ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Got commitment to buy images...questions about Shutterfly....

Well, I think I sold my first images today. I was hoping to get a little more for them then I did, but I think the most I can get for them is around $20. Not bad for a start since they want to buy more and its a small Division III college's athletic department. They're also my first client...so I really don't want to screw them so they don't come back to me.

While I was meeting with the Athletic Director and the Sports Information Director, they mentioned that they wanted me to sell to the parents through my website (since I've helped them in the past few weeks, they are going to give me free advertising space). I can't really put an e-commerce site up on my host since it's my ISP, and I can't host myself. Nor do I have the time to run back and forth between a photo printer and the post office.

I was thinking about using Shutterfly.com to host an online photo gallery where my images can be purchased. Does anyone here use Shutterfly? How do you like it? What alternatives are there to using that service?

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to get started with this soon.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Re: Got commitment to buy images...questions about Shutterfly....

I use printroom.com - it's easy to upload and i just upload to a new gallery for them to buy. If you want to see how the portraits look on there, click on my kids gallery - I think the password is haas. I can set the prices at anything I want - I set them at base price for my sister in law though!

http://www.printroom.com/ghome.asp?d...ledphotography if you want to see what it looks like.
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Thank you, Janie. I checked printroom.com out, and so far, they seem to be the better deal. Sure, I don't get as much space to host images, but then I don't plan on keeping images up too long. Their photo-finishing prices are lower than the prices in Shutterfly's base package,and I don't feel like paying an extra hundred dollars with them to get 40% off their list price.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Sorry I can't really help here, but congrads on the deal. Glad to hear you're getting something out of it, and hopefully it's worth your while. I think Photo John uses PrintRoom too, maybe he can tell you more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by masdog
    Thank you, Janie. I checked printroom.com out, and so far, they seem to be the better deal. Sure, I don't get as much space to host images, but then I don't plan on keeping images up too long. Their photo-finishing prices are lower than the prices in Shutterfly's base package,and I don't feel like paying an extra hundred dollars with them to get 40% off their list price.
    If you look at my page at http://fabledphotography.com you can see how seamless printroom.com works within a website too!
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Thread Information