ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Flickr THIEF beware!

About the only way to really secure images on the net is by using flash. The problem is, that's over almost all casual user's heads, and of course you have the issue that not everyone viewing your site may have flash. But, being an avid internet user, flash is the only device I've come across that truly secures images. They may still be accessible through flash, but I've never been able to find a way to save an image in flash, whether through a browser or other program.

Other than that, if it's on the internet, you have to assume that it is accessible and savable to and by anyone. This is especially true on massive public sharing sites, like flickr, versus, for example, this site's forum where you must be a member to see an attached photo, which means it is far less likely to have a random person save it.

The thing is, as pointed out above, in almost all cases people are harmless users - even though they may technically wrongfully obtain or claim your image, most of the time they're merely sharing it with their own friends, adding it to favorites, or something along those lines. They aren't going to try to publish it somewhere or somehow make money from it. The only way to give notice to them and anyone else that it's your image is to watermark it - EXIF is good, but is very easy to get rid of via resaving the image - where as watermarking requires, at minimum, cropping it off of the image.

Point being, even though you can't control your images on the 'net, your actual risks are extremely low.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Re: Flickr THIEF beware!

Quote Originally Posted by Alison

Not easy when you are a portrait photographer and you want your work displayed BEFORE you can get clients.
    Coming from that direction....

I did it as well, in fact, used to be a week didn't go by when you didn't see my kids on this site. Were they lifted? Maybe. Do I care? Well, the thought of my kids images floating around who knows where is a little unsettling. But that was before "business" when I was learning and sharing my results. I've learned tons and tons here, and wouldn't have if I was afraid someone was going to steal my photos.

HOWEVER....how many clients do you get from flickr? If it's something that upsets you, is it worth the risk? I know where my clients come from and 99% of them only find me online (website/blog) AFTER they've heard about me someplace else.

In general, anything you put online is fair game. Is it right? No, but it's fact.

The fear of what MIGHT happen shouldn't make your decisions. What kind of life is that? So you weigh the choices. You want clients. You don't want your photos lifted. Well...if not putting images out there for potential clients to see is going to cost you those potential clients, is preventing that guy from having them in his flickr site worth that? On the other hand, say you knew your photos were being used for unsavory business. Knowing that, would you ignore it because you are getting clients?

Choices, choices, and more choices. That's what life is.

adina

btw....yeah, I've had photos stolen, scanned, you name it. It sucks. And I was angry. But for every butthead, there's a dozen really great people.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information