ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Flash -- the unpopular accessory?

I've been approached by two separate friends who are slowly getting in to photography. Both have newer DSLRs and 2 lenses each. Their second lenses are large aperture primes with their kit lens. They always ask me for advice and most recently I told both of them to buy external flashes. Neither of them felt like a flash was necessary. Coincidentally, both wanted long zooms but neither could tell me what scenario they would use a telephoto lens. I also advised of a flash because both are always using their camera at indoor parties/gathering.

I personally only use the pop up flash when I have no choice. I also don't like draining my battery with the pop flash. My friends believe it's enough.

Do you find it difficult to sell people on the value of a flash? Anyone see this belief among their friends new to photography?
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

n8

Re: Flash -- the unpopular accessory?

I was the same way for a long time as I just feel natural light looks better, but the more I learn about flash use, diffusion and modification, as well as multiple flashes and wireless triggering, I'm getting a lot more into it.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

They just need to see the benefit of bounced flash and off camera flash for themselves. Yeah, a shot from a DSLR with a fast lens and a pop up is a step up from a point and shoot. But not by much. As they get better they will figure it out.

I go both ways with and without flash. I guess it depends on my mood.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Flash is a fickle and harsh mistress. I to was rather turned off of it when I first got my dSLR in 2007, I had one, but it showed that I wasn't too good at using it, and rarely did.

(SB-800, on camera, bare iTTL)

Aiming the head directly at the subject, harsh shadows. I would more often opt for a fast prime and high ISO. But a year later I had done some reading, and learned some tricks and picked up an accessory, and my flash work drastically improved.

(SB-800, on camera, gary fong lightsphere clear, iTTL)

You just have to watch out, once you've figured out the on camera flash (and yes, I'm still learning with that) you'll want to move onto off camera techniques.

(1 SB-800, M 1/1 shoot thru umbrella, 1 SB-600 M 1/2 Softbox, Elinchrom Skyports as triggers)
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Flash, and other non-natural lighting techniques, seem to be a whole different area in the craft of photographer that is as alien to some as post processing is to others. As with all areas of the craft, I think we should at least know what it is that we decide not to use. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

We are critical with ourselves and we believe the harsh shadow in the the back is well....harsh. Plus this shot is a bit washed out. As we progress we are able to avoid this type of flash shots as you have progressed in your other samples. Love the bridal shot by the way.

On the other hand (when I'm not trying to be fancy/artistic/dramatic), I would rather have this shot instead instead of something poorly lit from a pop up flash. I would't want to go crazy with a high ISO. I appreciate a flash to have nice clear photos when shooting a regular family event. I think a pop up flash makes a DSLR like a P&S.

Should we start a challenge thread "best shots with only pop flash" to see if I'm wrong?
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

With any photography tool you have to learn how to use it, just like shooting in manual mode. I used to think my buddy was crazy for using off camera flash techniques, he has gone on to get a wireless remote system and does some really nice shots with them.I got a off camera cord for my flash and it has opened up a lot more shooting ideas. As we all know it doesn't cost film and developing with digital so experiment are used for learning what you can do with your gear.Get a good flash and play!
    Jimmy B

Quote Originally Posted by poker
    Do you find it difficult to sell people on the value of a flash? Anyone see this belief among their friends new to photography?
    Yeah, I really do. Mostly because I don't fully believe the value is there myself. When you can buy a midrange monolight for 30% less than a speedlight, it makes it a hard sell for me. Nikon SB's are wonderful outdoors in ttl mode, but not so much in the environments I shoot indoors. My quantum seems to strike a good balance but try convincing a newbie they need to spend more on the flash than they just spent on that brand new body

What's an easy sell? REFLECTORS!!! cheap, cordless, and efficient

No, I haven't seen this type of difficulty. I am also very fond of photography & I do do it mostly for outdoor purpose..

Indoor a bounce flash softens the light of the flash. I like my daughter's SB unit
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

A lens is always more sexy than a flash

Many people new to dSLRs don't realize that a fantastic lens in crappy lighting can be easily out-trumped by a well-placed, well-used flash with an average lens.

So much can be done with one strobe and one trigger - even with just an off-shoe cord.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thread Information