ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Going Pro?

Going Pro?

So, I know some of you out there have had your work published and I needed the insight of the pros. A close friend of mine has a band that is putting out another album. He wants ME to take some pictures for it, the cover (potentially if it turns out the way they want), for promotions, etc. I was just wanting to take some pictures for them as more practice for me, but he is really serious! While I'm honored and excited, I'm curious since he mentioned payment, royalties, etc. I take pictures right now for fun and really had no desire to ever try to be a paid professional so I've never really looked into mainstream photography. I feel like this is skipping doing a friend's senior portraits and going straight into the real thing!

My friend said he is talking to his manager tomorrow, but I'm still sort of taken aback. I've known these guys for over 10 years, but I'd still like to be prepared if his agency decides to call me. Any suggestions on doing some research? Obviously I understand the concept of copyright and my name stamped on their photos, but what else is out there? As always, your feedback is graciously appreciated!!

yeah...eek

Nat
    Last edited by natgaines; 11-25-2008 at 05:01 AM.
    "I say, when life gives you lemons, use it so the salt sticks to your margarita glass":devil:
    -Me

www.flickr.com/photos/natashaleigh

drg

Re: Going Pro?

Do not underprice your work is the best single piece of advice I can quickly offer.

Check a publication or book such as 2009 Photographer's Market for ideas of how the photographs/artwork need to be priced or licensed. It will give you some idea of the various terminology that will come into play and what you may need to ask more questions about!

It is surprising where album art/photos can pop up for use years down the road!

Best of luck and feel free to pm if you'd like. There are a couple of other regular posters on PR who have done some of this type of work and one or two I can think of in the past the have also.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Nat,
    I stumbled on to this a while back while researching something else, but it seems to have a lot of info geared toward the business end of things: http://www.danheller.com/biz-audience.html

Thank you both so much! I'll have to check those sites out. I'll let you know how it turns out! *Crosses fingers*
    "I say, when life gives you lemons, use it so the salt sticks to your margarita glass":devil:
    -Me

www.flickr.com/photos/natashaleigh

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    Do not underprice your work is the best single piece of advice I can quickly offer...
    I disagree with this completely. If you are just starting out as a pro, or certainly if you have no desire to go pro, the best single piece of advice I can give is: don't get hung up on the money part of this. It's not that important...

In today's market, musical album art have very little value. Unless you or the band are famous, that is. :23:

Stock images are basically being given away at ridiculously low rates. Nearly anyone with a camera can take a decent band photo. You have no leverage, money-wise, unless you are already a name shooter with a highly desirable style, or your client is on emergency deadline and you are producing the needed artwork in a rush.

Even established pros trade-out or work dirt cheap when collaborating with friends. One of my best friends in Miami had a successful local band, and I did their publicity shots, show posters, and album artwork for years for free. He'd buy me beers at their gigs. For me, at the time, that was a fair exchange... :arf:

The world of art is not always governed by money...

I would just have fun with this, cover your expenses with maybe a little something for yourself, do the best job that you can, and enjoy the kick that comes from seeing your artwork on an album cover...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information