ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Florence, Rome...film?

Hello,
    I'll be traveling to Rome, Tuscany and Florence next week. I'm looking for any suggestions on what kind of film to buy 35mm color and black and white. Also any great places for photo ops.
    I generally use Fuji 400 speed pro color film (I forget the name) and Ilford 400 Hp for people photos. I'm not thrilled with the Fuji performance in non-people shots.
    Thanks,
    K

You might be using Fuji's NPH...great film for skin tones but its neutral colors aren't ideal for landscapes and scenes where you want the vibrant colors to show. I would suggest staying with 400-speed film. Today's emulsions are excellent, and ISO 400 will give you good speeds for almost any kind of shooting. Fuji's 400 X-tra will give you the 'pop' in colors. Delta 400 is also a nice film, though I'd suggest you include a few rolls of Tri-X, which can be pushed several stops in case you want to do some night shooting. Enjoy, and make sure you post some photos when you return.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    You might be using Fuji's NPH...great film for skin tones but its neutral colors aren't ideal for landscapes and scenes where you want the vibrant colors to show. I would suggest staying with 400-speed film. Today's emulsions are excellent, and ISO 400 will give you good speeds for almost any kind of shooting. Fuji's 400 X-tra will give you the 'pop' in colors. Delta 400 is also a nice film, though I'd suggest you include a few rolls of Tri-X, which can be pushed several stops in case you want to do some night shooting. Enjoy, and make sure you post some photos when you return.
    Thanks for the advice. I went to NH recently and foolishly used NPH for landscape...HATED the results. Don't want that to happen in Florence. Now, I pray that B and H will ship to me in time.
    K

Don't miss Sienna

Quote Originally Posted by kdanyko
    Hello,
    I'll be traveling to Rome, Tuscany and Florence next week. I'm looking for any suggestions on what kind of film to buy 35mm color and black and white. Also any great places for photo ops.
    I generally use Fuji 400 speed pro color film (I forget the name) and Ilford 400 Hp for people photos. I'm not thrilled with the Fuji performance in non-people shots.
    Thanks,
    K
    I would really love to go back to Tuscany. I only had 30 minutes in Sienna but the historical center really impressed me.

I agree with Charles (Hess) about Xtra-400 if you only have one camera. When I'm travelling I try to take two cameras loaded with :

1. Slow colour film (Fuji Provia slide or Reala negative)
    2. 400 ISO chromogenic black-and-white (Ilford XP2)

I find that when you've got unfavourable light conditions - as you often do have when you're moving around and can't choose the time of day you visit things - a black and white landscape often looks better than a colour one. Plus of course you can still use black and white for people and interiors. Just remember that XP2 (unlike HP5) is almost grainless. You might not like the effect.

Charles (the other one).

Consumer film is easy to find

Quote Originally Posted by kdanyko
    Thanks for the advice. I went to NH recently and foolishly used NPH for landscape...HATED the results. Don't want that to happen in Florence. Now, I pray that B and H will ship to me in time.
    K
    You can find Xtra 400 almost anywhere - at the airport, supermarkets, minlabs, souvenir shops..

Charles (the other one)

Thanks Charles2

I won't miss Siena. We have planned to spend at least one there.
    We may also try Lucca and Pisa.
    I will bring two bodies.
    I have a wedding to shoot too. Fortunately, I'm not the hired photographer, just the sister in law.
    Kath

When in Rome... I can't really help you much on the color neg film (use a lot of Portra 400NC but I don't think that's what you're looking for) but a couple of thoughts for B&W:

Like Charles says, Tri-X can be pushed to 1600 with good results - but it will require careful developing for best results. It's a classic film and I've used at 400 and 800 (no change in developing at 800, so the lab that does your HP5 could easily do it). Classic, not grain free - but to me that's part of the beauty of B&W film. It's the 50th anniversary of Tri-X, btw!

I'm a big fan of 3200 speed B&W bilms too. Ilford Delta 3200 has softer contrast and works better in harsh lighting (concerts, etc). It has smooth grain to it as well, but best at ISO1600. I have used it at 3200 and it's not bad either.

Kodak's T-Max 3200 is grainier, but I like it. It's a higher contrast film and I use it in less contrasty light, like the inside of a church for available light (no flash) photography - wedding preparations, etc. This film is best exposed at 1600 as well. Both need careful developing; take them to a pro lab that does custom B&W work if you can.

Any fast film - including Tri-X if exposed at 800 or 1600 - will need a hand inspection at the airport. Bring some stickers (I use blank Avery return address labels) and a Sharpie marker. Write the ISO number you exposed the film at so you don't forget, and hopefully help your case for a hand inspection. Have a great trip!

Thread Information