ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

front element shatter!

Yup, had my first shatter today at the Jax Beach Pier. Well... actually it was the UV protective filter I had on the front of my 70-200mm f/4L. I was trying to harness a cooler to my dad's trike when I dropped it a good 3 and a half feet onto the boardwalk. It landed face down on concrete. Lucky for me I had it in a Lowpro lens bag, so that softened the impact. But it didn't save the filter. I am not really to worried about that, after all, why else would I put another piece of glass between the world and my L glass. This little incident and really served to reaffirm my faith in protective filters.

You live, you learn. I just wish I didn't have to learn with my good lenses. :blush2:
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: front element shatter!

You were trying to harness a cooler to a trike while holding a camera?
    I guess this will start the debate about uv filters again but you've wone the first round.
    The lens is ok?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    You were trying to harness a cooler to a trike while holding a camera?
    I guess this will start the debate about uv filters again but you've wone the first round.
    The lens is ok?
    The lens seems fine. You could never tell anything happened to it by looking at it. I took the pic below shortly after getting setteled in at the pier. My camera was in a holster slung around my shoulder. It had the 24-105 on it. The 70-200 was in the lens pouch.... cring.... laying on the cooler.

Live and learn. :idea:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front element shatter!-img_9243.jpg  
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Moose Peterson has filters on his lenses. Why? He said he had bird's poo poo dropped on his lens before...you know...right on the wrong part of the lens.

Thread Information