into the Canon S3 IS. That also has the IS with 12X zoom and I'm thinking 7 mp. I've seen sites where the photos taken with a point and shoot were much better than some taken with high priced DSLR's. It ain't all about the camera. One drawback with a P & S is if you like landscapes, you may wish to buy a conversion lens because you aren't really capable of wide angle shots with a P & S. My Panasonic also has a burst mode, which is nice. The lag time isn't that bad.

Good luck.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

I have another idea that you might not like. How about considering a different DSLR...one with CCD-shift IS? Then, you could use lighter lenses.

I'm sorry to hear about your back problems. I have some relatively minor back problems, and even that can be a real drag.

Paul

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

What kind of zoom range are you looking for Liz? I'm sure there are some cheaper/lighter zooms that would be better for you, but then you will be giving up your fast f/ and IS as was already mentioned. I have heard good things about the 28-135IS lens, but I don't know if that would be too heavy, or too short. What lens is it that you are having the problems with?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Liz,
    The wieght issue is one of the reasons I sold my SLR kit and went to a rangefinder.
    They are SO MUCH lighter, compared to any SLR.
    I know it isn't the answer you were looking for, but it IS an idea..
    There are two digital rangefinder currently.
    My train of thought, if I'm not using it. SELL IT!
    Good Luck!
    Brian
    Thanks Brian,

To be honest, I know little about the Rangefinder. I know they get good results, but I would be concerned because I have a slight camera shake problem - and lately have been using IS lenses for zooms. I don't need the IS for the 50mm/f1.4 due to short distance and aperture.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota scroller
    Liz, I've seen some danged nice shots taken with a modern P & S. I've actually taken a couple good ones myself. I use a Panasonic with IS and a 12X zoom with 6 mp, but considering you are a Canon girl, you may want to look into the Canon S3 IS. That also has the IS with 12X zoom and I'm thinking 7 mp. I've seen sites where the photos taken with a point and shoot were much better than some taken with high priced DSLR's. It ain't all about the camera. One drawback with a P & S is if you like landscapes, you may wish to buy a conversion lens because you aren't really capable of wide angle shots with a P & S. My Panasonic also has a burst mode, which is nice. The lag time isn't that bad.

Good luck.
    Thank you for your input. I have an older Panasonic without IS and it is pretty good except in low light - and it has a lot of noise above 100ISO. It also has a very small LCD screen. I'm going to sell this one.

Because I'm keeping my DSLR - either way - I can use the smaller lenses for landscapes. I also wouldn't need the zoom as often so would use the XTi more frequently with the smaller lenses. However, there are times that I would like the longer zoom - like vacation, street photography, etc. There are also days when my back bothers me more than others that I would prefer just having a zoom on a smaller camera. However, the IQ with the DSLR can't be beat and I love using it. I would never give it up.

Thanks again.
    Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    I have another idea that you might not like. How about considering a different DSLR...one with CCD-shift IS? Then, you could use lighter lenses.

I'm sorry to hear about your back problems. I have some relatively minor back problems, and even that can be a real drag.

Paul
    Thanks for the input. I really like the XTi - it's my favorite camera of all time so right now I couldn't part with it. However, it is actually a very light weight camera - I believe it is the lightest weight of all DSLR's. It's the heavier lens that is the problem.

Liz

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    The problem isn't weight distribution with me. The neurologist explained that due to my injuries in both my neck and back that when I pick up something heavy - and especially if I carry it around for a while - regardless of where the weight is put, it affects the neck and upper back area. It not only gives me immediate pain which increases with time, but it triggers something that results in a migraine usually the next day.
    Perhaps a different camera is the answer.
    Though you won't get a high return on your Canon lenses.

Look at a DSLR that has the anti-shake in the body so that you can use lighter (and cheaper!) lenses and still get the benefit.

I think that going to P&S is possible, but you will probably notice the quality difference compared to the XTi. Again you can get a P&S with either optical or ccd-shift stabilisation.

But with the smaller sensor and much shorter focal length lens, you'll notice a few things.
    - no nice shallow DoF even at f2.8
    - more noise in dark conditions
    - nowhere near your f/1.4 aperture
    - longer lag time during Autofocus and Autoexposure
    + even at f/8 good depth of focus
    + lighter
    + IS built in at all focal lengths
    + no lenses to carry about
    + smaller. less conspicuous on the street
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    What kind of zoom range are you looking for Liz? I'm sure there are some cheaper/lighter zooms that would be better for you, but then you will be giving up your fast f/ and IS as was already mentioned. I have heard good things about the 28-135IS lens, but I don't know if that would be too heavy, or too short. What lens is it that you are having the problems with?
    Yes, there is the catch! It took a long time for me to be able to get the better lenses, so this is a really big decision. I used to have the 28-135 - and it is a heavy lens. I have the 24-105 IS lens. I already sold the 70-300IS - which I found to be an excellent lens.

I want to keep the DSLR as my main camera using the 50mm/f1.4 - and maybe get another prime at some point. I just want the option of being able to zoom - and get some shots at the longer end. After I sold the 70-300 I really missed that lens, although I didn't use it as often. However, I was lost without it when I went to the Bronx zoo! I would also like something light weight with a zoom that I can take with me when I'm out for a long time and am going to be carrying it around all day - just so I can have more options. I can't carry a bag full of lenses!

Liz

Liz

think that going to P&S is possible, but you will probably notice the quality difference compared to the XTi. Again you can get a P&S with either optical or ccd-shift stabilisation

Yes, that's the problem. However, I'm keeping my DSLR as my main camera - using the 50mm/f1.4 - and maybe at some point getting another prime or other light lens. I just need something else right now to be able to use when I want more options. I really haven't made a decision. It's a very difficult choice for me because I love my lenses. But I'm not using them often enough. I'm afraid I'll regret selling them, but they're not doing much good gathering dust. I went to NYC over the weekend and really had some heavy duty pain after about an hour.

Thanks Paul.

Liz

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

How about the Adorama automatic monopod. Push the button like an umbrella, it extends to hold the heavier stuff while shooting then you put it away. Maybe a roller backpack to schlep everything around. That way you get to keep everything.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    How about the Adorama automatic monopod. Push the button like an umbrella, it extends to hold the heavier stuff while shooting then you put it away. Maybe a roller backpack to schlep everything around. That way you get to keep everything.
    Thanks Michael.......that is interesting. I would like to keep everything, but I also need to keep it simple. I had no idea there was such a thing as the auto monopod. :thumbsup: I'm learning all kinds of new things here today.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    But with the smaller sensor and much shorter focal length lens, you'll notice a few things.
    - no nice shallow DoF even at f2.8
    - more noise in dark conditions
    - nowhere near your f/1.4 aperture
    - longer lag time during Autofocus and Autoexposure
    + even at f/8 good depth of focus
    + lighter
    + IS built in at all focal lengths
    + no lenses to carry about
    + smaller. less conspicuous on the street
    I knew that my Panasonic was limited regarding apertures, but I never stopped to think that I wouldn't be able to obtain a nice shallow DOF with it. I don't shoot flowers or bugs so it really doesn't bother me. However, I did run out and attempt a photo of a tiger lily at 2.8, and how true. More DOF than I like to see in a flower shot. I'm not into scenics or landscapes either, so the minimum F8 wasn't an issue either. According to what you posted, F8 may work with this camera. When shooting scenics, I always think F16 or F22. Evidentally, apertures may work a little different in P & S 's compared to a DSLR. Interesting. As far as noise is concerned, this camera had the best rating of all it's predecessors. It's barely noticeable at ISO 200, and what's there I can process out.

All things considered, for my type of photography, I'm still happy with my Panasonic. Thanks for the info anyway, Paul. It's nice to know my limitations before I waste time attempting to do something that can't be accomplished.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

I'd sell the big lenses and get the p&s. If you'd use the p&s more than you are using the larger lenses, you're already ahead.

Okay, yeah, the image quality won't be as high, but really, are you printing posters? A nice p&s will give you sufficient quality for smaller sized prints. Also, alot of the new ones have full manual controls, so you still have the freedom you'd have with the slr.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I'd sell the big lenses and get the p&s. If you'd use the p&s more than you are using the larger lenses, you're already ahead.

Okay, yeah, the image quality won't be as high, but really, are you printing posters? A nice p&s will give you sufficient quality for smaller sized prints. Also, alot of the new ones have full manual controls, so you still have the freedom you'd have with the slr.
    Thanks for your input, Adina,

I did sell the 70-300 IS which I really loved but didn't use enough to warrant keeping it - that's one reason I think I might do well with a p&s when using the longer focal length. I do miss this lens, but don't regret selling it.

The 24-105IS is more difficult to part with. It's one awesome lens, took me a long time and selling other equipment to be able to get it - and I get great results. However, I think I can train myself to do without the zoom - and eventually if I need another prime (besides the 50mm/f1.4) I would go that route.

I really don't like having to make this decision, but on days like today when I have a migraine from carrying something heavy the previous day, I know it's the way to go. However, I'm okay with my XTi and a small lens - the XTi is a very light DSLR and the 50mm doesn't weigh much.

Liz

Liz

Well, at last I've made a decision that I'm peaceful about. I'm getting the Canon G7. I've read quite a bit about it and found a lot of personal reviews on B&H website which were excellent. I was pleasantly surprised to see that quite a few pros purchased this camera for the same reason - to complement their DSLR - and some of them stated their reasons were due to the weight. Well, at least it made me feel better.

I'm picking up the G7 this morning at B&H. I'm going to sell my 24-105 IS lens if I can pull myself away from it. For now I'll keep the 17-40 due to the wide angle and clarity of this lens. I also will keep the 50mm/f1.4 to use as my main camera set up (with the XTi).

Thanks for all the advice and input.

Liz

Thread Information