ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liz

Fun with a new camera!

I purchased the Olympus E-P1 about 2 weeks ago - and like a good PR member, posted my "official" first tryout shots on the Olympus forum. However, these are just fun shots while out enjoying a Sunday after noon with a friend in NJ. I love this camera!!!!!! It's so much fun - just like carrying a Rangefinder around, not to mention the great IQ it gets straight out of the camera. Makes for a fun time.

Liz

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: Fun with a new camera!

Nice. I have my eye on the EP-1. Sadly, purchasing it would seriously offset my current goal.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Nice LIz. I love putting a new camera through it's paces. It sure looks like the Oly is a keeper. Love that last one with the flowers and the window.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Liz

Alex - thanks for looking. Hmmmm.....what is your current goal? I would keep my eye on the E-P1 too!

OT - thanks. This camera is sure a lot of fun - these are straight out of the camera. There is a bit of a tough learning curve that I haven't begun to attempt - just wanted to have a fun day. I'm happy with the results shot on auto - so IMO the images can only improve with a few tweaks. At least I know what it is capable of.

Liz

Liz

A few more..........

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Alex - thanks for looking. Hmmmm.....what is your current goal? I would keep my eye on the E-P1 too
    Downpayment on a House.

'nuf said.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Wow. Great shots. I know how weight can be an issue. I am glad things worked out.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Axle
    Downpayment on a House.

'nuf said.
    OK! Gotcha! :thumbsup:

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Wow. Great shots. I know how weight can be an issue. I am glad things worked out.
    Thanks Greg.....I do like this camera. I haven't really done anything with it except use it in auto. I'm hoping to get some time to begin the learning curve this coming weekend - and at least fool with some of the settings.

And yes, the weight is perfect.

BTW, it is soooo good to see you around and posting once again. I hope you're feeling good too.

Liz

trigger happy geriatric.

Fabulous stuff, Liz.

Not taken with a Nikon or Canon, then? ROFL

Seriously, nice stuff.

Liz,

Those photo's are terrific. Love the colour and clarity.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

That first one is especially stunning!

Those first two look like great places to visit!

Great shots and congrats on the new camera!
    Amber
    cam: Sony a100 DSLR
    Please do not edit my images.. thanks

I look at two things in images from a new camera:

1. The way the highlights burn out (or not). Example: the sky in the waterfall image and in the car going over the bridge.
    2. The differentiation in the mid-tones where you have lots of detail to render. Example: the flowers in the first image and the wall in the tunnel

These images look fine to me, just like a DSLR would have done. The images are beutiful and you want to have them.

- On my Fuji F40 point-and-shoot it would have been more abrupt. A souvenir but not something I would print. I keep it in my town bag just in case I see something. In fact I mostly use it for videos
    - On my 3Mpix mobile phone it would have been a right carnage.

Hummm... So this thing does video as well? And it has a little pancake lens that makes it almost as compact as my point-and-shoot..
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Liz

Thanks everyone! It's really fun to share new camera photos with PR friends!

Dave - Yes, until the E-P1 I've used Canon since I began taking photography seriously - about 10 years ago when I purchased my first Canon SLR.... I still can't believe I sold all of my Canon gear! But the good news is that I don't miss it.

Roger - I'm also impressed with the clarity and color rendition of the E-P1. One of my concerns giving up Canon was the Canon color which I always loved. However, the E-P1 more than meets the test! :thumbsup:

Liz

Liz

Thanks for the comments!

Amber - this is one of my favorite places to visit for photo ops. It's a small town (Clinton) in New Jersey and once in a while a friend and I drive down there. It's very pleasant - and fun. My favorite spot is NYC - Clinton is quite the opposite. However, I love street photography and you can't beat NYC for photo ops there!

Cara Rose.......thank you. I didn't think the images would come out as well as they did as the sun was just about set - and dusk was setting in. However, the E-P1 is quite good in low light so I was pleasantly surprised. A few images were a bit dull, but not all.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais

1. The way the highlights burn out (or not). Example: the sky in the waterfall image and in the car going over the bridge.
    2. The differentiation in the mid-tones where you have lots of detail to render. Example: the flowers in the first image and the wall in the tunnel

These images look fine to me, just like a DSLR would have done. The images are beutiful and you want to have them.

- On my Fuji F40 point-and-shoot it would have been more abrupt. A souvenir but not something I would print. I keep it in my town bag just in case I see something. In fact I mostly use it for videos

Hummm... So this thing does video as well? And it has a little pancake lens that makes it almost as compact as my point-and-shoot..
    Charles,

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to comment specifically on the images. I've learned from your way of evaluating the images. I will use this with my own "tests" with images shot with the E-P1 and the lenses I choose. I'm not always sure what to look for, so this is great!

I find the E-P1 is excellent in clarity and detail, better than my XTi with some good glass.

I'm also quite amazed at how well the camera - and the "kit" lens does on auto - the camera knows how to choose the right settings. I'll be trying out new settings soon, but in the meantime I'm having a lot of fun. The kit lens is one of the best I've seen - with the exception of the (much) more expensive lenses.

There is a 17mm/f2.8 M4/3 Pancake lens that can be purchased along with the 14-42 as a kit (I think you save $100 vs buying both lenses outright, but not sure). You can also purchase the 17mm lens separately - I think it's about $299. I think I read where there is some distortion, but not enough to write home about. From what I've read, it's a very nice lens.

I haven't paid much attention to the video aspect. However, I did read somewhere along the way that it's not the best. You might want to google some reviews on the video. I don't have much interest in it, so haven't paid too much attention.

BTW, I just read where Yoshihisa Maitani - the designer of the original Olympus PEN just died. Here is the article.........or one of them.

http://www.adorama.com/alc/news/Yosh...sign-Guru-Dies

Thanks again......I'm most grateful.

Liz

Liz

Charles - I found some "test" E-P1 test videos by Uwe Steinmueller. They look pretty good - I guess if you know what you're doing. :thumbsup:

http://vimeo.com/5882154

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais

Hello Liz,
    It's so wonderful to see that your passion for photography remains strong. Your images are super...amazing how far you've come from so many years ago. Sorry I've been a stranger.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    Hello Liz,
    It's so wonderful to see that your passion for photography remains strong. Your images are super...amazing how far you've come from so many years ago. Sorry I've been a stranger.
    Hey there Charles!

It's so good to have you around PR again! I've missed you as I'm sure many others have. How have you been? I hope you too are still using your photography skills - and getting some enjoyment and fun from it. I miss your wonderful street photos.

Thanks for commenting - I hope you will stay around and share some of your beautiful images.

Liz

Liz

I just ordered the Panasonic 45-200 lens after viewing some sharp images - with good color from this lens. It's a bit heavy, but just about the lightest zoom available that gives good results. At any rate, I'll give it a shot when it arrives tomorrow.

I'm going to lake George in less than 2 weeks and wanted a longer zoom for vacation.

Here's the lens........

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...6_G_Vario.html

ETA

Images from the E-P1 & 45-200mm zoom. Note: all on this Smugmug page were from this lens. However, some shots on other pages are with the 14-42 (just in case you "turn the page")

http://aroundomaha.smugmug.com/galle...95244535_dkViR

Liz

Congratulations on your new camera Liz!

The photo's are great, as your photo's always are.

The first one is my favorite. I love the bright red and the reflection.

It amazes me sometimes what you can do with an advanced compact. The Coolpix 5700 I used to shoot with took awesome photo's. It lacked the flexibility and responsiveness of a DSLR, but it never let me down. It was a consistent and quality performer.

Keep shooting and keep posting!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I just ordered the Panasonic 45-200 lens after viewing some sharp images - with good color from this lens
    How does the Panasonic OIS work with the Olympus sensor-shift?
    Do you need to turn off OIS or sensor-shift ... or do you get double the image stabilisation !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Liz

Thank you, Speed........

I really like this camera. It is the perfect camera for me with the lighter weight and size - and the image quality is comparable to my XTi with good glass. I was very surprised when I saw the images straight out-of-camera the first time I used it. The detail and clarity are amazing.

I appreciate your comments.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    How does the Panasonic OIS work with the Olympus sensor-shift?
    Do you need to turn off OIS or sensor-shift ... or do you get double the image stabilisation !
    That's a great question. I did a some research to try and find something "official" on using both in-camera and lens IS - but couldn't find anything.

I read some articles that suggest they both should not be used together. The example they use is if the (IS) lens stablizes the image, the (IS) body will detect that and this might cause less IS effect.

Some of the actual user reviews included statements about making a choice between the two as to which would produce the better image.

However, I read some comments by the photographer who shot the above images who said he used both at the same time in his shots. He wasn't sure if he got the benefit of "both worlds" but he said he is very happy with the outcome - it certainly didn't do any harm. His images look fine to me.

I'll try all three when I get my lens.

Liz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information