ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Got my eye one a film camera...(m

this is an F80 (N80) Nikon. I know I've asked about film cameras before but I cant remember if this was one that was recommended. What do you think? It's selling at just $300 AU it's in perfect cond. The seller says it's like new!
    Last edited by tink; 09-09-2005 at 03:34 PM.

Re: Got my eye one a film camera...(m

That one has about the same capabilities of the F100, but the AF and film advance is slower. Still pretty good unless you're into sports or low light (like concerts). Even with that, I've gotten pretty decent shots with my Fuji S2 which is built on an N80 body. Be sure to check out the price of good used F100's though, I just sold mine recently (very clean) for $400US. It's a big step up.

Quote Originally Posted by tink
    this is an F80 (N80) Nikon. I know I've asked about film cameras before but I cant remember if this was one that was recommended. What do you think? It's selling at just $300 AU it's in perfect cond. The seller says it's like new!
    I had an N80. It's hard to recommend it without knowing what you have and what you want, but it's generally a very nice camera. The biggest drawback as compared to an F100 is the AF speed - it's comparatively slow. I'm not sure about exchange rates, but I think that price is a little high. You can get a good one on Ebay for $150 US.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    I had an N80. It's hard to recommend it without knowing what you have and what you want, but it's generally a very nice camera. The biggest drawback as compared to an F100 is the AF speed - it's comparatively slow. I'm not sure about exchange rates, but I think that price is a little high. You can get a good one on Ebay for $150 US.

Unfortunatly our prices are not as cheap as yours. I wish!! Just had a look on ebay for the F100 and they're around the $700 to $800 AU mark!! Much much more than your quote!
    Maybe it's time I moved!! I think maybe it's cheaper to buy US and have it shipped here!!

I have both the N80 and the F100. Both bodies are very nice but the F100 is super fast compared to theN80. Build quality is also MUCH nicer on the 100 over the 80.
    F100-----Pro body
    N80-------Consumer level
    I have not used either body since going digital (d100 and D2x) more than 2 years ago and was thinking of selling one or both of them.
    I would sell one to you but I'm not sure if that is allowed here. Both are in new condition and not a single mark on either body.
    If not please remove this post.

Frank

Unfortunatly our prices are not as cheap as yours. I wish!! Just had a look on ebay for the F100 and they're around the $700 to $800 AU mark!! Much much more than your quote!
    Maybe it's time I moved!! I think maybe it's cheaper to buy US and have it shipped here!!
    Sorry, I meant the N80 was on Ebay for $150. The F100 is more like $400- $450. (All US$).

The information the other are giving you seem very accurate from my view point. I have an N80 that I love. How ever it has just sat idle since the D70 came into my life May a year ago. If price is a factor an N80 should be considered. I tried to trade mine on the D70 and the shop just plain didn't want it. They should be cheap now. However if you want more of a pro type construction the F100 would be the way to go. Even in Aus. you should find good deal on both bodies.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by beetlejuice
    I would sell one to you but I'm not sure if that is allowed here.
    Frank, we don't want to run classifieds in viewfinder but your post isn't specifically what we were talking about when that was decided. There are free classifieds on this site. If you two decide to work out a deal, please do it thru email or PM's though.

I know Peter has talked about differences between US and AUS prices, having nothing to do with the currency exchange rate. It's more than I would have guessed!

Cool Re: Got my eye one a film camera...(m

I have an N80 and a F5 and I love both of them.

The only real drawback I've found on the N80 is the autofocus speed. It's not all that bad. It has decent autofocus speed, especially in good light, and fast lenses help as well (though that's true with any camera body). If you've used a F100 or F5, you'll be spoiled at how fast the autofocus is, and the N80 is slow by comparison. I use my F5 for sports shots because it's faster, but I've taken my share of sport shots with the N80 before I got my F5.

The N80 is a very capable camera, with plenty of features and options, and you're not likely to out grow it. It's lighter, hence easier to pack around with you as well. I was worried that I wouldn't use my N80 after I got my F5, but it hasn't happened. I still use it more than the F5.

If you can afford a pro body, then I would recommend it. But if size and weight are considerations, or if you have a limited budget, then I would not hesitate to buy a N80.

Hope this helps.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information