ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Going to Glacier & the Tetons, any suggestions?

The wife and I are taking off to spend 2 weeks in Glacier National Park, and Grand Teton National Park. I have a couple books on Glacier, and on Tetons, but I haven't found the time to go through them yet. It's been 15 years since I was in the Tetons, and that was just passing through. Neither of us have been to Glacier before, so we're both pretty excited.

Do you have any suggestions on what trails to hike, or know of any out of the way hot spots that most "tourist's" miss? Any great photo spots, or placed to eat?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Going to Glacier & the Tetons, any suggestions?

On the eastern side, as you exit the Going to the Sun road and head north to the other park entrance is the Supper Club. You will have the best steak and lobster on the planet.

oh..going back to the park. Spend time on both sides of the park. You will see a lot more wild life on the eastern side, but it is the most beautiful park I have ever been too. I loved it...

The Going to the Sun Road must be done early, before sunrise, because you will have a ton of traffic otherwise.

The Grand Tetons are also a site. It will be very busy this time of year so get out early to see the wild life. sunrise and sunset are beautiful, but people will camp out good spots to take photos.

Have fun...they are two great american parks.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Thanks for the advice Loren! I'm not thrilled about the time of year we are going, but with the wife in school, and taking summer courses, this is about the only time we can go, so we will make the most of it. I do plan on getting up early to start our days, but I'm not sure how the wife will handle that. I did warn her!!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    The wife and I are taking off to spend 2 weeks in Glacier National Park, and Grand Teton National Park. I have a couple books on Glacier, and on Tetons, but I haven't found the time to go through them yet. It's been 15 years since I was in the Tetons, and that was just passing through. Neither of us have been to Glacier before, so we're both pretty excited.

Do you have any suggestions on what trails to hike, or know of any out of the way hot spots that most "tourist's" miss? Any great photo spots, or placed to eat?
    In the Tetons, the Cascade Canyon Trail is fantastic. You can take the boat over to the trailhead or walk around the lake to get there. The trail starts out very crowded but most people turn back within the first mile.

This trail runs between two of the peaks and ends on another trail that runs along the ridge. Really cool views the entire way.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

I stumbled on this site a couple of years ago, it has all of the Tetons hot spots for photography. Also there's another pretty nice National Park just north of the Tetons you may want to check out....
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Thanks for the advice Michael!!

Thanks for the link EOS, I will be sure to check it out when I get home. As for the "other" park, I'm sure we will drive through it. There is a photography seminar going on there the same time we will be in the area, so I may stop there for a day to check that out.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

"I'm sure we will drive through it"

I remember when I visited Jellystone in high school and couldn't believe the traffic, but just enjoy the scenery and don't worry about getting to your destination fast. Even if it takes an extra hour or so, you cannot believe landscapes.

Lamar Valley is amazing.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Just remember, bears think you are food!
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I haven't been to Glacier and it's been so long since I was at the Tetons I'll be of no help with specifics. I just wanted to say I hope you are flying in to Jackson Hole, because that is the coolest airport I've ever landed at. The view of the Tetons, from the plane window as you approach and from the runway as you exit the plane, is fantastic.

Last time I landed there I was setting out for a backpacking trip to the Cirque of the Towers in the Bridger Wilderness. It's east of Jackson Hole by an hour or two drive. We hiked down the Big Sandy trail, past Big Sandy Lake and it was some of the most beautiful wilderness I've seen. No worries about traffic, either. If you have time to alter your plans a little, google "Cirque of the Towers" and see if it looks interesting to you. I can help with more specifics of that area if you decide to check it out.

Also, I discovered a few nights ago that Google Earth is a really fun way to prepare for a hike. I was able to put myself into almost exactly the same vantage point from which I took many of my photos in the Cirque. Once you pick out some trails, see if you can find them on Google Earth.

Paul

Google Earth is a great idea Paul! I haven't played with it much, but this gives me a good excuse! We won't be flying into anywhere. We are going to be breaking in the new "family-truckster" for this trip. The Cirque of the Towers sounds pretty cool, but I dought we would make it there on this trip. I will have to check it out tho, and maybe we can hit it on the way out, or way back if it isn't too far out of the way.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Google Earth is a great idea Paul! I haven't played with it much, but this gives me a good excuse! We won't be flying into anywhere. We are going to be breaking in the new "family-truckster" for this trip. The Cirque of the Towers sounds pretty cool, but I dought we would make it there on this trip. I will have to check it out tho, and maybe we can hit it on the way out, or way back if it isn't too far out of the way.
    I had not used Google Earth before a few weeks ago. There are different levels of resolution in different areas, so don't give up if what you see at first is no good. Keep looking. I'm planning a trip to the Weminuche Wilderness in Colorado and the resolution in that area stinks. But, looking at the Cirque area, I was able to see a 3 x 10 ft rock that jets out into one of the alpine lakes we slept by. You'd be able to see me standing there, if the picture had been taken when I was out there pumping water from the lake. It's really amazing.

Also, I probably should have mentioned...to see the Cirque, you have to either do a very hard day hike, or spend a night out on the trail. Not sure if that's something you and your wife are in to, but if you're willing to spend a couple of nights out there, you can see a lot. You won't see much from the car or short hikes.

Have fun on your trip, and make sure to post some pictures when you return. I'm looking forward to visiting Glacier one day.

Paul

Bump!

This thread is a little old but I thought I would try to add to it instead of posting a new one. I'm taking a week and heading back to the Tetons for a solo photo excursion this fall. Anyone have any tips on hot spots for wildlife in the park? I'm mostly looking for bear, moose and wolves. Also, any hidden hot spots for landscapes? I do plan to get away from the roads and main areas and do some hiking. Day hikes only, no overnight stuff.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information