ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Photoshop Question

I often hear people refer to doing a burn in Photoshop. I know what the end result is, but I have no idea how to achieve it.

Basically, I am self taught in PS, and I want to learn more, so pardon me if I seem naive regarding PS or if my terminology isn't quite right.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Sound like a space shuttle maneuver... :)

Max,

I can only assume you mean the PS equivalent to the darkroom procedures of DODGING and BURNING a print, dodging making areas lighter and burning making them darker.

If this is it, then like just about anything you want to do in PS, there are many ways to accomplish it...

The key is to work on DUPLICATE layers (or use ADJUSTMENT layers) of your image, so you're not altering the original. The most obvious tool is the BURN tool (a hand icon located about half way down on the right on your tool palette).

It works much like a brush (use the left and right bracket keys to change the size, and the top pulldown menus to alter the characteristics of the tool). You then mouse click over the areas of your image that you want to darken.

Another way to darken things like skies or frame edges is use create a new layer over your image, then use a gradient tool (just above the burn tool) to create a graduated light to dark (or one color to another) pattern, then change the layer mode (very top of the layers palette) so that only the tone is applied, and the rest of the image stays the same.

One other way is to create a duplicate layer over your image layer, make changes to that layer such as curves or levels or hue/saturation, then mask the entire layer (add layer mask icon on bottom of layers palette), FILL the entire mask with white, then PAINT in with a soft black brush the areas you want darkened.

BTW, this last method, using masks, gives you the most control over the effect on your image.

I realize this is a lot to digest if you're not used to using these tools, but take it slow, and if you have any questions about any of the steps, just ask.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thanks. I'll give the above a try. And then try again. ;)

Thread Information