ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: "Focus"

"Focus"

What does it mean to you?

To me it's many things. Finding an interesting subject, walking around it, looking for the perfect light, getting ready, and going for the peak action. For that time, there is nothing else on my mind, yet I still somehow manage to scan the area around me staying open to developing action.

It can also be my habit of going out and shooting one thing and one thing only, hoping to get better at it.

Or my current drive to learn how to become a better storyteller with my images.

The more I shoot, the more it becomes about how I treat a subject or scene, and less about what part of the scene is "in" focus.

How about you?
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

It's funny you mention this...

I was talking to my wife last night about something like this. I told her she will have to bear with me for some time, because I will be spending more time with my photography. There are a myriad of reasons (some of which Seb and me have discussed through email, but does not really have anyhting to do with this subject).
    One of the reasons, though, was that I feel really "focused" right now (I used that same exact word last night). What this means to me is that I'm "seeing" things well, getting good composition, and I'm becoming more dedicated to either getting up early or staying at a place late to catch the good light.
    I'm have also been more focused on learning more about exposure and tonal contrast, which the D70 has certainly been a great tool to learn on because of the instant results.
    In short, I'm gaining more confidence in myself and thus I am more focused on learning the craft.

Great post Seb,
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. - Ansel Adams

I agree with everything you said. Additionally:

My first thought of "focus" is a mind-set, a sort of tunnel vision. But it's also a "viewpoint".

I think we need to look for the right "focus" (viewpoint), and that takes thought. Sometimes it might be easy to think we're in focus, when in reality we don't have a clue how we're approaching a subject. For instance: "I'm going to compose what I see" vs. "I'm going to see before I compose." Seeing and thinking before composing gives us time to find our focus.

And finally, our focus should transfer through our pictures, so the viewer knows exactly what our focus was.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Brian,

It's not the first time we felt similarly about something.

Kelly,

That is exactly what I'm talking about. If I was a pro athlete, I would call it "being in the zone."
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Focus---is what my husband and I have to say to each other when we are eacjh talking about something so utterly boring to the other than in the bored person's brain we only hear the sound of Charlie Brown's teacher(WAWAW WAAA WAA WAWAW WAAA WAA)

photographically speaking--- focus is that thing I'm forever searching for tthat keeps me from cutting out limbs, including pertinent elements to represent a wole story, that passion for getting every element and freezing it as it is my brain--- and lastly focus is the thing that keeps me locked in on my goal of being a photographer even though my official title is stay at home mom...for now.

focus is the light at the end of my tunnel
    ;)

Good topic
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thread Information