ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    My name is Alex, not Eric ;)

Flying with camera gear?

In about 10 days I'm flying out to Lakeville, CT, more specificly Lime Rock Park Raceway, to be on a pit crew again. I haven't been on a plane since '97 so my question is, am I going to get hasseled about bringing my camera bag as my carry on? My camera bag is just a normal sized back pack type one. It will just be one body, a couple lenses, flash cards, battery charger and some filters.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Flying with camera gear?

I don't think so at all. I carry my Tamrac Expedition 7 on planes with a 35mm system AND a 645 system in it, and though it requires a little elbow grease sometimes to wedge it into the overhead bins, so far no complaints
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    I don't think so at all. I carry my Tamrac Expedition 7 on planes with a 35mm system AND a 645 system in it, and though it requires a little elbow grease sometimes to wedge it into the overhead bins, so far no complaints
    Ok cool. I really did not want to check my gear bag, the can kick the crap out of my clothes and Eureka backpacking bag but I'm not letting those monkies touch my camera stuff.

edit

I just noticed that the team I'm going to be helping again was in your neck of the woods last weekend.

No problems here. Once in SF they used that explosives sniffer thingy on the bag and in Chicago they asked what my TTL flash cable was for - just doing their jobs.

You would probably have to check a tripod (if you're bringing one). However on a recent flight from Chicago to Atlanta somebody brought one on, not in a bag or anything, and put it in the overhead bin with no questions asked.

I don't plan on bringing a tripod or remote release cable so it looks like I should be good to go.

I bring my Lowepro AW bag with my Domke bag, and very rarely do I get bothered. I've even brought my tripod onboard as well. The hardest thing is to get enough overhead space if you are last on the plane.
    Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

You are allowed one carry-on bag and one "personal item," which can be a purse, briefcase, camera bag, etc. Both items must fit in the overhead space or under the seat in front of you. You can get the dimensions for the allowable size off the website of any of the airlines.

My camera requires additional screening at security, maybe 2/3 of the time I fly. You may be asked to demonstrate that it is a real working camera and/or have it check for explosive residue using the swab test they do.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I flew with mine about 2 years ago, and I just carried it in a backpack with me on the plane. There's no way I'm gonna let that bag be checked in. I'd like to have it back, and in working condition.

My sister had a saxaphone demolished, and we almost had to sue the airline to get the money from it. I don't want to go through that with my camera equipment.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Thread Information